IGNORED

This Forum Is So Fickle

B-Rizzle

Ashton Yate was right about the academy and took a hell of a lot of stick at the time over it. Especially when he made post after post after post after post stating his case on the subject. :winner_third_h4h:

Yes he did take a bashing but his timing wasn't great (from my point of view) I think he started on the academy just before we sold Leroy and then when he just got going again on it we sold Cotterill so next time he starts again I expect Skuse to be on his way out. It has made us allot of money, just not as much as it has cost at the moment. It does underpin the club and hopefully one day turn a profit but that requires continued investment, as long as Big Steve L can see a future and doesn't see the Academy as hindering the club then I am sure he will persist with it but its not a saleable asset so we can only make money out of the players that go through it which at the moment seems to be few and far between.

If AY did start long before Leroy was sold then my apologies, that's pretty much as far as I go back on here.

Yes he did take a bashing but his timing wasn't great (from my point of view) I think he started on the academy just before we sold Leroy and then when he just got going again on it we sold Cotterill so next time he starts again I expect Skuse to be on his way out. It has made us allot of money, just not as much as it has cost at the moment. It does underpin the club and hopefully one day turn a profit but that requires continued investment, as long as Big Steve L can see a future and doesn't see the Academy as hindering the club then I am sure he will persist with it but its not a saleable asset so we can only make money out of the players that go through it which at the moment seems to be few and far between.

If AY did start long before Leroy was sold then my apologies, that's pretty much as far as I go back on here.

Nowadays, the club may have to spend a certain amount on the academy as an FA prerequisite for being a Championship club but I'm not sure. The way forward for this club was to put the scouting network first and that's why we now have players of the calibre of Paul Hartley and Evander Sno. Gerkin looks a hell of a prospect - but he's not from our academy system. :whistle2:

Archived