IGNORED

Official Open Day Comments Post

internetjef

Hi guys

I couldnt make it to the open day today as I'm stuck in revising for an exam on wednesday (with one eye on cricket :laugh:)

Please can anyone who attended the open day post a summary of the interview GJ gave over tannoy, any interesting bits they got from the players, any rumours going about or any other info that might be of interest to those who couldnt attend etc.

Would be much appreciated

cheers

It was an absolute shambles, I'm really not one to complain about City but seriously, it was terrible. The players were scattered around the Williams stand and it was essentially a free-for-all to meet them, with nothing so much as an orderly queue to be seen throughout. No tour of the stadium, no long Q&A with GJ... Awful.

It was an absolute shambles, I'm really not one to complain about City but seriously, it was terrible. The players were scattered around the Williams stand and it was essentially a free-for-all to meet them, with nothing so much as an orderly queue to be seen throughout. No tour of the stadium, no long Q&A with GJ... Awful.

It clearly states there would be no stadium tour Ronald and as for the q&a it's hardly going to be a give away of really important information is it? The free for all isn't an ideal situation but then neither would be waiting in a queue for ages to see the lads whilst people chat away and have pictures with them. To be fair the free for all give's everyone a chance to keep moving and keep the waiting down.

City are good to put this on for us -especially for free- and i guess there's always going to be problems

Poor show not to do a ground tour allow people to see behind the scenes. I think its about time the club looks at doing ground tours for a small charge similar to other clubs. Maybe £5 an adult £2 a child. Seems to be the going rate at other clubs.

As for the free for all. City have been a victim of there own success with open days. The club have tweeked it year after year to try and find the best way to cope with numbers and allow all the fans a chance to meet the players. By the sounds of it this year hasn't worked and I'm sure Dave L will be the first to accept that it hasnt worked very well and will look to improve it for next season. I never for one minute think the club would have throught it would have been as succesful as it has turned out to be. Maybe 2 or 3000 would have been a comfortable figure to cope with but there has been double that figure at previous open days.

aside from organisational issues, was there even any interview with GJ at all?

any glaring absences from players, or surprise faces spotted?

Any murmurs of basso's alleged transfger request going round as reported today by the People? Or any potential striker targets being banded about?

It clearly states there would be no stadium tour Ronald and as for the q&a it's hardly going to be a give away of really important information is it? The free for all isn't an ideal situation but then neither would be waiting in a queue for ages to see the lads whilst people chat away and have pictures with them. To be fair the free for all give's everyone a chance to keep moving and keep the waiting down.

City are good to put this on for us -especially for free- and i guess there's always going to be problems

It would be have been a much more feasible to conduct a stadium tour, get people moving in a queue with a chance to go inside the dressing room etc. like you would expect. The Williams stand was not ever designed for an open day... I imagine you weren't there as you don't realise how bad it was, the players were scattered around in clumps with people pushing in on gangways etc. and no room for people to move.

It was'nt the best of organised events held by city again.Although some complaints on here were clearly advertised not to be taking place(grond tour etc).In fairness the rain possibly didnt help,as by my understanding,the players were supposed to be mingling in the car park with the fans.But IMO they should of had a contingancey plan in hand in case it did rain(as it is british summer time!).Once in the Williams stand,surely a one way system would of been easy to organise and much better with regards to fans getting too each player and keeping the que moving better.I don't agree with the free for all attitudes of some,as there were people who had qued for hours and didnt get too some players,obviously not helped because of people pushing in(or free for all,if you want).I would like too add how good it was for Marvin,Maynard and the new signing Danny Haynes to walk along the que and have photo's with fans after( to my understanding),the stewards had stopped the que at one point,much to the dissapointment of some who had qued for some considerable time.I think its great for city to hold these events,too give the fans a chance to meet there idols. As for the whole day itself, everyone makes mistakes,its those who learn by them that continue to progress,hopefuly City are the educational type! :fingerscrossed:

Chill! My kids loved it; they got all the autographs/photos they wanted etc. Afterall, it IS for the kids isn't it? Nothing worse than seeing a grown man gagging for an autograph.... :whistle:

Some harsh comments, I think it is great of City to do it (especially considering it is free and open to all) and everyone made the best of it today, considering the weather. ALL the players (and management team of course) were fantastic, many taking time to help me encourage my little boy to have his picture taken after he had gone shy. We have come home with treasured autographs and pictures and will remember the day for a long time.

Someone once said something about being better off not meeting your heroes because you might be disappointed... No danger of that today, I am very proud of our club tonight and many thanks to all involved :clapping:

Some harsh comments, I think it is great of City to do it (especially considering it is free and open to all) and everyone made the best of it today, considering the weather. ALL the players (and management team of course) were fantastic, many taking time to help me encourage my little boy to have his picture taken after he had gone shy. We have come home with treasured autographs and pictures and will remember the day for a long time.

Someone once said something about being better off not meeting your heroes because you might be disappointed... No danger of that today, I am very proud of our club tonight and many thanks to all involved :clapping:

:englandsmile4wf:

ditto my thoughts....they don't have to do it and did it with a smilie on there face..made my sons day and mine, although got home to find the camera had wiped all our photos from the day :badmood::angry::grr: :grr: :disapointed2se: gutted

for the kids isn't it? Nothing worse than seeing a grown man gagging for an autograph.... :whistle:

I don't think so.. obviously for a child they are 'heroes' and for an adult it's different, but they remain the players of our team,which hold high our flag.... :city::chant6ez: so an autograph/photo is always a nice thing,especially for people which live outside Bristol :dunno: (I understand that if you meet a player every week in a bar is not so exciting ;) )

However..nice photos :)

Whilst I was disappointed with the que's and the que jumpers, to see the smile on my 6 year-old daughters face after she got the autographs that she did manage to get made it all worth while, although she did get bored with standing still for over half-an-hour and still being at the top of the Williams while waiting in the que to see Haynes, Marv, Maynard and Basso that we ended up leaving.

As already mentioned on an earlier reply, you would have thought that the club would have had a better plan put in place for the likely event that it was going to rain.

Still, as I said, to see the smile on her face made it all worth while.

Hi

Got to say that this year the open day wasnt so good. I did arrive later (due to the weather ) than in previous years but I always enjoy the stadium tour and meeting the players. Obviously the weather did spoil it but it didnt seem quite aswell organised.

Yes it is for the kids but I would like to have got a photo with Trunds! :wub:

I thought it looked a shambles personally.Okay it rained. we are English. we know about rain. needed some organisation. took youngest son, wife, sister and nephew for first time.

Funfair? bouncy castle @£2 per 10mins :angry: some dodgems, couple of stalls and a chip van , inside 30/45 minute queue's that no one understood randomly snaking around the Williams :angry: . Waste of time. Have enjoyed previous open days. This one felt completely conference for a team looking to the prem.

Harsh maybe but me and mine were not impressed.

Many more complaints like this and i can see City shutting down this FREE event.

Perhaps you would prefer a £50 entry fee and perfect organisation right? :disapointed2se:

Many more complaints like this and i can see City shutting down this FREE event.

Perhaps you would prefer a £50 entry fee and perfect organisation right? :disapointed2se:

If they're going to organise a free event, they could at least do it properly... There was nothing wrong with last year/the year before/etc., nothing. And it was a shambles.

Anyone who was there to witness the shambles of the stadium tour a few years ago might actually understand why the club haven't done it since.

Suprised there wasn't a Q&A with SL/GJ in the Dolman Hall though.

Chill! My kids loved it; they got all the autographs/photos they wanted etc. Afterall, it IS for the kids isn't it? Nothing worse than seeing a grown man gagging for an autograph.... :whistle:

Totally agree. Great day out for free, and kids very happy. Only reason players housed around the Williams was on account of the lashing rain - who wants to stand in that?

Yes queues were long - price you pay for popularity. No it was not Premier League organisation, but how many 6 year old chelsea/man u/liverpool fans have the chance to get an autograph, a chat, and a photo with their favorite player????

Thanks BCFC.

By the way, great to chat to KM.

Very bullish about this season, mentioned they are still looking hard for a target man (never easy to get), and admitted it is a challenge to get to grips with all the new names.

Will rotate the team around in pre season so as not to give Preston any clues, and we were watching Preston for the same reasons.

Interestingly, he admitted he does dip into this forum - its hard not to, although the they don't always enjoy what they read.

Archived