IGNORED

Bristol Has Competition To Represent The Westcountry In The World Cup....

Luke_Ciderhead

No chance. They will only build a stadium if they get selected plus getting there is a nightmare. We have two major motorways bypassing our city and also easy access to the motorway network.

They are situated miles from the nearest motorway and also during the world cup access to Plymouth would be a nightmare, it's bad enough now during the summer getting to Devon and Cornwall.

MM

this will only be good news for us the council wont want to loose out to plymuff thus making the bid our end almost nailed on were get planning permission for sure now

Yeah definitely, though as others have said it's highly unlikely a plymouth bid would win over Bristol. That'd be like a Blackburn bid winning over Liverpool.

Guest ashtonyate

Well I would not dismiss it out of hand,yes its well of the beaten track but that part of England is staved of top flight Football.

I think if Plymouth had a big enough Stadium they could be considered as a contender for matches.

The thing that makes me laugh is we haven't even got it here yet and the amount of corruption in F I F A its not a fore gone conclusion that we will get it.

It has some things going for it, it's view on close family units are legendary and a ship left there to the states along time ago.

Problem is many people see Bristol as a bumpkin backwater, just like we see Plymouth which is why I can't help but feel we'll lose out to MK, which would be a terrible decision.

It has some things going for it, it's view on close family units are legendary and a ship left there to the states along time ago.

Problem is many people see Bristol as a bumpkin backwater, just like we see Plymouth which is why I can't help but feel we'll lose out to MK, which would be a terrible decision.

Bristol is a city which is far closer to the other major cities in England, which makes it more accesible. Add to the fact Bristol is a major city and Plymouth is not, this really shows there can only be one winner in that respect.

Guest ashtonyate
Bristol is a city which is far closer to the other major cities in England, which makes it more accesible. Add to the fact Bristol is a major city and Plymouth is not, this really shows there can only be one winner in that respect.

But surely travel does not come into it if they give the games to city or Plymouth its more for the local people not necessaries for fans travelling big distances,and Plymouth has all of Cornwall on its door step.

If Plymouth had a prem team they would get the support.

But surely travel does not come into it if they give the games to city or Plymouth its more for the local people not necessaries for fans travelling big distances,and Plymouth has all of Cornwall on its door step.

You're right about Plymouth having all of Cornwall on it's doorstep helping, but many people in England see Bristol as a far more attractive city to come to.

I terms of business Bristol is a mjor player, but as far as anything else goes, especially its perception outside the area it is anything but.

The fact that it has no motorway and a poxy airport are massive marks against it.

But surely travel does not come into it if they give the games to city or Plymouth its more for the local people not necessaries for fans travelling big distances

Eh?

The World Cup is just for local people?!?!

I think you will find tens of thousends of people will fly around the world to go to World Cup matches. It's an internatioal event.

If England win the bid and Bristol is chosen as a venue and say for example Holland plays a game at Ashton Vale you can easily expect around 10-15,000 Dutch fans descending on our city

Good transport links are very important and thats what Bristol has over Plymouth

Eh?

The World Cup is just for local people?!?!

I think you will find tens of thousends of people will fly around the world to go to World Cup matches. It's an internatioal event.

If England win the bid and Bristol is chosen as a venue and say for example Holland plays a game at Ashton Vale you can easily expect around 10-15,000 Dutch fans descending on our city

Good transport links are very important and thats what Bristol has over Plymouth

Agreed. Just about every advantage there is to have possible is with Bristol over Plymouth. It would be ridiculous to think that Plymouth could even rival city in this respect, because they do not yet have planning permission for a new stadium.

It might sound silly, but I'd rather somewhere like Plymouth got it rather than the usual suspects of Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham etc.

Yes yes, I know they'll spread it around the country and utilise existing venues, but is anyone else a bit sick of the usual cities in this country staging any big event?

And just to state, I would 100% love it if Bristol saw World Cup football.

It'd be nice if both Bristol and Plymouth became host cities but I can't see it. The transport infrastructure isn't great. The train journey even from here is longer than if you drive.

I've just returned from Cornwall. It took two and a half hours to get to Plymouth from St Ives and three hours to get back to Bristol from Plymouth.

I know there are always hold ups but they just don't have the infrastructure in place other than one road east or west and a long train journey.

Bristol wins hands down when you think of the different modes of transport and directions you can travel and the obvious audience catchment area that it covers.

Archived