IGNORED

Middle Of The Park....

CityCiderEd

In my opinion Hartley hasn't come here to warm the bench and neither should he do in my opinion I think he will be a great signing. Along with Skuse having a good pre-season, Marv fully fit, And when Williams comes back to full fitness, can anyone else honestly say they would have Johnson in the middle of the park. I'm not given the bloke a hard time just can't see what else he could possibly bring extra to the team, sorry if this has been mentioned, but I have been thinking it for a couple a weeks and thought I'd post it. Thoughts would be appreciated, Cheers

:city:

In my opinion Hartley hasn't come here to warm the bench and neither should he do in my opinion I think he will be a great signing. Along with Skuse having a good pre-season, Marv fully fit, And when Williams comes back to full fitness, can anyone else honestly say they would have Johnson in the middle of the park. I'm not given the bloke a hard time just can't see what else he could possibly bring extra to the team, sorry if this has been mentioned, but I have been thinking it for a couple a weeks and thought I'd post it. Thoughts would be appreciated, Cheers

At the moment there is no need for Johnson in the side. Hartley and Skuse or Hartley and Elliot would be the ideal midfield pairing. If injuries should arise though Johnson will provide good enough cover.

I think Lee Johnson should be on the bench most games ... of course it comes down to performance. If Johnson plays better than Hartley/Elliot/Shuse/Williams over the first few games, then he deserves to start. He does bring something slightly different to the team, but so do the others.

GJ will make the right decisions though I am sure - In GJ we trust!!!

At the moment there is no need for Johnson in the side. Hartley and Skuse or Hartley and Elliot would be the ideal midfield pairing. If injuries should arise though Johnson will provide good enough cover.

Agree completely. Do you think he will start though come the new season ?

I also think he will be good competition for Hartley, alongside Marv/Skuse.

Playing 3 accross the middle is the only time I can see him starting.

I'm actually more worried for williams who i think could quickly become the next Noble?? Quite often injured and probably wants to be playing in the luxury 'hole' spot. Doesnt do a great deal of grafting when out of possession either. Generally resigned to being played out of position on right wing, surely he is now 5th choice in the centre before afformentioned 4.

I really rate williams technically and creatively but could he be the next player who just doesnt fit into a johnson side?

Hartley looks a class player already, Going by teh Cheltenham game he knows how to pin point a cross just like Tins used to. I Think Haynes and Hartley could be the new Tinnion and Murray.

Although he's not a bad player, the others are all better in my opinion! Williams is pure class and if he gets chucked out on the right again it will be shocking! Hartley looks like he does everything Lee Johnson does but better! Skuse and Elliot are different types of players so thats a different debate! Problem is if LJ isn't starting he will be on the bench but I cant understand what impact he would have! So he either starts or is left out all together!(cant imagine that happening)

My ideal middle 3 would be Elliot Hartley and Williams With Williams dropping to the bench if playing with wingers! But I cant see this happening either! So I predict it will be LJ Hartley and Elliot to start at Preston!

Although he's not a bad player, the others are all better in my opinion! Williams is pure class and if he gets chucked out on the right again it will be shocking! Hartley looks like he does everything Lee Johnson does but better! Skuse and Elliot are different types of players so thats a different debate! Problem is if LJ isn't starting he will be on the bench but I cant understand what impact he would have! So he either starts or is left out all together!(cant imagine that happening)

My ideal middle 3 would be Elliot Hartley and Williams With Williams dropping to the bench if playing with wingers! But I cant see this happening either! So I predict it will be LJ Hartley and Elliot to start at Preston!

I mentioned that on an earlier topic a fews day back. that would be my three, although as was put earlier, McIndoe could well hug the touchline with those two in the middle of the park, and could have a good season.

Johson has one hell of a decision at the moment!!!

His Dad.

Gav played so well at the end of last season and Skuse has come on so well in the last 12 months I would be very dissappointed if an underachiving Johnson was picked ahead of either. Hartley is a proven top flight player and must be given a run so you get the feeling someone is going to be let down as everyone seems to think Marv is a must start but to be honest he is a shadow of the player from two seasons ago. I reckon Skuse and Williams will be the bench warmers in a 4-3-3 no matter how well they play.

No doubt GJ will tinker (is tinkering) with his formation/midfield personnel. Who's to say that one of the new acquisitions won't be a catalyst for LJ to produce the goods? Let's wait and see...

P.S. besides, I'm sure Elliott won't be with us come the end of the season (new contract or not) and Williams will struggle with injury leaving us with Skuse, Hartley and Johnson (IMO blahdy, blahdy blah).

Yes. I imagine he'll be slotted in somehow.

totally agree i feel this is gary johnsons blind spot he seems to always accommodate lee johnson even if it means playing players out of position,i feel until this is rectified we will not get promoted,it is not that i think lee johnson is no good i feel he is a decent enough squad player but should not be a first choice player, even more so this coming season with the quality, depth and strength of competition we have for the midfield places.but i will be astounded if he is not in the starting line up for the first game.

Personally i think that Marv has been out of sorts in all the pre-seasons so far, think he may be a suprise non starter unless he steps up to the plate, i also think LJ has played well in the pre-seasons so far and especially with Hartley at Cheltenham.

If GJ does start with a centre midfield pairing of

Hartley and Elliott both who can get around the park and tackle

It will be interesting how wide McIndoe plays

With those two in the centre MM should have no real

need to push in and help out

This could be seen at Cheltenham where McIndoe played more as a proper wideman rather than a left sided central midfield player. McIndoe will also realise that with Hartley in the side he is likely to receive a decent ball if he stays out wide and finds himself some space. The inclusion of Hartley should make a big difference to our side this season.

Personally i think that Marv has been out of sorts in all the pre-seasons so far, think he may be a suprise non starter unless he steps up to the plate, i also think LJ has played well in the pre-seasons so far and especially with Hartley at Cheltenham.

Don't worry about Elliott - it is a fact that he takes three or four games to "warm up" after injury. Luckily for us he is warming up in pre-season rather than halfway through the season. We need him firing on all cylinders because trying to play in the Championship on a regular basis without a proper ball winner in our midfield will be tantamount to suicide.

Elliotts absence last season coincided with Skuse stepping up to the plate and the team playing well and collecting points. In fact, it could be said that Skuse did better than Elliott last season.

If Elliott has a below par pre-season then he should rightly be left out of the starting line up. He's not played well for some time now, hopefully he'll put that right this season but he may well have stiff competition from Skuse who tackles more cleanly and is a better distributor of the ball although he's not as dynamic as Elliott.

Totally agree. Elliott shouldnt be guarenteed a place in the starting XI at Preston on the basis of his performances in 2007/2008. Skuse, at times last season, was quality and it shouldnt be presumed he'll miss out.

Elliott needs to be fit and firing. Remember, his distribution isnt the greatest and this is shown up even more when he's lacking match practice.

Personally I would always have LJ in our midfield. Good to have competition though.

not sure if the ajax game is anything to go by but i noticed when mccindoe was brougt on against them he was hugging the touchline !

:fingerscrossed:

But then at times he was the most forward even more than Akinde so I wouldn't take too much into account in friendlies until the Wolves game.

Archived