IGNORED

Weather Forecasters

Olé

This is getting stupid now.

The whole 'they said it was a barbecue summer' has been done to death and we've had all their 'long range forecasts are notoriously hard to predict' explanations, but I'm pretty sure they've spent all week - even this morning on the BBC - insisting (with a triumphalism associated with getting it right) that the West Country was going to get a long overdue spell of sun through Thursday, Friday and the weekend.

I don't really care what they pluck out of the air about the whole summer in advance, but if you ask me the last few weeks they've been way off with forecasting even the next day, and today has been a shambles. From where I'm sitting in Bath at work (still) it's been pissing down heavily just about all day. If this is a sunny day (which the BBC is still claiming now) then someone needs sacking - or a window to look out of.

I know forecasters get it wrong sometimes, but they seem to have lost the plot now and struggle to get anywhere near the right weather. The odd thing is I'm in London at least twice a week and they all think the weather forecasts are reliable over there so I wonder if they make a bit more effort to get it right. They only ever seem to mention the 'South East' and 'Scotland & Northern Ireland' on national forecasts anyway.

In the meantime, courtesy of this very forum I remember someone recommending metcheck.com before the play off final and it certainly seems to be honest and realistic enough to get its predictions of heavy rain right, including today. Likewise uk.accuweather.com. The BBC meanwhile seem to be having a bit of a disaster with their forecasting, which is about as reliable as a Liam Robinson finish.

Your not the only one to have notcied. Even met check is getting it wrong right now.

As for the long range forcasts you can be sure of four reoports;

1) before the summer starts the media say it will be a blazing summer

2) when the summer starts we're told it'll be wet

3) come October we're told it'll be a snowy winter

4) into december and the same outlets tell us there will be no snow

Archived