IGNORED

Cheltenham V City

eric04

I thought the booing of Barry Hayles was pretty out of order and the chanting "GYPO" at Andy Gallinagh was cruel, I would only expect that behaviour from Gasheads and not from City.

Don't forget to send us Frankie next season.... :dancing2::pacifier:

you obviously forgot about the stick we gave to the lad who's knackers hadnt dropped yet,just before half time :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thought the booing of Barry Hayles was pretty out of order and the chanting "GYPO" at Andy Gallinagh was cruel, I would only expect that behaviour from Gasheads and not from City.

Don't forget to send us Frankie next season.... :dancing2::pacifier:

It's called banter. Hayles had a huge grin on his face when warming up, he took it in the spirit was intended.

Ajax were "weeks ahead of us in pre-season" now Cheltenham? our squad of Premier League hopefulls were unable to beat the div 2 outfit because????????

Its only a friendly maybe :disapointed2se:

Go back and have a look at the pre-season results in the season we got to the play offs. (The season we rebuilt most of the team)

Some people... :disapointed2se:

Ajax were "weeks ahead of us in pre-season" now Cheltenham? our squad of Premier League hopefulls were unable to beat the div 2 outfit because????????

I went to Cheltenham today. Rather than throwing my toys out because we didn't beat a League 2 side a few weeks before we actually need to peak I made the following observations on the game:-

First half we kept possession for long periods but created bugger all from open play. From set-pieces we were very dangerous and both Fontaine and Elliot should have buried free headers that came their way. Maynard also missed a pretty simple chance. Sproule was our only real danger from open play but what is the point in leaving your full back for dead if you can't cross a football? Wilson did "OK" at Centre Half but got turned too easily on two occasions and relied on Bresovan to get him out of jail - still lacking a little bit of know how perhaps and maybe a spell in League 1 is the answer. McCombe also looked shaky in the centre of the back four. Orr had a decent half and Fontaine was his usual reliable self. Artus did alright without stamping any authority on the game. Akinde was quiet. Skuse and Elliott together is not a long term partnership that will see us move forward.

Second half with Hartley in the middle was far better attacking wise although the centre of our back four (Carey and Nyatanga) was shambolic at times and Cheltenham should have scored on at least three occasions. The defending from the long throws was Sunday pub standard and I'm probably being harsh on the Dog and Duck to be fair!! Hartley is a quality player with a great range of passing and far more composure on the ball than anyone on our books at present who is going to do a good job for us this season providing he stays fit. Haynes looked lively, I was impressed with Clarkson albeit he missed a header which I class as an open goal (keeper stood rooted to his line). He took his goal well though, found space where Hartley was able to pick him out and showed some good movement. Brian Wilson did alright at full back but defensively he isn't fit to lace Orr's boots up. McAllister had a far better game than the other night. McIndoe was also a stand out player for me and will work well with Hartley and Clarkson (proper footballers tend to be on similar wavelengths). Williams was shoved out on the right but showed a few decent touches. Johnson was unspectacular but played alright.

Our "teams" were a definite mish mash of players and if you were picking a "first team" for next week you would have picked a few from each side on today's evidence. Cheltenham on the other hand played a strong side for them and made far less substitutions. The two lads up front were a handful and the number 7 looked a decent player to me. They should do alright in League 2 this season and have a manager who is good at getting teams playing in the lower leagues. The free kick was a blinder and begs the question how League 2 players can show that quality yet at Bristol City we don't come close to replicating it from similar positions.

Best bit of today - Paul Hartley

Worst bit - Defending from our centre halves (which can be worked on)

I thought the booing of Hayles ( and Allsop for that matter) was absolutely in order, fully deserved, and exactly what any ex gashead would expect from City fans.

It was even good natured, as it was a friendly, with grins from the City fans and Hayles himself.

I'm sure he'd have been disappointed if we'd ignored him.

I thought at the time that if that had been an ex-City player warming up, with gas fans in our end, then he would have got a much nastier reception.

Arsenal's squad of proven Premier League performers (including Arshavin) drew with Barnet today.

West Ham drew with Cambridge United.

Derby LOST to Chesterfield today.

Cardiff GOT DONE by Tamworth (Conference North?).

Because?????????

If Toteender or whatever she calls herself and BRFC1883 were on here they would need tissues to wipe up the mess after realising that Bristol Rovers are far superior than Arsenal, West Ham, Derby, Cardiff and, the biggest scalp of all, Bristol City based on todays results.

Great player, very impressed, is that the player you got from Celtic?

Certainly is. A few people questioned why we were signing a 32 year old but you can tell the boy has played Champions League and is a current International. Different class to everything else out there today.

does anyone else think Hartley could be the new Tinnion?

the way the he sprayed the ball around (and found it's target!) was really impressive and looks to have a decent shot on him to boot!

Not really. The main difference between the two being that Hartley has played at a level that Tinnion could only dream about.

Archived