IGNORED

Goal Keeper

PAPA650

Who is our no 1 keeper Gerken seems to be holding his own but is Henderson officially our no 1 ??? is he injured and will he replace gerken or do you guys feel he must wait for his chance !!! and b4 comments are made basso is a no no as much as i love the guy he turn't his back on the club as far as i'm concerned !!! thoughts plzzz :englandsmile4wf:

Who is our no 1 keeper Gerken seems to be holding his own but is Henderson officially our no 1 ??? is he injured and will he replace gerken or do you guys feel he must wait for his chance !!! and b4 comments are made basso is a no no as much as i love the guy he turn't his back on the club as far as i'm concerned !!! thoughts plzzz :englandsmile4wf:

Gerkin, number 1 easy. Basso wanting away, henderson injured and un tested as at this level as he has not played a run on games. Lets get behind gerkin and forget the GK issues. Playing well and clearly loving being our number 1 - end off.

Curiously the No 1 shirt has not been allocated this season but, with the Basso situation and Henderson injured, Gerken, who presumably was due to be No. 2 behind Basso (replacement for Weale) is now the man.

From the 2 games I have seen (Palace and QPR) I actually feel a lot more confident with Deano in goal than Adriano, who made a few costly mistakes last season (Wolves, Plymouth and Cardiff at home spring to mind) as well as getting away with a few "Basso" moments, remember the backheel in the box?

Dean may not be as entertaining, but he seems to be more competent. I would definitely keep him as No 1 keeper on sheer merit.

• SC&T Board Members

He is Dean Gerken, he is not a number!

Maynard may have scored 3 goals and that gets all teh headlines but lets not forget that Deano has kept 3 clean sheets. At first I was a little wary of him but we now have a new hero in our goal. He still needs to improve on one or two little things but with each game his confidence is growing and the saves he is making is getting better and better. As each games go buy as well his defence are become more confident of him. However the next two games will be a real test for him.

The interesting thing for me is how Basso is working hard with him in the warm up and during the half time interval, even though he wants to leave he is still working hard to make Gerken a better keeper. I also noticed Basso give Gerken a good round of applause with the save he made in the dying minutes of the QPR game.

Someone who does not get a lot of credit but shoud is Stuart Naylor because both Basso and Gerken when they joined us were not the finished articles but he is certainly doing well in the coaching department and getting them up to a high standard.

The interesting thing for me is how Basso is working hard with him in the warm up and during the half time interval, even though he wants to leave he is still working hard to make Gerken a better keeper. I also noticed Basso give Gerken a good round of applause with the save he made in the dying minutes of the QPR game.

Someone who does not get a lot of credit but shoud is Stuart Naylor because both Basso and Gerken when they joined us were not the finished articles but he is certainly doing well in the coaching department and getting them up to a high standard.

Absoloutely.

He certainly worked Gerken hard in the pre-season games.

In his time here Naylor has taken a relative unknown, an injury prone keeper and two bright young prospects and has made them all into Championship quality keepers.

Guest MaloneFM

I agree that Gerkin has played very well although his positioning can be suspect on crosses and accuracy of kicks needs to be worked on. Having said that I'm not sure how all this works.

Are the squad numbers sent to the FA and then cast in stone? The way it looks he-who's-name-shall- not-be-spoken-less-a-small-riot-break-out may have been listed as number one. Then subsequent events meant his dropping down the list like a stone to shirt number 35. Which is Styvars number who probably isn't coming back. But they are both listed as that number which could be awkward and probably give a new meaning to the term full back.

Gerkin is 22. Henderson is 30.

So I suppose the actual number one in shirt numbers is still Bas...that was a close one!

Archived