IGNORED

Revealing Gj Interview...

Loderingo

A good article. Thanks for posting it.

I always like reading interviews with Gary Johnson because he really does just talk sense. You don't have to always agree with what he says or follow him unquestioningly but it is always possible to see where he's coming from and why he's doing what he's doing.

One of the most interesting bits was about several players believing they can do better elsewhere, especially those nearing or past 30. Looking at players who have left or leaving I wonder who that's aimed at. Certainly Adebola, Basso and McIndoe all seem to qualify.

This is the most telling quote:

Also, we had a few players out of contract as well and after doing so well the year before, I think a couple of them maybe got ideas above their station. Sometimes when you've got one or two it's not so bad, but we seemed to have about six or seven who didn't quite know where their future lay. So maybe that was something to learn from: the higher standards you set, the more players feel like maybe they can do better elsewhere - especially if they're approaching or turning 30 looking for that one last, big deal that you can't give them but other clubs can.

Adebola, McIndoe and Basso I was guess he's referring to?

Plus three or four more!!

Bradley Orr is definitely one of them.

The comment tells a story though: the togetherness of the team that battled for every point for the full 90 minutes of every game in the previous Playoff final season was compromised by several individuals who let their ego control their ambition.

Of course all players want to better themselves and build a comfortable life for their family etc, but to lose sight of your job at hand in such circumstances is against the ethic of teamwork.

Regardless of whether you deem players of this mindset to be greedy mercenaries or sensible career men, Johnson feels that enough of his first team squad were distracted by their ambition upgrade to be counter-productive to our success.

Hence our squad was stronger but our performances were far less determined, less together and less effective.

Ultimately though, the likes of Orr, Basso and McIndoe appear to be learning the hard way that their aspirations haven't actually been realistic and that by marginalising themselves from the group they then have to work their way back in. Not a nice predicament.

Archived