IGNORED

Gerkin V Basso

dargla

Guest ashtonyate
OK guys, I know Basso is on the move. After we now have seen Gekin play a few times, I was wondering whats peoples thoughts are. Is Gerkin better? Would you rather have Basso start? What is Gerkins +'s & -'s compared to Basso? Etc......

Well you might have seen him play a few time but there is a lot like myself have not,he must be given a chance to see how good he is.

Having said that he has a hard act to follow,he must be given a run of games to see if he is good enough let you know by Christmas.

He has saved us in two games so far.

We have been lucky with both results and hopefully we will do better against pale arse.

No he hasn't. He has made some good saves in the last two games but has done no more than what should be expected of a decent championship keeper. He has definately had his nervy moment like when he jumped over the ball in our 6 yard box at Preston leaving Parkin with an open goal and then the two mix up's with Carey and Orr. There was another mix up with Fonts on Tues night too. Don't get me wrong...he does seem like a very decent keeper but it is wrong to say he has saved us or has been our best player of the season so far. Hopefully the communication will improve as he get's to know the lads better.

For me, i'd have Basso in goal any day as he is proven with us and Gerkin is unproven with us and still essentially on trial.

Basso - Top quality keeper, but there are issues to resolve off the pitch.

Gerkin - Only seen once, looks a good shot-stopper, handling questionable, rooted to the line, did not even command the goal area, and if he keeps holding the ball for so long, will be penalised by a stricter ref.

Henderson - Inexperienced, but looks good. Commanding in the penalty area, good shot-stopper, but still learning, so will make mistakes.

I hope I am proved wrong with Gerkin, and he improves as he settles. If not, I think Henderson could get a run in the team. Best option - Resolve differences with Basso, although I'm sure many of you will disagree!

He has saved us in two games so far.

We have been lucky with both results and hopefully we will do better against pale arse.

Certainly Tuesday he did and Saturday he did a couple of decent saves near the end too.

We seem to be giving the opposition far too may shots on goal and it is no wonder that Basso had to save the most amount of shots last season.

As I've said a few times before, the defence is a real problem.

Having only seen the highlights admitedly on City Player he seems solid enough although some of his saves seems to get pushed back out into play rather than caught or tipped round/over.

We havent been punished yet, (and I hope we dont) but that seems a slight weakness. Seems to show good reactions though

OK guys, I know Basso is on the move. After we now have seen Gekin play a few times, I was wondering whats peoples thoughts are. Is Gerkin better? Would you rather have Basso start? What is Gerkins +'s & -'s compared to Basso? Etc......

It seems nobody has come in for Basso. Do we put him on ebay? :winner_third_h4h:

Its a pointless argument Gerkin wants to play for City and Basso doesn't ...

The sooner Basso goes the better, everyone has there own opinion but should we really be supporting a player who clearly has no longer any interest in BCFC

Lets get behind Gerkin from now on, However good or crap people think he is at least he wants to play for the club.

Personally I thought Dean Gherkin did really well today and commanded his area well. One save in the second half in particular kept us in it.

As for Basso I REALLY wanted to welcome him back today, BUT, when he was only the sub keeper WHY did he not join in with the strikers shooting in before the game towards the Atyeo (Poor old Andre Blackman was left retrieving balls in the temporary net and must have felt like a duck in a shooting stall) and then why could he not be bothered to sign the kids autographs books - kept on pointing to his wrist!!! Did he have a plane to catch or something and also at half time appeared to have no part of joining in with the rest of the subs with Walshy?

Sorry Adriano despite the incredible timing of THE transfer request I was still prepared to give you the benefit, but, after todays showing in my eyes.......................................

The king is dead long live the KING Aka Deano

Great one handed save and a free kick near the end from Derry i think it was and he held on well, so many times weve seen Basso spill them to an oppostion player to score.

He had good quick distribution but could perhaps work on his kicking a bit as a few flew straight out into touch

Great one handed save and a free kick near the end from Derry i think it was and he held on well, so many times weve seen Basso spill them to an oppostion player to score.

He had good quick distribution but could perhaps work on his kicking a bit as a few flew straight out into touch

The low one hander was top class

and he did well to hang on to that tricky daisycutter at the end with about 10 players bearing down on him.

All i can remember him doing wrong today is one or two iffy kicks, but they still both made it accross half way line before going out with throw in.

Well done deano, no probs for me on that performance and i heard he had a v good game at brentford aswell (althoiugh admittedly i didnt go)

I think at the mo we need to get support behind him as we could be in a position where we have no other option.

And while Basso is still on the list there is no way he will start so not really worth the whos better discussion.

well done today Deano, keep it up on tuesday

I thought Gerken had a very good game and did all that was asked of him. I like the way he looked to distribute the ball via throw outs as that allowed us to keep possession and build attacks, especially during the first 20 minutes when we built up a good head of steam.

I thought Gerken had a very good game and did all that was asked of him. I like the way he looked to distribute the ball via throw outs as that allowed us to keep possession and build attacks, especially during the first 20 minutes when we built up a good head of steam.

Its difficult living in Canada and not seeing the game. Towards the 80th minute game by game play on Skysports and Sporting life said Gerken "fumbled" the ball. Can anyone remember what that would be in relation to? It seems to me, by only reading the reports, that we have found our number 1 goalie. Have I got the correct impression?

Gerkin was a lot better yesterday, mainly as he actually moved off his line. A couple of good saves, but his tendency to punch the ball back into the danger area is worrying, and on one occasion in the first half, he flapped at a cross and got nowhere near. He is young, new to the team, so a few errors are to be expected. In my view, a reasonable Championship keeper, but definitely not as good as Basso at the moment.

I notics Basso looked quite cheerful yesterday and was allowed to play with the other subs at half-time. No new keeper has arrived. Maybe he and GJ have kissed and made up. :fingerscrossed: Despite my above comments, if that did happen, Gerkin should not be dropped unless he loses form or picks up an injury - But maybe give Basso a game against Carlisle.

Archived