IGNORED

Squad/formation

marshy

Given the problems we were having recruiting wide midfielders over the Summer and also taking into account the McIndoe situation I was pleased to see Gary take the option of switching to 3-5-2 (3-4-1-2) as it seemed to be the easiest way of giving us a squad which had cover in every position.

This is how I see the squad at present:

GK--------Gerken/Henderson/Basso (3 keepers needed)

CB--------Carey/Fontaine/Nyatanga/McCombe/JWilson/---ANOther

RWB------Orr/Ribeiro

LWB------McAllister/Blackman

CM-------Hartley/Elliott/Skuse/Williams/Johnson-------ANOther

Str-------Maynard/Haynes/Clarkson/Akinde

It seems to me that this obsession with signing a target man is a bit of a sideshow, plenty of successful sides play without one, and there are more important problems with the squad that need to be addressed.

Carey out, Nyatanga ill, JWilson on loan!!!, and we have to change our shape. Another CB is needed to give us adequate cover.

As others have commented we also seem to be short in the central midfield area and would be even more stretched if Gary decides to use Skuse more frequently at CB.

It also seems to me that Sproule and BWilson were fortunate to get new contracts, Sproule doesn't seem to fit the shape and BWilson looks as though he might be hindering the development of a young player. Besides if Gary thinks we need a utility player in the squad look no further than Skuse who seems to be able to give adequate cover in a number of positions.

Guest ashtonyate
Given the problems we were having recruiting wide midfielders over the Summer and also taking into account the McIndoe situation I was pleased to see Gary take the option of switching to 3-5-2 (3-4-1-2) as it seemed to be the easiest way of giving us a squad which had cover in every position.

This is how I see the squad at present:

GK--------Gerken/Henderson/Basso (3 keepers needed)

CB--------Carey/Fontaine/Nyatanga/McCombe/JWilson/---ANOther

RWB------Orr/Ribeiro

LWB------McAllister/Blackman

CM-------Hartley/Elliott/Skuse/Williams/Johnson-------ANOther

Str-------Maynard/Haynes/Clarkson/Akinde

It seems to me that this obsession with signing a target man is a bit of a sideshow, plenty of successful sides play without one, and there are more important problems with the squad that need to be addressed.

Carey out, Nyatanga ill, JWilson on loan!!!, and we have to change our shape. Another CB is needed to give us adequate cover.

As others have commented we also seem to be short in the central midfield area and would be even more stretched if Gary decides to use Skuse more frequently at CB.

It also seems to me that Sproule and BWilson were fortunate to get new contracts, Sproule doesn't seem to fit the shape and BWilson looks as though he might be hindering the development of a young player. Besides if Gary thinks we need a utility player in the squad look no further than Skuse who seems to be able to give adequate cover in a number of positions.

You are joking aren't you I look at that forward line and want to cry it is lacking a big forward and there is not enough cover for injuries loss of form or competition,there is not enough goals in that lot.

the mid field is very poor I don't know if your post was to cheer us up or not, but I am looking for the razor to end it all

the mid field is very poor

Yet only last week there were posters on here saying how good our midfield was, some even going as far as saying it was the best in our division.

Someone else quoted a friend who was a season ticket holder at Cardiff as saying their midfield was dire!

I am looking for the razor to end it all

...and only last week you posted:

"As you know I am quick to have a go about things I don't like down at Ashton gate but credit where credit is due.

Some of the football played in the first half was the best play since Johnson has Managed the club.

It fast exciting flowing football a joy to watch,I hope its the start of things to come as the team settle down to a pattern.

The three new signings look to be very good Haynes looked very good good work rate fast feet and a good footballing brain.Clarkson seems to settling in Ok.

The player that show us what we have lacked was Hartley I thought at his age he would not last 90 minutes .

What a inspiration he is a born leader always wanting the ball.

We lost our shape a bit in the second half and probably and should have had a couple of goal lead at half time on the minus side, but never the less I really enjoyed the game.

Maynard is looking the player worth the money we paid for him great goal."

Guest ashtonyate
Yet only last week there were posters on here saying how good our midfield was, some even going as far as saying it was the best in our division.

Someone else quoted a friend who was a season ticket holder at Cardiff as saying their midfield was dire!

I think I said how good Hartley was and he was but I did say that his age would be a problem when they bought him and I think 3 full games in 8 days took its toll on him, but the problem is we don't have a midfielder to fill that position we are left with the same as last year and they were not good enough.

I think I said how good Hartley was and he was but I did say that his age would be a problem when they bought him and I think 3 full games in 8 days took its toll on him, but the problem is we don't have a midfielder to fill that position we are left with the same as last year and they were not good enough.

If you read your quote again, you actually said a lot more than that.

Or was the fast flowing football, the best you had seen for years, all due to Hartley?

You are joking aren't you I look at that forward line and want to cry it is lacking a big forward and there is not enough cover for injuries loss of form or competition,there is not enough goals in that lot.

the mid field is very poor I don't know if your post was to cheer us up or not, but I am looking for the razor to end it all

I think that you've missed the point to a certain extent. Cover is needed in every position so that we don't have to keep chopping and changing our shape to deal with a couple of absentees, hence the need for another CB. And if you re-read my post I think you'll see that I've highlighted the midfield area as one we need to strengthen, especially a creative,attacking option. I certainly don't think that we necessarily need a big forward, what any team needs is good footballers and, as I said before , plenty of teams enjoy success without a big target man.

Archived