IGNORED

Gj's First Block Of 10

Rednready

Our first season in the Championship started rather well.

2007/8, first block of 10 scored 17 points.

2008/9 first block of 10 scored 13 points.

Imo our squad has an improvement in youth, speed and quality. The first block of 10 matches is actually one of the easier blocks. Last season we faced the promoted B'rum and Wolves in the first 10, however this season gives us a better chance of a good start. The 17 we achieved in our first Championship season, may well be a good target again.

What do you think ?

I think we've got a tough start to the season - our first block of 10 features very tough away games at Preston, Cardiff and Swansea, with equally tough fixures at home to Palace and Boro. And with a trip to St James Park (the northern one!) waiting in the wings in the 11th game, it is easy to see why this season could begin as a bit of a banana skin.

I think if we make 18 points in the first 10 games, we've done extremely well and are batting above our average. 15 points would be average and anything less then 13 would be time to worry.

On the other hand, the last 10 in the run-in doesn't look too daunting. :noexpression:

Impossible to tell at the minute I suppose I reckon going into the start of last season an away trip to Charlton would have seemed like a very tough game but as it turned out they were useless. Add in the unknown of how our young squad will blend together and I honestly think we could potentially be looking at finishing in almost any position this season.

I'd like to think with the front three that we have in Clarkson, Maynard and Haynes that we'll be playing quick, attractive passing football. I do worry though that if we lose one or two or our more experienced, hard tackling players (Carey, Elliott, Hartley) that we will begin to look very lightweight.

If we want a play off place at minimum I would think 80 points would guarantee this going by last season

So ................................

80 points / 46 games = 1.729 points per game

1.729 x 10 games = 17.29 points

So ill be wanting min of 16 points from the first 10 games, but hay ill keep believing no matter what :fingerscrossed::city:

Although I like the GJ targets it is worth remembering that it is an average over the whole season as well, so if we don't make 17 from the first 10 there is no need to panic, there is plenty of leeway in that target to get enough points in subsequent games.

Let us be specific.

Preston A

C Palace H

QPR H

Cardiff A

Mid'bro H

Coventry A

Swansea A

S****horpe H

Derby A

Blackpool H.

To achieve a goal of 17 points we will need to improve our last seasons home record. GJ agreed with me on that and mentioned the fact that we had lost too many points due to home draws.

Considering the Championship teams we face, the first 10 games give us a fair chance of the 17 points needed. Its down to GJ, his formations, tactics and selections. I think we have the players.

Preston A Draw -1 point

C Palace H Win 3- points

QPR H Win- 3 points

Cardiff A Lose

Mid'bro H Lose

Coventry A Draw - 1 point

Swansea A Win - 3 points

S****horpe H Win - 3 points

Derby A Lose

Blackpool H. Win - 3 points

To achieve a goal of 17 points we will need to improve our last seasons home record. GJ agreed with me on that and mentioned the fact that we had lost too many points due to home draws.

Considering the Championship teams we face, the first 10 games give us a fair chance of the 17 points needed. Its down to GJ, his formations, tactics and selections. I think we have the players.

5 wins, 3 defeats and 2 draws giving 17 points then.

Looking at those fixtures, I reckon our home form must surely improve and therefore we'll just about reach the target. Wouldn't be surprised if draws in general are more scarce and there will be more exciting games and decisive results, one way or the other.

Archived