IGNORED

Signings To Drool Over

Nogbad the Bad

You can't help but be excited by the potential arrival of Evander Sno but would the excitement of his arrival be tempered if it means Marvin is exiting the club?

Not for me, Marvin's departure has been on the cards for a while, his erstwhile almost superhuman form has dipped, and if the reported 3.5m+ is really on the table then this is probably realistically as much as we can ever hope to get.

Rather he stayed but sometimes you have to know when the time is right to accept an offer for a player who may have reached his peak valuation for us.

If Marvin's staying then the Sno signing would be harder to understand unless we intend to play him higher up the field.

As for the strikers, again these are exciting and impressive names we're being linked with. Killen seems to have been ruled out - as for the others Anichebe's injury counts against him and Bednar would likely cost 1m plus, especially with 4 clubs supposedly competing for his signature.

This, as far as we know, leaves Saborio as the most likely, the only drawback being he is a largely unknown foreign player with no experience in England, and we've been left regretting a similar move recently with Styvar.

Still, I'd settle more than happily with Sno and Saborio ( or indeed Bednar, though I see Yessir's just ruled him out, things move quickly on deadline day :whistle: ) even if Marvin must be sacrificed, and if Marvin's fee meant we could also afford that elusive left winger (Taylor of Oldham?) then so much the better.

Fingers crossed there are no last minute complications and a couple of these deals, at least, come to fruition. :fingerscrossed::city:

id love to see Sno and Costa Rican in before day is out.

However i think the striker is the only essential of the two, unless like you rightly state we sell Marv.

if Marv goes then we def need both.

I also agree that it may be inevitable that Marv will eventually go, I just hope we do get a good fee for him like close to 4m, and if we do have Sno lined up to replace him it will certainly soften the blow.

I really dont think so. I think Marv is doing ok but not pulling up any trees and i bet he would be happy to keep his head down and be part of whats going on at city. Also Sno can play just about anywhere and Marv is, imo, better suited to joining up with the front men ( although he is a great ball winner and athlete) so I dont see why Sno's arrival would signal the end for Marv.

I really dont think so. I think Marv is doing ok but not pulling up any trees and i bet he would be happy to keep his head down and be part of whats going on at city. Also Sno can play just about anywhere and Marv is, imo, better suited to joining up with the front men ( although he is a great ball winner and athlete) so I dont see why Sno's arrival would signal the end for Marv.

Agreed, I would much prefer Marvin stays.

However as City are committed to paying Velicka's wages I'm just wondering if City can afford these mooted new signings, even on loan, without an influx of cash for one of our most saleable assets.

If his head is being turned, even slightly, by these rumours of Premier League interest - which simply won't go away - then the signing of Sno may be the ideal time to cash in, even if his sale is not funding it in the first place.

Sno and Saborio will at the very least add depth to the squad. Big Evander sounds like a versatile player and we know than Johnson likes those, and Saborio could well be a classy striker, of which you can never have too many.

I expect Marv to stay, but given the money that has been squandered on Styvar and the recent loan debacle (and some might add Lee Trundle to the list), Lansdown could, I suppose, feel that a big fee would balance the books nicely. The profit made on Elliott would be fantastic, but I don't think fans would see it that way!

I think because Marv isn't playing as well as the other season, a few prem teams have been put off. Wigan is the main link, and they need proven quality to run their midfield, and I think it was Fulham the other team, who have just signed Duff and Etuhu...

I have a sneaking suspicion that Marv will stay for a season or two yet.

From GJ's comments on Sno wanting to play a more attacking role I do not think this is a case of one in one out. I think Marvin is staying, we'd want a premium price and I can't see anyone willing to stump £4-5m for him.

i agree with that i cant see marv leaving either we dont need to sell him end of

You can't help but be excited by the potential arrival of Evander Sno but would the excitement of his arrival be tempered if it means Marvin is exiting the club?

Not for me, Marvin's departure has been on the cards for a while, his erstwhile almost superhuman form has dipped, and if the reported 3.5m+ is really on the table then this is probably realistically as much as we can ever hope to get.

Rather he stayed but sometimes you have to know when the time is right to accept an offer for a player who may have reached his peak valuation for us.

If Marvin's staying then the Sno signing would be harder to understand unless we intend to play him higher up the field.

As for the strikers, again these are exciting and impressive names we're being linked with. Killen seems to have been ruled out - as for the others Anichebe's injury counts against him and Bednar would likely cost 1m plus, especially with 4 clubs supposedly competing for his signature.

This, as far as we know, leaves Saborio as the most likely, the only drawback being he is a largely unknown foreign player with no experience in England, and we've been left regretting a similar move recently with Styvar.

Still, I'd settle more than happily with Sno and Saborio ( or indeed Bednar, though I see Yessir's just ruled him out, things move quickly on deadline day :whistle: ) even if Marvin must be sacrificed, and if Marvin's fee meant we could also afford that elusive left winger (Taylor of Oldham?) then so much the better.

Fingers crossed there are no last minute complications and a couple of these deals, at least, come to fruition. :fingerscrossed::city:

I really think after the success of the last match, Johnson will be tempted to play with two defensive midfielders and give Hartley a much freer role.

We saw during the Cardiff game that Hartley was not quick enough or young enough to keep up with some of the Cardiff attackers pushing through the middle, and I think that Johnson realises if we're to play a three-man defence we need two defensive midfielders to cover them. It gives the wingbacks much more freedom to push forward and means Elliott/Skuse/Sno (or whoever else) are required to cover the gaps as well as supporting the attacks occasionally.

Chelsea played a similar way under Mourinho, when they had a four-man defence, but no wingers and required Cole to push forward down the left. Rather than leaving a hole, Makele or Essien would fill in.

I think if we are to play that way Johnson's seen we need three options there, especially as Elliott is quite injury-prone, and Skuse is invariably needed to cover other positions, such as right centreback recently.

These signings also mean he's more than likely going to persevere with the 3-5-2 formation, as the only options we have for the wings are Ivan Sproule, Brian Wilson, Andre Blackman and Tristan Plummer - and only one of these is a proper winger.

Also, I hope the signing of the striker doesn't mean the end of Haynes and Maynard's partnership, as I think it was developing really well. I hope the big guy is simply kept as one of Johnson's clubs and used occasionally as an alternative measure. We know many of our defenders resort to it too often when they see a big man up front.

Definitely exciting signings though. When I told someone at work about them, they thought someone was having me on...

Archived