IGNORED

New Player Rater...

andy g

yes I know we've only had two friendlies, but what your first impressions of our new recruits ? (and our trialists too if you know what their names are !)

This is my assessment

Nyatanga (7) thought he looked solid in the second half tonight and he made a couple of calm heads back to the keeper. Ok, seven is quite a good score for a defence which let in four goals tonight, but cant really blame him for any of them.

Gerkin (5) struggled with his kicking and had a couple of moments of confusion with his back line. not the greatest start and it was one of his weak clearances which set up their second goal.

Hartley (6) didnt really do a huge amount and certainly not the quickest about the pitch, but was impressed by his confidence and willingness to take charge. seems to be another player in the Lee Johnson mould.

Clarkson (4) feel sorry for him really because he seemed to be out on the left for the whole first half and didnt really get a chance to impress as a striker. (I assume that's what we bought him for !) but didnt really get a kick unfortunately.

Haynes (6) a promising start. he showed pace and the ability to go past players BUT he let himself down with his passing every time. with some better crossing we might have grabbed a consolation tonight.

Definitely room for improvement, but early days I suppose.

With marks out of 10 my first impressions were thus:-

Gerkin - looked a bit of a "flapper", kicking needs work and was certainly not impressed with the way in which (Plenty of strong industrial language which i don't think Bradley took to kindly to) he demanded Bradley take a free kick just outside his area in front of the Dolman. Nothing to set the world on fire but not a lot he could do with either goal, that he conceded both clinically taken. don't think either "Believe" or Hendo will have to many sleepless nights based on this performance. Out of 10 - 5.

Nyatanga - looked assured on the ball and willing to break forward. Possibly a little on the short side for a "commanding" central defender, if thats what we bought him for, but for me comparing him to Jamie M. who played on the left in the first and i thought had a shocker, was certainly an improvement. Out of 10 - 7.

Haynes - certainly looked like he wanted the ball and was prepared to run with it, albeit where he was destined at times it appeared only he knew. Does not duck out of a tackle and seems to like to over hit crosses. Certainly one of our better performers in the second half but if i am being picky his first touch on several occasions was anywhere within a 10 feet radius of his new RED boots (Bet he didnt wear them at Portman Road) Out of 10 - 7.

Hartley - Why he did not start was a tad strange? Obviously likes a tackle but similar to others it appears as part of his welcome tour to our fine city he has certainly visited "Clarks pie shop" in Two Mile Hill. As Ajax passed round and through him not really seen enough to make a lot of comment yet. out of 10 - 6 (mainly on past achievements, not what he did or was allowed to do last night).

The Greek at the back - Looked totally out of his depth. Just where does Gary's brother who is meant to be our European scout find these "triallists" he seriously cannot be watching them live before they are invited over. So the likes of You Tube and Wikipedia being searched from an office in BS3 seems to have a hell of a lot to answer for. Out of 10 - 3. Taxi already departed with our Greek friend.

The Finn/Russian in midfield - At least he looked like he could hit a dead ball (JUST WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A SET PIECE EXPERT - WHY don't WE TRY SCRUMPY RATHER THAN OUR PRESENT SET PIECE HOLDER and no i am not getting in to that argument here). But sadly it looked like he had also accompanied Hartley on his visit to Clarks and just WHAT he was doing with his "Kamikaze" pass for their fourth goal is again anybodys guess as he certainly didnt know. Out of 10 - 5. Taxi already departed (Going via Clark's on its way to Lulsgate for our Finnish/Russian friend).

Whoever was in goal in the second half - Evidently Pete Johnson made a hurried call at 6 o'clock last night and the chap who has recently been released by Swindon (Now there might just be a small clue there me thinks!!!!) made a mad dash with his boots down the M4. When we have three keepers when they are all fit are we wasting our time (And sadly probably building Mr.Swindon rejects hopes up) on trialling another keeper. Anyway seeing as the chap had probably never ever met any of his fellow defenders and was probably using the same search form to try and find future employment as Pete Johnson appears to find us hidden European gems of the future mid afternoon then thanks for turning up and we hope that having two goals put past you by Ajax looks good on the CV. Out of 10 - 4 All for making the effort to get to the Gate last night and at least not having the awful problems with our ticket office.

Clarkson - Hopefully a bad night at the office, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and as I was sat in the front of the Dolman and he was stuck out on the left ploughing a lone furrow down the left wing of the Williams, i must admit he did not really appear on the radar??? Hopefully he will continue like this with Championship defences and evade their radars as well. Sorry but as I almost forgot he was out there Out of 10 - 4.

AT THE END OF THE DAY WE WERE PLAYING OUR THIRD/FOURTH GAME OF THE SEASON AND AJAX WHO IT APPEARS MARTIN JOL IS ALREADY MOULDING IN TO A GOOD TEAM ARE WELL DOWN THEIR PRE SEASON PREPERATIONS AND IT SHOWED. THEY PINGED THE BALL ABOUT NICELY, ALWAYS HAD PLAYERS IN SPACE AND ALL OF THEM HAD A GOOD FIRST TOUCH. WE LOOKED QUITE RIGHTLY A TAD RUSTY. LETS NOT GET TO DOWNHEARTED - One swallow does not make and all that........... Plus it was ONLY A FRIENDLY.

Oh sorry one more person / group to be marked:-

THE TICKET OFFICE - A BIG FAT ZERO. Steve should be having a massive inquest this morning and to all those responsible for last nights utter fiasco and i speak for all those unfortunate fans who missed the first 15 minutes (And incidentally I was not one of them as I had a premonition that something like this might happen based on previous experiences, so I was in the ground at 06:45) they should be sharing the Greeks and Finn's taxi to You tube land or wherever the Peter side of the Johnson family is working non stop to unearth our next European gem.

As Sir Alan would say or (SIR) Steve should say - YOU ARE FIRED.

Archived