IGNORED

Pete Johnson

Henry

It was so long I can't remember everything he said, but some things that stuck in my mind:

- Clarkson is a good footballer who can play in a number of positions and will show his ability in time

- Gerken is a solid keeper, we have 3 of the best in the Championship. Good for him to get off to a good start.

- Nyatanga has been admired for a while, hoping to have a "Welsh back 4" in the future (joking maybe but bodes well for Riberio and Wilson)

- Saborio was really keen to come to Bristol, looks "a million pound player", been looked at for a while but couldn't afford the transfer (3-4m euros).

- Looked at Sinclair but were never able to get him.

- Blackman was spotted having a very good game against Sinclair, very exciting prospect indeed.

- Never really looked at Lita because he doesn't want to come

- Disappointed about Velicka but Saborio is an improvement anyway

- Styvar didn't work out but everything was professionally dealt with i.e. he was honest about not settling and the club treated him fairly.

- Got a list of 15 players to be looking at for the future. 4 from abroad, 4 foreigners based here and the remainder domestic. These are being looked at in case they are needed more than anything else - "if we don't score a goal between now and January we'll definitely sign someone!"

That's about all I can remember but I'm sure there was more.

Its on the main site now, an epic 22 mins long, can someone go watch it, and come back and tell us what it says :)

He went through all the incoming players one by one - all good lads, right character etc

He spotted Blackman when he went to see Scott Sinclair and Andre got the better of SS pace wise - every time, so he watched again x 5 and was impressed, he said he could go all the way.

Hartley was the leader they wanted - on and off the pitch

When Velicka got injured SL agreed to fund a move for an even better player - Saborio - rather than go for a "second best" player on the list. PJ watched Saborio way back but FC Sion wanted 4 million euros & as a club it was too much money.

He implied that we wern't actually looking for any more players but the offer of Sno was too good to turn down.

We tried to get Anderson/Barnsley - but he/they wanted too much money (used the word greedy)

tried to get Lee Martin too but the player chose Roy Keane/Ipswich

again we nearly got Kenny Cooper but the player opted for Munich 1860.

We were very interested in Scott Sincair - but he obviously wanted and got a premier move.

We watched Lita - were interested - but Lita was not in the slightest interested in joining us so we never talked to him.

Said he has a list now of 15 players - 11 play in Britain (of which 4 are foreign nationals) and 4 play abroad. He's keeping tabs on all of them in case we need an emergency loan or we need to strengthen again in January, but he implied that if we stay injury free and the new guys settle in then we probably have a good enough squad for the season

CR

What were the reasons?

Very good summary aswell, well to all 3 that have summarised it, thanks for taking the time to write it on here.

All Pete said was that he thought he was technically very good but couldn't reach the physical strength and fitness levels that Gary demands and that it was a good bit of business all round because the club made money.

Was just about to ask that myself...i thought GJ had said previously something along the lines of he wasnt quite the player they thought he was?? Something like that.

He said Carle was - and still is - a good footballer but couldn't reach the fitness levels that "Gary and Keith demand", and it was probably better that he moved on to "a different type of team". Admitted it was a mistake but club delighted with the offer they got (from Colin).

Cynic

I thought the same as you regarding Sno - he made a throwaway comment along the lines of " we'll put that one down to Gary" and gave a little smile. His body language indicated (to me) that he probably wouldn't have been on PJ's "list".

CR

Was just about to ask that myself...i thought GJ had said previously something along the lines of he wasnt quite the player they thought he was?? Something like that.

he was the top earner and did'nt do enough to justify being the top earner and was not worth his wages.

Thanks for the summarys guys. I would like to see some of PJs scouting reports, I wonder how they do it? In the old days one of my old computer games rated players out of 99, do you reckon PJ comes up with something similar - giving players ratings out of 10, for passing, pace, finishing, heading, tackling, experience etc, then writing a report on them based on that? Also, I wonder how "high" they bother reporting - for example, he wouldnt be sent to watch Real Madrid V Barcelona, but might watch a Bundesliga or french league game. I am guessing he has contacts all over the world who are paid a "finders fee" to provide names such as Meteb or Soborio who we wouldnt normally see play. Obviously he can then discuss with Gary what positions we are looking for, and what kind of player we are after - ie a target man rather than nippy striker.

He must have quite a nice job as long as his Mrs doesnt mind watching games, and in my opinion, is miles in credit with some of the bargains we have unearthed over the years, so he can come up with the odd Styvar, but we know he is still on the right lines.

Si.

As others have summarised - he said that Carle is a good footballer but they thought he couldn't attain the high levels of fitness required here and that he'd be better off in a different sort of team (not sure what that means). Good bit of business for the club as well.

I would assume that means that, as a personality, he didn't quite fit in with the other people at the club.....

Mr McIndoe and others may agree.

Confirms yet again what a lucky club we are having SL!

Shame about Cooper, hey ho.

It is a shame about Cooper, but I'd imagine the chance to play at the Allianz arena and live the good life in Munich would be too tempting for most foreign based players.

He said Carle was - and still is - a good footballer but couldn't reach the fitness levels that "Gary and Keith demand", and it was probably better that he moved on to "a different type of team". Admitted it was a mistake but club delighted with the offer they got (from Colin).

Cool, cheers for that. Even more satisfying that we got a wedge from the man with the tan and Colin for a player that was deemed not good enough for us.

Cool, cheers for that. Even more satisfying that we got a wedge from the man with the tan and Colin for a player that was deemed not good enough for us.

Err, what wedge?!? As far as I know, they still haven't paid us all of it, yet!

Apparently, Tango Man didn't have complimentary drinks when he came to Ashton Gate - he had to buy his own...

Err, what wedge?!? As far as I know, they still haven't paid us all of it, yet!

Apparently, Tango Man didn't have complimentary drinks when he came to Ashton Gate - he had to buy his own...

Yeh apparently there is still a matter of a cool .25 of a million left to pay. Glad ot hear Jordan isnt getting any kind of hospitality, and im sure SL, CS and co will be expecting exactly the same at Selhurst!

''No real deal with Lita - he didn't want to come here''

Now hopefully people will start listening to me when I keep telling them he won't come here. He actually hates us as a club!!! HATES US.

P.s, I've heard some interesting things about Evander already. Was told that he's a level above.. Really looking forward to seeing this kid again.

Well seeing as we look as though we are going to break even(if he settles/performs in Greece) - personally- I ain't too worried about the Styvar transfer(however strange it was in hindsight)

Keep dreaming...there's no way we will break even on that transfer. At the end of the day it was a poor choice and we can't afford to keep making mistakes like that.

''No real deal with Lita - he didn't want to come here''

Now hopefully people will start listening to me when I keep telling them he won't come here. He actually hates us as a club!!! HATES US.

P.s, I've heard some interesting things about Evander already. Was told that he's a level above.. Really looking forward to seeing this kid again.

Hates the club that coached him into becomming a proper footballer, hates the club that paid him for years, hates the club that gave him his chance in league football.

Well it just goes to show what most people say about him is true, he's a grade A cock.

Hates the club that coached him into becomming a proper footballer, hates the club that paid him for years, hates the club that gave him his chance in league football.

Well it just goes to show what most people say about him is true, he's a grade A cock.

well said that man

Archived