IGNORED

Maynard And Akinde

mozo

They looked the real deal today.

Akinde came on and nearly scored and won a pen in his first few minutes, and Matnard looked a polished front man throughout - great first touch, quick on the mark, and did well to find the bottom corner for his goal.

Hartley and Elliott were good too, but I would also single out Sproule who was impossible to defend at times. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Akinde came on and nearly scored and won a pen in his first few minutes, and Matnard looked a polished front man throughout - great first touch, quick on the mark, and did well to find the bottom corner for his goal.

Hartley and Elliott were good too, but I would also single out Sproule who was impossible to defend at times. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Interesting...

Good to hear Sproule keeping his head up and maybe proving he's worth having in and about the squad, and even better Akinde (at just 20) looks promising.

I'd have loved to see Maynard and Akinde with Clarkson playing behind them, but seems Clarkson may have an injury.

Have to disagree re. sproule. Thought he was generally poor.

Interesting...

Good to hear Sproule keeping his head up and maybe proving he's worth having in and about the squad, and even better Akinde (at just 20) looks promising.

I'd have loved to see Maynard and Akinde with Clarkson playing behind them, but seems Clarkson may have an injury.

Sproule was awful today- glad Haynes is back Tuesday.

Maynard and Akinde linked up well.

Sproule is absolutely howling

his lack of football ability is embarassing

all he has is pace, and a modicum of dribbling ability

Cant wait for Velicka to turn up and haynes to be back so sproule is nowhere near the team again, good to see Akinde look ok, althought he was well out of puff by the end so wouldnt last 90 mins

p.s sorry for being neagtive on sproule, im more of a happy clapper then a criticiser but he is just beyond belief

Wouldn't say Sproule was that bad, he did ok, worked hard won us a few throws and worried their defence somewhat.

Hartley's class tho his set pieces were pretty poor today.

Akinde looked promising, threw himself about a bit won a lot of headers.

Gerkin had a good game made a couple of great saves one from a Lee header and another from a low shot that he did really well to parry away so far.

Ah well, my comment was based on the first post because I listened on the radio, so I'm guessing my optimism about Ivan was misplaced!

At least we have Haynes back now and Andrius Velicka in contention too.

In fact, if Clarkson is fit for Tuesday who on earth will play up top?

Maynard almost for certain, but asides from that we have got a fair few options.

If Akinde was as good as people have said I can believe he might start, to be replaced by the new boy.

Some really promosing signs from Akinde. He slid a couple of absoultely corking balls through for Maynard to latch onto and quite late on he took a ball down with beautiful touch and composure. It's a nice problem for Gary to have, especially with another striker coming in.

A poor display in the first half, but it picked up in the second half and we were on top for the most part.

Elliott was good, he delivered an all action display, but made a few mistakes as the game went on.

Bradley Orr and McCombe were poor today. Their distribution was nothing short of woeful. When McCombe receives the ball, you expect him to punt it aimlessly, and he rarely fails to let you down. Not good enough. Fonts and Carey were missed today. Nyatanga had a solid game. Was very composed at the back and looks very promising.

Ivan Sproule. Not good enough. He can run fast, but I am fail to see what else he offers.

John Akinde. Big John. So laid back and played really well when he came on. Strong, quick and must have a good chance of starting on tuesday night.

Hartley CLEAR MoM. Also thought big John done well when he came on. Sproule to inconsistent and im sorry but McCoombe is nothing more than a squad player now.

Still we stuck at it and YET AGAIN Colin leaves Ashton with nothing but a sore throat!!!!

:chant6ez:

As i was walking past the Atyeo at the end of the game I heard a older gentleman in a city shirt say "I was not impressed with Hartley, I was very disapointed. He seems like a new Lee Johnson". :disapointed2se:

Elliot was clear MOM for me. Hartley was very good, Maynard played well. I thought Sproule did fine actually, I don't see how anyone can say he didn't offer anything.

I agree about Akinde though, he defintiely offered something more. In terms of attributes, he seems to have everything.

agree with sproule he couldn't turn his gran

akinde looks a totally different player not only was he winning headers he was actually aiming them to our players the only criticism was when he was played in and miles clear he didn't look across the line and was offside

maynard ran his socks off again and deserved his goal it's going to be a big season for him this year

I said to my old man at three O'Clock when I saw Clarkson line up in the hole, and without the benefit of hindsight, that Akinde should have been playing next to Maynard in that formation. And had GJ picked Akinde from the start I think we may have saw off Palace with a lot more comfort. The lad (you could almost call him a kid!!) put himself about, won headers, is direct, held up a few clearances, shot for the disallowed goal and generally did everything you would want a "big" centre forward to do. Very impressed and I think the boy has the potential to really go places.

Agree all the positive comments about Akinde. He was as good today as he was awful against Wycombe.

His headed flick-ons were excellent, plus he delivered a couple of excellent balls for Nicky to run on to and he showed a fair turn of pace too. He's a presence and will unsettle defenders. Definitely a great prospect, but I wouldn't say a starter just yet.

I said to my old man at three O'Clock when I saw Clarkson line up in the hole, and without the benefit of hindsight, that Akinde should have been playing next to Maynard in that formation. And had GJ picked Akinde from the start I think we may have saw off Palace with a lot more comfort. The lad (you could almost call him a kid!!) put himself about, won headers, is direct, held up a few clearances, shot for the disallowed goal and generally did everything you would want a "big" centre forward to do. Very impressed and I think the boy has the potential to really go places.

To be honest, I didn't think he was going to get much of a look in this season, neither did I think he was going to be any better than Showunmi. But i'm pleased to say, the lad looks like he's going to prove me wrong. He's got a lot of potential, indeed.

Agree all the positive comments about Akinde. He was as good today as he was awful against Wycombe.

His headed flick-ons were excellent, plus he delivered a couple of excellent balls for Nicky to run on to and he showed a fair turn of pace too. He's a presence and will unsettle defenders. Definitely a great prospect, but I wouldn't say a starter just yet.

I wouldn't start the lad regularly but I felt, given the system GJ used with Clarkson in the hole, today would have been his day. His contribution as a centre forward over the whole 90 would certainly have exceeded the hard working but ultimately headless chicken wearing 17 today. I, like others, don't mind watching Sproule but only in half hour sized doses when the opposition are tiring!!

sproule was usual crap............Forest Gump.....at best

Akinde........was super when he came on........

Maynard ....excellent as was Hartley and MOM was Elliot in the first half and Akinde in the second, Elliot got mom...

Gerkin ....looked good also...

Orr and Maccer did ok.........but look lost when they have space with the ball and time.

everyone else did ok..

Thought that sproule was very very bad and a 3 year contract! i would prefer brian wilson, scott murray, bas savage ahead of him!

Akinde linked up well with maynard and it was clear to see in the first few minutes that he was holding the ball up well and playing it off to maynard well, another chance for the 2 to link up on tuesday please.

I thought Akinde looked very good. All his headers were directed at other players and on several occassions he brought long balls down and played in Maynard or others around him. he did wander out to the wings a little too often but I think he should be given a run in the side because that will improve his positional play. He forced Palace into some rough tactics winning free kicks on the edge of the box and looked a threat all the time he was on. Maynard took his goal well.

Sproule.............if i had any decent amount of hair left, i`d have pulled it out this afternoon. For 95% of the match the guy can`t control a football, seems incapable of being where he should be on the pitch at any given moment and then......he gives a glimpse of what he can do ie 2nd half down in the right corner picks up the ball turns one way with a defender on him only to see another one coming and proceeds to turn them both back to the goal line, beats his man for pace and plays a low dangerous ball in that gets cleared for a corner. Classic wing play and if you could get more of that output from him the 3 yr deal would have got the thumbs up from me. Havn`t seen Haynes yet so i can`t compare the two but for me Sproules` future is on the bench as an impact player.

Didn`t catch the news on Carey and Fontaine this morning so was a little suprised to see boom boom start and even more disappointed to see him lump it forward in the first couple of minutes !!! Have to say that overall i was disappointed with the 1st half performance although Hartley still has the class to do a good job for us. I think the comment on Orr and McAllister was a bit harsh, i thought they did ok and it can`t be easy for Bradders when the guy you`re trying to pass to is still running around like a headless chicken !!!

Nyatanga had a solid game and Gherkin had a good game too with, other than a couple of fine saves, not really a lot to do and hopefully will be growing in confidence. As for the `goal` my take on it is that the linesman flagged for an infringement on Gherkin by Sears, given the ridiculous amount of fouls awarded for some minor challenges it wouldn`t suprise me. More unbelievable though was the fact it took the ref so bloody long to produce a card. I just hope he was having an off day and not playing to the letter of whatever the latest guidelines are from the FA !!!

As for Colin ?? I must confess for having a soft spot for him, he`s one of a dieing breed, managers with a bit of character and TBH i can`t blame him for being a bit off hand. I havn`t heard an official statement from the ref yet to say why the goal wasn`t allowed to stand but i`ll be gobsmacked if it`s because they didn`t think it had actually gone in. Are some of our officials r3eally that poor ?? :tumbleweed:

Marvellous Marvin was my MOTM, but the final word goes to Nicky Maynard...looked lively throughout against a pretty strong defense but when it really counted, showed just what a class act he is with a superb finish to nick the points.

I`d like to see Louis and Liam back in for Tues and hopefully Haynes, unfortunately i`ll be at work. Another 3pts would loverly.

PDG

Akinde........I disagree that he is one for the future and that he is promising and has potential.

He displayed in 45 mins today that he has all the tools neccessary to do the job up front for us NOW!

He has a great first touch and control of the ball, won most of his headers with a good flick-on, is strong, has an eye for a very decent pass, is surpisingly fast and isn't afraid to run at defenders with the ball. He also shoots when he has the opportunity. Perhaps we should teach him not to do these things?!

Apart from scoring this afternoon I don't think he could have done any better and IMO deserves a start, yes he may be raw, but on todays showing he's ready.

I hope he doesn't get dropped out of things if the Rangers striker joins us, that is unless the new man is better of course.

Maynard played very well, took his chance and looks up for it.

Glad that GJ has to make the decisions.

Elliot was clear MOM for me. Hartley was very good, Maynard played well. I thought Sproule did fine actually, I don't see how anyone can say he didn't offer anything.

I agree about Akinde though, he defintiely offered something more. In terms of attributes, he seems to have everything.

Thought Maynard was MOTM, rather than Marvin,but other than that I agree with you

Archived