IGNORED

Basso's Successor

Ronnie Sinclair

Evening all,

Now that Basso has almost certainly played his last City game and will be gone shortly, who would you like to see come in to replace him? We have Gerken and Henderson but as GJ wants a third custodian do you reckon we need another young upcoming 'keeper or a more experienced one (i.e. late 20's/early 30's). Does GJ take a punt on Lesjal who has no English league experience or a more established name?

Scanning through the list of 'keepers who hardly play for their teams in the Premier League there are names such as Carlo Nash, Maik Taylor, Kasper Schmeichel, Jamie Ashdown and Darren Ward twiddling their thumbs every week, if their wages were affordable do we go for one of those or do we try and nick another one from the Championship?

"Gerken has both age and experience on his side. Naylor is working him very hard and I imagine he is trying to push Gerken as hard as possible.

Henderson probably has the ability but is injured of course"

Gerken must think BS3 is the promised land (we already know it is, of course). He signed thinking he'd have to push Basso for No 1 spot. Now it looks as if he's got that position more or less on a plate.

I'm sure Dean will do a job for us. He has a good track record at this level and is ambitious, with the added advantage of years on his side.

With Hendo as back-up and serious competition for no 1 when fit (won't be long), I think we can relax a bit. Regardless of the circumstances, I'm still gutted we let Weale go, injury prone and all.....'Carpe Diem', and he isn't bleedin here!

I know that GJ likes to have three keepers but I wouldn't be that bothered to see Gerken and Henderson in a straight fight for the jersey with the option of getting a Premier League keeper in should injuries or loss/lack of form bite. Stuart Naylor is a bloody good goalkeeping coach who gets little credit in my view and I reckon that both Gerken and Henderson will come along nicely under him.

Henderson will be No. 1 he's a top top keeper

obviously we havent seen loads of him but from what we have seen i wouldnt argue with that statement. the boy looks quality and has done from the moment he came on v QPR in the first game of the 07/08 season.

Archived