IGNORED

Positives From Last Night

potbelly

There wern`t any on the pitch.

A personal one for me was the guy behind me saying that Lee Johnson would make a great referee

When i asked him why he said

"He always keeps up with play, never too far from the ball and doesn`t interfere with play."

Reading the posts on here there is a definate split between people who were at the game telling how it is and the other posters who stayed home but want to blindly defend our manager.

The way i see it, so far this season;

Preston- Thrown away a 2 goal lead with 8 minutes to play,

Palace - They scored, we won. If the goal had been given we would have lost the game. Lucky win

QPR - Great 45 mins (we didn`t score though), they hit a post when it was easier to score, wonder goal by Maynard.

Brentford - A gimme

Cardiff - Outclassed in every dept

Carlisle - Another gimme that we cocked up.

We`ve changed the formation and changed half the squad.

For the first time i can now see GJ coming under some pressure to show that the faith shown in him by the Chairman is justified.

I`m not ready for a knee jerk reaction yet but history and sentiment don`t mean anything in todays game.

GJ has one of his famous blocks of 10 to prove that he is as good a manager as we all hope he is. If he dosn`t turn it around the pressure will build and i`m not convinced that he would be able to take that amount of pressure.

The only positive I saw last night was Andre Blackman, who done well for the few minutes he came on.

Seeing a 32yo grown man in the Williams stand close to tears shaking his head and getting down to leave 4 minutes before the end (when the stoppage time went up) turning to a steward saying, "if I'm not good enough for that I may as well retire", certainly got my goat up. The only person that seemed to give a damn last night and he can't get near the squad.

If we get hammered on Saturday, which on the last two performances is a distinct possibility then I fill this could have a snowball effect, which has a massive dent in morale and would only lead to more defeats than successes.

Saturday is a critical game and Johnson needs to pick the 18 players willing to die for the cause. None of this you're the best player, or his standard line up. Two seriously hard 11 vs 11 training games and you play the players that die for the cause, because those are the only players that want to put on the shirt. My worry is on the last two games, we might struggle to field 11 let alone 18.

The way i see it, so far this season;

Preston- Thrown away a 2 goal lead with 8 minutes to play,

Palace - They scored, we won. If the goal had been given we would have lost the game. Lucky win

QPR - Great 45 mins (we didn`t score though), they hit a post when it was easier to score, wonder goal by Maynard.

Brentford - A gimme

Cardiff - Outclassed in every dept

Carlisle - Another gimme that we cocked up.

We`ve changed the formation and changed half the squad.

For the first time i can now see GJ coming under some pressure to show that the faith shown in him by the Chairman is justified.

I`m not ready for a knee jerk reaction yet but history and sentiment don`t mean anything in todays game.

GJ has one of his famous blocks of 10 to prove that he is as good a manager as we all hope he is. If he dosn`t turn it around the pressure will build and i`m not convinced that he would be able to take that amount of pressure.

Preston: it happens. It wasn't our fault that the ref gave a dodgy penalty 5 minutes into injury time. Contrary to popular belief, we actually kept attacking after we went 2-0 up, and had chances to make it 3-0 and 3-1. We tried to sit on the lead for the last five minutes, and we were unlucky. We played some really good football in the second half against a very good team.

Palace: How on earth can you say we would have lost had Sears goal been allowed? Complete speculation. We scored two legitimate goals, they scored one.

QPR: Fantastic first half, withstood some early pressure - again from a good side with a quality midfield - and got the three points. Great result.

Brentford: Anything but a gimme. Wasn't there, but they are a good league one side and sounds like we got a win despite not the best performance.

Cardiff: Agreed, we were awful. But I wouldn't have expected a point against them away from home and I don't see it as a massive deal.

Carlisle: Awful.

We've changed the squad for the better. How anyone can't see that is beyond me. Yes, we need a left winger, and we've got one on trial at the moment.

One positive for me was Ribiero and his performance. I thought he looked confident, got himself into trouble once and got the ball back and also put in one or two decent crosses, niot that there were many during the evening. Also Blackman, although he looked a tad nervous.

Negatives, well there are to many to put down, but one thing that really annoyed me was Sproule and Williams clashing when Sproule clearly had the run of the ball and Williams tried to take it off him. The two then stood and argued whilst Carlisle went on the attack. School boy stuff and shameful.

Also, we looked desperate when Boom Boom went up front and that told a story for our strength in depth, we really don't have one.

This result and Cardiffs has been on the wall and now action must be taken. Technically we should of drew with Crystal Palace and only just beat QPR as they had a number of chances that we weathered, which in fact was deserved and well fought in the end. I didn't go to Preston but from what I have been told we played well and should have won.

So whats happened in a week? We have lost some key players through illness and injury and the ones that stepped in simply are not good enough at this level, but thats my opinion. OK, he rested Hartley but could he have been the key.

I would like to see if Trundle could turn a game with his holding the ball up in the middle, many of you disagree I know, but it's an option. He can ping a ball to toe and that, with Haynes and Maynard running through can turn a game in seconds. He may not have the pace, but he has the brain and the skill. We have players on the books and playing games like we did last night against lower league, was crying out for Trundle to have a run out. Whats he still doing here if he's not going to play. Let Swindon have him and get him off the wage bill and replace him. Otherwise, for christ sake use him.

Overall, last night was a disaster. Saturday....well I'm dreading it, I just hope we can keep the score down, but within a week, we've gone from looking a half decent outfit and possibly getting somewhere, to this. It has been on the wall, with the Palace game being the start, I just hope GJ and KM can do something.

MM

One positive for me was Ribiero and his performance. I thought he looked confident, got himself into trouble once and got the ball back and also put in one or two decent crosses, niot that there were many during the evening. Also Blackman, although he looked a tad nervous.

Negatives, well there are to many to put down, but one thing that really annoyed me was Sproule and Williams clashing when Sproule clearly had the run of the ball and Williams tried to take it off him. The two then stood and argued whilst Carlisle went on the attack. School boy stuff and shameful.

Also, we looked desperate when Boom Boom went up front and that told a story for our strength in depth, we really don't have one.

This result and Cardiffs has been on the wall and now action must be taken. Technically we should of drew with Crystal Palace and only just beat QPR as they had a number of chances that we weathered, which in fact was deserved and well fought in the end. I didn't go to Preston but from what I have been told we played well and should have won.

So whats happened in a week? We have lost some key players through illness and injury and the ones that stepped in simply are not good enough at this level, but thats my opinion. OK, he rested Hartley but could he have been the key.

I would like to see if Trundle could turn a game with his holding the ball up in the middle, many of you disagree I know, but it's an option. He can ping a ball to toe and that, with Haynes and Maynard running through can turn a game in seconds. He may not have the pace, but he has the brain and the skill. We have players on the books and playing games like we did last night against lower league, was crying out for Trundle to have a run out. Whats he still doing here if he's not going to play. Let Swindon have him and get him off the wage bill and replace him. Otherwise, for christ sake use him.

Overall, last night was a disaster. Saturday....well I'm dreading it, I just hope we can keep the score down, but within a week, we've gone from looking a half decent outfit and possibly getting somewhere, to this. It has been on the wall, with the Palace game being the start, I just hope GJ and KM can do something.

MM

Boro lost to Forest, a team that hadn't won this season, in the cup. Maybe they're not all they're cracked up to be ?

The only positive last night was no one got injured.

We've changed the squad for the better. How anyone can't see that is beyond me

Really? I think that the squad looks full of modest players, we have no wide options whatsoever, and without Maynard we have nobody who can unlock a defence. When Plan B is the useless Sproule and Plan C is to play a Lower Division quality centre-back up front, the squad has major problems!

I really thought this season would be the end of McCombe. Not only did GJ make him captain against Cardiff, he put him UPFRONT for over 20 mins last night. JOKE!! Gary JOKE!!

Now GJ will come out and say Injuries etc etc. But its rubbish. Even for whatever reason on earth Trundle was not used, fine. But any player in the squad would be better up front than that mess of a footballer. Yes he does cause trouble from set pieces, so bring him on at that back and stick him up for them!!

I don't want GJ to go but for the last 2 matches I think he's had a mental breakdown or something??

The only positive I saw last night was Andre Blackman, who done well for the few minutes he came on.

Seeing a 32yo grown man in the Williams stand close to tears shaking his head and getting down to leave 4 minutes before the end (when the stoppage time went up) turning to a steward saying, "if I'm not good enough for that I may as well retire", certainly got my goat up. The only person that seemed to give a damn last night and he can't get near the squad.

If we get hammered on Saturday, which on the last two performances is a distinct possibility then I fill this could have a snowball effect, which has a massive dent in morale and would only lead to more defeats than successes.

Saturday is a critical game and Johnson needs to pick the 18 players willing to die for the cause. None of this you're the best player, or his standard line up. Two seriously hard 11 vs 11 training games and you play the players that die for the cause, because those are the only players that want to put on the shirt. My worry is on the last two games, we might struggle to field 11 let alone 18.

'Seeing a 32yo grown man in the Williams stand close to tears shaking his head and getting down to leave 4 minutes before the end (when the stoppage time went up) turning to a steward saying, "if I'm not good enough for that I may as well retire", certainly got my goat up. The only person that seemed to give a damn last night and he can't get near the squad.'

If thats true, how sad... also wonder what effect this popular guys situation might have had on overall squad morale, it cant be fun to watch a teammate in that position for months on end (despite approx £10k compensation per week) ... Wish him all the luck in the world if his reported imminent return to Swansea goes ahead!

Postitive has to be the lack of traffic at the end - no waiting round to go, straight out!

Negative: Whilst I don't really want to single anyone out I thought Gavin Williams had a right mare last night. He seemed completely off the pace a number of times when Haynes tried to set him up and he didn't get there quick enough and his all round distribution was poor. Clarkson might not have set the world alight yet but his replacement won't even light the wick!

I am also concerned how bad things will be if there are a couple of injuries - the second string just aren't good enough!

Have to disagree about Ribiero, i didnt think he had a very good game at all. Ive watched him a few times and thought he is an excellent prospect, and still is might i add, but last night he failed to impress, looked very nervous, didnt seem to want to tackle and his lack of pace made him an easy man to play against at RWB. Doesnt mean to say he isnt a good player, just didnt think it was a positive. But to pick out one i thought Akinde did ok in the first half, made a few good flick ons and held up ball ok, second half didnt do alot, but to be fair who was he holding the ball up for?our midfielders making dangerous runs into the oppositions penalty area....onwards and upwards

RR

Have to disagree about Ribiero, i didnt think he had a very good game at all. Ive watched him a few times and thought he is an excellent prospect, and still is might i add, but last night he failed to impress, looked very nervous, didnt seem to want to tackle and his lack of pace made him an easy man to play against at RWB. Doesnt mean to say he isnt a good player, just didnt think it was a positive. But to pick out one i thought Akinde did ok in the first half, made a few good flick ons and held up ball ok, second half didnt do alot, but to be fair who was he holding the ball up for?our midfielders making dangerous runs into the oppositions penalty area....onwards and upwards

RR

i agree, hope that the people that slate Orr might have a change of heart now as he clearly isn't ready, maybe like Wilson a spell on loan in league one might do him good, think the most worrying aspect about the last 2 games is we have created NOTHING, even against a mid table league one team. Don't know whether it's the players or the formation.

As everyone else has said, there are not many positives to draw from last night, BUT during the second half a family who I think were the parents and siblings of Andre Blackman came into the Williams stand and, when he came on, the excitement and pride they showed was great to see. Warmed my heart a little after a woeful display on the pitch

As everyone else has said, there are not many positives to draw from last night, BUT during the second half a family who I think were the parents and siblings of Andre Blackman came into the Williams stand and, when he came on, the excitement and pride they showed was great to see. Warmed my heart a little after a woeful display on the pitch

Agreed, fair enough he didnt actually do much but he worked twice as hard in his twenty minutes than the rest of the team did all game!

I remember when he picked it up in our half get past a couple a players and looked for the outlet as was closed down and NOBODY worked to be an option for him making him looking silly.

Gerken was p!55ed off with the team all game and as was only 6,000 there could hear him and i was pleased with him, however as a keeper he cant affect the game as much as an outfield player.

Ribs worked hard and looked alright although a bit slow and a bit weak but that will come.

Blackman when he came on worked hard and thats all you can ask for.

The rest of the team were shocking, Louis seemed out of sorts. Fonts didnt looks up for it. Skuse was all over the place although being played as a centre back. McAllister looked a bit slow and was subbed at half time. Elliott looked an absolute shadow of the 2007/2008 season and was p!55 poor. Lee johnson had a bad game but wont get into that or will get abuse. Akinde looked like he didnt know what he was doing. Haynes did lots of running but wasnt given the ball often enough. Haynes could possibly be added to the list of good players yesterday. And williams kept giving the ball awaY! fair enough he tried to keep it moving but he passed it to them too much for a 'creative midfielder'

Plus points from the game? Blackman and ribiero looked promising. Gerken was alright and couldnt do anything about either goals. Apart from that, nothing else.

Whoever went yesterday deserves some sort of loyatly bonus for watching that sh!t.

Im confident GJ will sort it out and i still believe in him but im just very angry at that performance. Nowhere near good enough.

Yeah, they're very supportive! His family were at the Brentford game causing songs of "There's only one Mrs Blackman".

Its that attitude. is why I will always have a lot of time for Lee Trundle. We constanly hear the needs for loyalty passion, unity blah de blah, none of that was on display last night. Just an utter shambles!

Most worrying for me was the surrender of any attempt to try and play a passing game, where you would have thought the so called better technical ability of our players should make the difference. No we were just happy to punt the ball aimlessly up the pitch. The fact that the manager put McCoombe on the pitch up front, did nothing but encourage more of the same..... I couldn't believe it.

Prozone.....more like Prozac!

Archived