IGNORED

Retired Keeper Or Basso?

charisma_cider

Always Believe!

TBH, I'm getting p**sed off with some of the stuff on here. He has been a great keeper for us, a character, and in many ways, a talisman. We don't know what has really happened, but he is contracted to City for another year, is the best keeper at the Club, and therefore should be playing. Who knows, after a few games he might even sign that contract, or if he goes, we should get a better fee. I really don't understand this obsession with freezing out players who don't sign a year before expiry of contract. A three year contract lasts for three years, not two years. And if a player wants to wait until the end of contract, that is their right, it's what freedom of contract is about.

It would not surprise me if we get no offers in the near future, and then a week or two into the season, he goes out on loan. If he is not staying at City, good luck to him. He has earned us a lot of points, been a great entertainer, and believed! Good luck to him for the future, football needs characters like him.

Always Believe!

TBH, I'm getting p**sed off with some of the stuff on here. He has been a great keeper for us, a character, and in many ways, a talisman. We don't know what has really happened, but he is contracted to City for another year, is the best keeper at the Club, and therefore should be playing. Who knows, after a few games he might even sign that contract, or if he goes, we should get a better fee. I really don't understand this obsession with freezing out players who don't sign a year before expiry of contract. A three year contract lasts for three years, not two years. And if a player wants to wait until the end of contract, that is their right, it's what freedom of contract is about.

It would not surprise me if we get no offers in the near future, and then a week or two into the season, he goes out on loan. If he is not staying at City, good luck to him. He has earned us a lot of points, been a great entertainer, and believed! Good luck to him for the future, football needs characters like him.

To Clarify, The Original Post wasn't intended as a direct knock on Basso as a person, was just highlighting that the number of possible Premier League destinations are starting to dwindle, as those most likely are exploring other options, albeit bizarre ones such as atempting to sign a retired keeper.

In regards to the freezing out, he handed in a transfer request, which I think in most scenarios at most other clubs would result in the player not being part of future games.

Bring in Antti Niemi for nothing, a player who will happily sit on the bench and pick up his wages while allowing David James to do his thing. Niemi can have the occasional cup game. It's win/win. Is Niemi still based in Hampshire?

If anything bringing in Niemi is a kick in the ol' teeth for Jamie Ashdown and Asmir Begović - young and upcoming 'keepers who'll have to look elsewhere for games or a bench to sit on.

..... and to make this post BCFC relevant ....

Cyril Bridge, Albert Keating and Jazzo Kirk.

Always Believe!

I really don't understand this obsession with freezing out players who don't sign a year before expiry of contract. A three year contract lasts for three years, not two years. And if a player wants to wait until the end of contract, that is their right, it's what freedom of contract is about.

Actually he asked for a transfer in fact it was a written request, Big difference to waiting until your contract runs out and it also appears not only has he ignored his agents advice on this one but he also requested assurances about being no.1, Nobody at any club should be allowed that privilege.

He wants to go, GJ won't play him (quite rightly) let's move on and find another goalkeeper.

And the point is? He is a City player, under contract, and one of the best keepers in the Championship. He is the best keeper at the Club, so we should play him, and hopefully, he will sign the contract, if not, he is in the shop window, so we get a better price. Sorry, all the boll***s about players having to sign a year early annoys me - They sign for x years, that is the point of a contract! Not for x years minus1.

And the point is? He is a City player, under contract, and one of the best keepers in the Championship. He is the best keeper at the Club, so we should play him, and hopefully, he will sign the contract, if not, he is in the shop window, so we get a better price. Sorry, all the boll***s about players having to sign a year early annoys me - They sign for x years, that is the point of a contract! Not for x years minus1.

It would be nice to think your way but we don't know what Basso has said or where his head is at the moment. He did play 45 against Hereford and let in a pretty abysmal goal if we are honest - perhaps the lad just hasn't got it in him to play for us any more. Hypothetically, if someone at your place of work said "Chappers, your organisation is not big enough for me and I don't want to work for your Billy Smart outfit any more you clown" would you give them another chance on the basis that they have been good at their job over the last three years?

For me, it is nothing to do with the length of his contract.

He has put in a written transfer request, so he obviously does not want to play for BCFC, simple as. We should not keep an unhappy (for whatever reason) player . We should not play him while he is still here, in my view, as will he give us that extra 10% when things are not going our way? Maybe he would, but a risk I would not want to take when we have gerkin, henderson and a new keeper (TBC) in the squad who do want to play for the club.

As I have said on other threads, the sooner he has gone the better for all of us. I would feel the same if he had 1 year or 4 years left on his contract.

Other Clubs seem to have no problems with playing transfer listed players. Just look at Kuqi at Palace, on the list for about a year, but he still did a good job for them. I don't know what goes on, but we had similar with Orr last season, and we really missed him. To me, the art of being a top manager is to fully utilise, and get the best out of, all of your players. As long as the players merit a first team place, and are giving 100%, they should be in the team.

I know that I'm very much in the minority, as I was with Orr. If Gerkin/ Henderson/ Mr Ironinthefire do well, Basso will not be missed. A few modest performances, missing those Basso moments, and a lot more people will be agreeing with this opinion.

do we need to sign a third keeper ?? ..... Henderson is only 3/4 weeks away from being able to sit on the bench ........ the accademy lad could come on second half againsy wycombe to see how he shapes up .......

the only keeper injuries we've had recently have been early in the games with Basso, and some of those have looke dubious ........ ok grab a keeper on a months loan if need be, if GJ thinks the accademy lad is not good enough yet.

i still think Henderson is the future for us as a keeper, dropping him to no.3 by signing another keeper, could see him gone at the end of this season . and thats something we can't afford to let happen.

As for Basso, not even on the bench for me, if you put in writing you don't want to play for the club, that it .

thank you and goodbye.

:tumbleweed:

Other Clubs seem to have no problems with playing transfer listed players. Just look at Kuqi at Palace, on the list for about a year, but he still did a good job for them. I don't know what goes on, but we had similar with Orr last season, and we really missed him. To me, the art of being a top manager is to fully utilise, and get the best out of, all of your players. As long as the players merit a first team place, and are giving 100%, they should be in the team.

I know that I'm very much in the minority, as I was with Orr. If Gerkin/ Henderson/ Mr Ironinthefire do well, Basso will not be missed. A few modest performances, missing those Basso moments, and a lot more people will be agreeing with this opinion.

I am one who agrees with you Chappers.

I would not waste his talent, he would start in goal, with the words " You think you are good enough for being a top keeper, now PROVE it and put your self in the window"!

Yeah, his transfer request was badly timed, but why waste your best, even though he MIGHT be leaving.

He's hardly going into a game thinking i wont bother today, he needs to show other clubs he's worth a contract, all those hardship years he had, he would not want to go back to them!

I wonder what his team mates think, or has he been pushed out?

Does he still train with the players?

With reference to the original post, Pompey are strapped for cash big time, and so by signing Niemi on a short-term deal they will be getting proven Premier League experience/ quality without a fee. Why pay £300-£400K for a reasonable keeper who at 34 has never played top flight or International football? Win, win all round imo.

Other Clubs seem to have no problems with playing transfer listed players. Just look at Kuqi at Palace, on the list for about a year, but he still did a good job for them.

Colin originally listed and dropped Kuqi for abusing the fans. He soon forgot that when he realised he needed him. Last January he said he wanted to sell him because they could not afford the £14k a week they were paying him. Kuqi did not ask for more. So a slightly different situation to Basso.

Archived