IGNORED

Artus

Rednready

GJ seems to me to have an issue with trusting the players that have come up through the ranks. He seems to have no problem signing young players and then playing them but we haven't really had an academy player break into the first team since he's been here. (Ones like Skuse and Cotts were already in the XI when GJ came here). None of the others that GJ has given debuts to, Wilson, Artus, JMW, or Ribeiro have stuck yet and he does seem reluctant to give them runs of games without which I fear they will not improve. Spud's point is a good one I think - why pick a Brian Wilson we KNOW is not ever going to be better than poor to middling over Ribeiro who *may* one day be a Prem player with the right development?

Agree 100% with that, now Ribiero. Wilson, etc are i know somewhat unknown quantities but why we pick people we know aren't good enough over them i don't know. We Pick Willson who is a useful utility player but with no pre-season, no even non-competitive games with the first team he get's picked ahead of a player who had a full pre-season, played in a good few of the first team friendlies yet gets left on the bench while we get absolutely battered.

We have James Wilson being sent of on loan leaving us dangerously short of centre backs and unable to field our first choice formation leaving one that was just eaten up by a good side in this division, how we have only 4 recognised Centre backs at the club is not only frankly beyond belief it's nothing short of suicidal.

We have Artus sat in the stiffs while we are stretched thin in midfield, Partly down to our worrying lack of central defenders, yet Sproule (who honestly has to be the worst player at the club) gets in the squad week in week out.

I started a thread a couple of days ago, 'squad/formation' , highlighting exactly the same problems which was hi-jacked by ashtonyate. I was beginning to think that I was a lone voice in the wilderness but obviously not. If we are serious about playing three CDs then more cover in that position is essential. Skuse could be included as a 5th but even that is not enough as we learnt to our cost on Saturday. I agree completely with your post apart from the comment about Sproule. Having watched and re-watched the extended highlights on World that award surely has to go to Jamie McCombe whose lack of mobilty and poor positional sense was embarrassing.

Thankyou all for your thoughtful replies, it would appear that Frankie has supporters for his cause.

As to our Carlisle team, I see it as a good opportunity to give a some of our unused players a run. Perhaps Ribiero, Artus and Blackman. Surely some time on the pitch would be deserved.

Then of course we have the return of Richard Keogh and Anyinsah for Carlisle, a match of interest for the careers of some young men ?

And well done to you, too, for starting this thread - and eliciting a sensible response. As I said earlier, I tried to do the same a month or two back, and was not taken seriously. Must have been something I said!

Something seems to have shifted in the ranks and I find it really heartening to see a groundswell of opinion developing regarding our Academy graduates now on professional contracts. We all know that GJ isn't going to select a player just because a group of supporters happen to hold this or that view, but I do think that perhaps over time a collective expression of concern does filter through and at least get noticed.

The post drawing attention to the apparent discrepancy between the manager's attitude to the young players he's brought in and those who've come up through the ranks was particularly thought-provoking. As unlikely as it seems, it does make one wonder whether there is something here about internal politics at the club and relations between the senior coaching staff and the Academy. (I'm not trying to make mischief: I've heard nothing to that effect myself, but such things are not unknown, even in the best-run organisations.)

One would think that GJ would feel he could afford to take the occasional risk in giving one or two of the young lads a run. His position at the club could hardly be more secure: he has a terrific track record behind him, is on a five-year contract and has enough slack to be able to indulge in a bit of experimentation now and again, especially in games like tonight's.

If Artus should get on, albeit as a sub, I hope an enthusiastic reception will help convey to the manager the sentiments expressed here. And yes, the return of Keogh and Anyinsah is ironic, in the context of the foregoing debate. It will be interesting to see how they perform, if selected...

And well done to you, too, for starting this thread - and eliciting a sensible response. As I said earlier, I tried to do the same a month or two back, and was not taken seriously. Must have been something I said!

Something seems to have shifted in the ranks and I find it really heartening to see a groundswell of opinion developing regarding our Academy graduates now on professional contracts. We all know that GJ isn't going to select a player just because a group of supporters happen to hold this or that view, but I do think that perhaps over time a collective expression of concern does filter through and at least get noticed.

The post drawing attention to the apparent discrepancy between the manager's attitude to the young players he's brought in and those who've come up through the ranks was particularly thought-provoking. As unlikely as it seems, it does make one wonder whether there is something here about internal politics at the club and relations between the senior coaching staff and the Academy. (I'm not trying to make mischief: I've heard nothing to that effect myself, but such things are not unknown, even in the best-run organisations.)

One would think that GJ would feel he could afford to take the occasional risk in giving one or two of the young lads a run. His position at the club could hardly be more secure: he has a terrific track record behind him, is on a five-year contract and has enough slack to be able to indulge in a bit of experimentation now and again, especially in games like tonight's.

If Artus should get on, albeit as a sub, I hope an enthusiastic reception will help convey to the manager the sentiments expressed here. And yes, the return of Keogh and Anyinsah is ironic, in the context of the foregoing debate. It will be interesting to see how they perform, if selected...

The difference with Keogh and Anyinsah is they dont have such strong Bristolian roots, both thought they could do better elsewhere, and both wanted to go...

Frankie is a Bristolian and a City fan and even since signing as a professional has travelled away, with his dad, as a fan, to at least one game that I've seen, when he could have travelled with the team if he'd wanted to.

About time a decent player who fellow Bristolians can truly relate to is given a chance, I feel.

We have a younger squad than last year,and one of our local young bloods turns 21 next month.

Yes indeed, Frankie Artus turns 21 next month, no longer a kid or one for the future. He gave league 1 a shot of class last season, was given a new contract by GJ/SL for this season so he is obviously in the frame.

Plummer, Jackson and J Wilson are out on loan, yet Akinde and Artus are still with the main squad. I noticed that many posters and recently TomF have given Artus a positive review, as a class above.

What does he actually have to do, to get in the starting X1 or at least the squad. GJ has started 18-22 year olds or played them from the bench. Am I missing something, as even Blackman at 18 gets a run, whilst Frankie is still busting his b*lls trying to get noticed by his home club.

I am BCFC through and through and if a player is not the real deal I will call it. Artus has been called the Messiah, better than sliced bread, a class above etc.

Last season and this we have had question marks about our midfield, I ask a very relevent question.

If Elliot leaves or not, Is Artus a better selection than Skuse, LJ, or Williams. If not, when will he be ready, 22, 24, 30, 40 ?

I'd have thought that by the age of 20 most up and coming prospects would have had a couple of appearances at least. As the saying goes if you are good enough you're old enough, look at the Ipswich forward who is coming off the bench regularly at 16 years of age.

In Johnsons' previous managing positions, he's never had to work with an established academy. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that he seems to lack the faith in our young players, as he's never before had the experience of putting them into league games. Personally i feel that he seems much more willing to play nothing players such as Brian Wilson, and in the past kevin betsy, Iriekpen etc. than give our own youth players the chance to show him they can perform in the championship. Perhaps this is because these were the types of players he was use to signing at yeovil, so he feels safer using them, rather than taking a risk as he see's it and playing a young player from the academy.

Intrestingly, since Johnson left Yeovil they now have flourishing Centre of Excellence. 5 or 6 under 17;s got taken on at the end of last season. As far as i am aware these now train with the first team. At Yeovil these lads will be given a chance, at City it seems that our youth dont get that chance.

The difference with Keogh and Anyinsah is they dont have such strong Bristolian roots, both thought they could do better elsewhere, and both wanted to go...

Frankie is a Bristolian and a City fan and even since signing as a professional has travelled away, with his dad, as a fan, to at least one game that I've seen, when he could have travelled with the team if he'd wanted to.

About time a decent player who fellow Bristolians can truly relate to is given a chance, I feel.

Couldn't agree more. If they're not good enough, don't give them pro contracts. If you do give them pro contracts, then for Christ's sake play the poor buggers once in a while, and give them a bit of encouragement and experience. We have heard such good things about Artus, and his performances for Cheltenham suggest the lad can play. I will be disappointed if he can't even get a place on the bench tonight.

Anyinsah was born in Bristol.

Intrestingly, since Johnson left Yeovil they now have flourishing Centre of Excellence. 5 or 6 under 17;s got taken on at the end of last season. As far as i am aware these now train with the first team. At Yeovil these lads will be given a chance, at City it seems that our youth dont get that chance.

Or even if they do it's after they've been out on loan for a good while and have lost one of the best attributes young players can bring to a side. By they time any of our young players get a chance (even the ones Johnson has signed) they have played enough so they have lost the natural fearlessness that goes with being young. Something that we could well have found to be very useful against Cardiff. The entire team were terrified of Cardiff, we gave them so much space and time on the ball because we were afraid of their ability with the ball, it may have made no difference but there have been so many occasions when whatching football when teams have looked scared only for a youngster to do something, make a risky challenge, go on a mazy run with the ball, just do something out of the ordinary that works out and the whole team feed's off that. Usually Elliot brings that to our side he will make one massive challenge or make one of his surging runs when we are under the cosh a bit and the whole team feeds off it.

I'm not saying that we should have started the likes of Artus et al against caridiff but why not have them on the bench, at 2-0 down at half time and getting completely battered we simply couldn't have gotten any worse, and that's the perfect time to throw a couple of them on, and just see what they can do, if it doesn't work we'll loose the game, but they are the sort of subs that can turn a game especially one where we are getting battered. But instead we bring on Williams who hasn't as of yet proved that he's up to it week in week out.

I know but his parents weren't and therefore doesn't have such strong Bristolian roots or affinity with City.

Frankie is from a City supporting family.

It says on Wikipedia that he was with City since the age of 9, which would suggest he probably has the club down as his favourite team.

Or even if they do it's after they've been out on loan for a good while and have lost one of the best attributes young players can bring to a side. By they time any of our young players get a chance (even the ones Johnson has signed) they have played enough so they have lost the natural fearlessness that goes with being young. Something that we could well have found to be very useful against Cardiff. The entire team were terrified of Cardiff, we gave them so much space and time on the ball because we were afraid of their ability with the ball, it may have made no difference but there have been so many occasions when whatching football when teams have looked scared only for a youngster to do something, make a risky challenge, go on a mazy run with the ball, just do something out of the ordinary that works out and the whole team feed's off that. Usually Elliot brings that to our side he will make one massive challenge or make one of his surging runs when we are under the cosh a bit and the whole team feeds off it.

I'm not saying that we should have started the likes of Artus et al against caridiff but why not have them on the bench, at 2-0 down at half time and getting completely battered we simply couldn't have gotten any worse, and that's the perfect time to throw a couple of them on, and just see what they can do, if it doesn't work we'll loose the game, but they are the sort of subs that can turn a game especially one where we are getting battered. But instead we bring on Williams who hasn't as of yet proved that he's up to it week in week out.

I've always rated Williams, but you are right he does struggle to perform consistantly and the more I think about it, he is actually quite a weak player. Same applies to LJ and although Skuse does put his foot in, I also think he is a bit weak physically. Artus could just be the missing link in a three man midfield of Elliot/Hartley/Artus.

If Artus should get on, albeit as a sub, I hope an enthusiastic reception will help convey to the manager the sentiments expressed here.

In my experience City fans have always been supportive and patient and given great encouragement to young local players so I'm sure Artus would be no different.

I'll be disappointed if Artus doesn't feature tonight - I want City to put out a strong team and win this match but not a single one of Sunday's midfield could complain if Artus took their place.

Ribeiro should also play - I don't think Wilson was as bad as some on here make out, but he is primarily a midfielder and after 9 months out clearly is not match fit.

Let's hope GJ surprises us all, the inclusion a couple of youngsters would make this a far more interesting match for the paying fans.

In my experience City fans have always been supportive and patient and given great encouragement to young local players so I'm sure Artus would be no different.

I'll be disappointed if Artus doesn't feature tonight - I want City to put out a strong team and win this match but not a single one of Sunday's midfield could complain if Artus took their place.

Ribeiro should also play - I don't think Wilson was as bad as some on here make out, but he is primarily a midfielder and after 9 months out clearly is not match fit.

Let's hope GJ surprises us all, the inclusion a couple of youngsters would make this a far more interesting match for the paying fans.

Agree on all counts, including your fair assessment on Wilson, who was poor, but no worse than many others and has, as you say, at least got the excuse of having been long-term injured. Some of the criticism was harsh in the light of that.

As daft as it sounds, if we were to put a "second string" out tonight then i would go and watch but i have opted to work instead. With Henderson if fit, Reberio, Artus, Akinde, blackman and 6senior players, i am sure we can still beat them tonight.

I would like to point out that GJ sees Artus training on a daily bases and watches him in reserve games. Perhaps his attitude is poor or his fitness levels are not good enough ( like the noble situation ), if this is the case then GJ will not pick him however good he is. That is fact..

I would like to point out that GJ sees Artus training on a daily bases and watches him in reserve games. Perhaps his attitude is poor or his fitness levels are not good enough ( like the noble situation ), if this is the case then GJ will not pick him however good he is. That is fact..

You would think that as GJ gave Frankie a contract only 2 months ago, that wouldnt be the case.

Frankie's on the bench for tonight's game

Yes, the 7 substitutes thing, means Frankie is going to get a good view of the games this season, it would seem.

Tonights substitutions were baffling.

Cant even be bothered to elaborate, but suffice to say that IMO a player with Frankie's attributes would have made a difference in the middle.

Yes, the 7 substitutes thing, means Frankie is going to get a good view of the games this season, it would seem.

Tonights substitutions were baffling.

Cant even be bothered to elaborate, but suffice to say that IMO a player with Frankie's attributes would have made a difference in the middle.

A player with the atributes of a Conference player would have made a difference in the middle tonight, i thought our midfield was bad at times last season but tonight was a new low in inept midfield performances.

If Artus can't get on the pitch in a game like tonight when our midfield was beyond poor, then he surely has to start looking for a new club as if it wasn't clear Johnson isn't going to play him then surely it is now.

A player with the atributes of a Conference player would have made a difference in the middle tonight, i thought our midfield was bad at times last season but tonight was a new low in inept midfield performances.

If Artus can't get on the pitch in a game like tonight when our midfield was beyond poor, then he surely has to start looking for a new club as if it wasn't clear Johnson isn't going to play him then surely it is now.

I think its something like 1 win out of the last 15 when we have started with Elliott and Johnson in midfield.

At what point does a promising youngster with a bit of drive and ability to make things happen get given a chance as an alternative?

Clearly he doesnt, off to Cheltenham.

I couldn't believe that the lad wasn't brought on at half time last night and given a go. I fear that we will never see him in a red shirt in his favoured midfield position and that this loan is the beginning of the end for the lad at Ashton Gate.

totally agree, the kid has talent, needs match time for confidence, just give him a chance, every1 else seems to have endless chances!

Last season Artus had his Cheltenham loan time in league 1. he showed great promise at that level. Now he's dropped to league 2, not a career progress.

I can only hope its just to maintain match fitness. He must be feeling very low right now. The club he supports, playing like they did, he's on the bench and still cant get a run on. Sounds like out on loan is Cities 21st birthday present for him....sad day.

Archived