IGNORED

Lansdown Interview On Player

City Ben

Richard Latham summarised the interview in the Sunday Independent yesterday. He also suggested Steve said if we didn't get the gates we needed/a decent cup run/promotion then we would have to look to sell players. Though it doesn't seem to occur to Steve that gates might be down because of the recession you can understand his points. While I can see the sense of going for it in order to get Prem money in it's hard to see how we could make the most of promotion until we have the new ground. If we were to go up we would certainly need to stay there until the ground is built to maximise income. :fingerscrossed:

Richard Latham summarised the interview in the Sunday Independent yesterday. He also suggested Steve said if we didn't get the gates we needed/a decent cup run/promotion then we would have to look to sell players. Though it doesn't seem to occur to Steve that gates might be down because of the recession you can understand his points. While I can see the sense of going for it in order to get Prem money in it's hard to see how we could make the most of promotion until we have the new ground. If we were to go up we would certainly need to stay there until the ground is built to maximise income. :fingerscrossed:

I think he may be more interested in the SKY money, the FA money and the parachute payments should be come back down...

He does acknowledge that the recession is one reason they are down. But I guess he thinks that some of those who haven't renewed, decided against renewing for reasons other than the recession.

I think he may be more interested in the SKY money, the FA money and the parachute payments should be come back down...

True. Clubs like Portsmouth Fulham etc have managed to last a fair few yaers in the Premier league without having huge capacitys and extensive coparate facilitys. Obviously in an ideal world before we reach the Prem the stadium would be built, but AG would be sufficient if we went up IMO.

I thought he sounded quite downbeat on the interview- probably so he can try and encourage those who are staying away to come. It does seem as though the lower gates are causing a significant problem with paying the wages/bills etc.

Just hope we can stay in and around the top 6 to get the crowds in with some decent football.

I haven't see the interview, but when Steve says we're walking a fine line it is worrying, and I suspect that it is wage demands, rather than transfer fees, that prevent us from competing for the 'name' signings that some people feel we should be making.

Yes, that's completely his point. In fact, he even says something along the lines of "Fans think that not paying out transfer fees means we're not spending money... well, we jolly well are spending money". I'd imagine that there have been significant signing on fees for players such as Hartley and the two loanees.

Sure a lot of people have lost their jobs but its more that society in general is taking a more conservative approach to spending money. I am probably a good example. In previous seasons I would think nothing of putting a ticket on a credit card and dealing with concequences when the bill arrived.

Now I wont use a credit card and try to live within my means a bit better. When me and Mrs GRM go, it costs £50.00 - which makes a real dent in the money we have to spend on food shopping, general bills etc. If I went to 2 home games in a month thats £100. Its difficult to justify that sort of money for watching a game of football. We would rather stick our money into a holiday in the summer (Thats the decision that we face)

If it was £10 each to watch then I think I could justify it.

Richard Latham summarised the interview in the Sunday Independent yesterday. He also suggested Steve said if we didn't get the gates we needed/a decent cup run/promotion then we would have to look to sell players. Though it doesn't seem to occur to Steve that gates might be down because of the recession you can understand his points.

Not 100% sure I'd agree with Latham's summary in that case. I didn't hear it as "we will have to sell players", suggesting that some of our more sellable assets (Maynard, Elliot, Fontaine) would be on the way out, more like some peripheral squad players would move on. He listed out the younger players that we've loaned out as a good way that we've been trying to balance the books, but I couldn't help thinking that their combined wage is probably not as much as Basso's on his own.

And as Riaz (I think!) says, he does of course acknowledge the recession. I think his view was that there is so much positive stuff happening that this might have kept more people at the Gate regardless.

Sure a lot of people have lost their jobs but its more that society in general is taking a more conservative approach to spending money. I am probably a good example. In previous seasons I would think nothing of putting a ticket on a credit card and dealing with concequences when the bill arrived.

Now I wont use a credit card and try to live within my means a bit better. When me and Mrs GRM go, it costs £50.00 - which makes a real dent in the money we have to spend on food shopping, general bills etc. If I went to 2 home games in a month thats £100. Its difficult to justify that sort of money for watching a game of football. We would rather stick our money into a holiday in the summer (Thats the decision that we face)

If it was £10 each to watch then I think I could justify it.

Im with you on this one. Money is pretty tight as it is, i really cant justify spending that sort of money watching a game of football when i have comitments at home that is a more worthy cause. Dont get me wrong, i would love to go to every home game as i think that spending an afternoon cheering on the boys at the gate and listening to the fans comments on the radio on the way home is brilliant and i would love to take my kids to experience it. If it were cheaper believe me i would!

.....what and came through our academy or bought cheap......nope thought not, we shelled out massive money for them, so not a cost cutting exercise as pointed out by Lansdowne!

like groundhog day here, if they are not good enough they shouldnt play! prefer us to have myrie-williams, burnell, woodman & amankwaah playing but in league one??

The reason gates are down is more to do with the level of Apathy in this part of the football world, until this is overcome we will always be a bit of a back water, in other parts for the country such as the North West, North East you will find people who will spend their last penny watching their respective teams, that's the difference for me.

However I believe that with a continued level of success (say in and around the play offs each year), our average gates will continue to rise, this will take time though, also the new stadium will see a jump in attendances.

.....what and came through our academy or bought cheap......nope thought not, we shelled out massive money for them, so not a cost cutting exercise as pointed out by Lansdowne!

We have ribeiro, skuse, wilson, plummer, jackson, walker, artus

When you consider that we were in league one when we picked these lads up, the fact they are championship players now, shows the academy is doing something.

Us becoming a championship club, from league one, was always going to make it harder for the academy lads to make it.

Now we are a championship club - we can attract better youngsters, but we wont see these players for 5-6 years AT LEAST

The way we judge our academy now - should be what the quality would have done in league one - we would have had at least 7 championship players, which would have been brilliant if we were in league one. of course we're not, so these youngster need a little longer.

Not 100% sure I'd agree with Latham's summary in that case. I didn't hear it as "we will have to sell players", suggesting that some of our more sellable assets (Maynard, Elliot, Fontaine) would be on the way out, more like some peripheral squad players would move on. He listed out the younger players that we've loaned out as a good way that we've been trying to balance the books, but I couldn't help thinking that their combined wage is probably not as much as Basso's on his own.

And as Riaz (I think!) says, he does of course acknowledge the recession. I think his view was that there is so much positive stuff happening that this might have kept more people at the Gate regardless.

Thanks for clarifying. As I say I read Latham's article but have not heard the interview. I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Johnson and Williams going on loan and we could do with getting Basso off the wage bill in the short term if not permanently. If Ribeiro is third choice right back it would make sense for him to go on loan also. The majority of those on here who don't go to matches seem to cite lack of money as the reason, though that is not a representative sample of course. There may be others who could afford to go but choose not to because they are cutting expenditure in these uncertain times.

This is obviously a sensible comment to make, but perhaps a little odd, given GJ's reluctance to field the decent 'younger' players we have at the club!

At the last but one open day Steve made it pretty clear the Academy would have to start producing more players of Championship standard. Years stuck in the third tier have not helped and it could take as long to get to the required level. So far it seems Gary does not think even the best of our young players (who are not kids any more) are not good enough, including the much lauded but seldom played Ribeiro and Wilson (third choice right back and sixth choice centre back respectively).

He does acknowledge that the recession is one reason they are down. But I guess he thinks that some of those who haven't renewed, decided against renewing for reasons other than the recession.

Think most of it was all the draws we had at home last season and all the leads we let slip which make people think do i really want to spend all that money to watch that again?

Hopefully now theyve seen the start weve made (forgetting Cardiff and Carlisle) and better football being played thell come back, well think thats what SL is hopeing for anyway

We have ribeiro, skuse, wilson, plummer, jackson, walker, artus

When you consider that we were in league one when we picked these lads up, the fact they are championship players now, shows the academy is doing something.

Us becoming a championship club, from league one, was always going to make it harder for the academy lads to make it.

Now we are a championship club - we can attract better youngsters, but we wont see these players for 5-6 years AT LEAST

The way we judge our academy now - should be what the quality would have done in league one - we would have had at least 7 championship players, which would have been brilliant if we were in league one. of course we're not, so these youngster need a little longer.

Riaz we have always had the pick of kids in a wide area - apart from Lloyd James who is still at a league 1 club, I can't think of anyone within an hours drive who we missed.

One 18 year old is now at Bolton after having been at City until he was 14, but that was his choice.

Some of the age groups have been outstanding - until they get to 16-18 when it all tails off.

That tells me that the club needs to look at the coaching at that age group.

The reason gates are down is more to do with the level of Apathy in this part of the football world, until this is overcome we will always be a bit of a back water, in other parts for the country such as the North West, North East you will find people who will spend their last penny watching their respective teams, that's the difference for me.

Chicken and egg mate - if the 'fanatics' in the North East and North West had to put up with the same level of shite as us over the past 29 years then I very much doubt they'd be spending their last pennies.

As for the North West in particular - all I can say to that is Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan - ever been to a Prem game and seen their away support?

Burnley and Preston had better seasons that us last term,and a greater history but smaller gates.

Then the club should get their arses in gear and contact those that haven't renewed to find out why. We could theorise about it forever. But I'm still surprised that the club never contacted me to find out why I hadn't renewed.

Even if they ask for blunt replies, such as "I bought it before the play-off final as I thought I might see Premier League football".

Guest ashtonyate

Mix messages again Steve, building a new ground and can't afford the players to go into it you pay the money so you have the right.

It dosen't sound that positive to the fans if you want to make the new ground profitable you need the players to infuse the fan's interest.

Have just listened to his interview on Player. Very good interview, and he talks with sometimes surprising candidness.

Somewhat concerning to hear him talk about our wages now reaching a “danger zone” in relation to turnover. I’ve expressed a thought before that we were on the verge of significantly overspending in this respect and it looks like we’re really there now.

He talks further about needing to achieve success in the league and through cup runs (appears livid about the Carlisle game) in order to maintain the current squad. This I find very worrying... clearly living beyond our means. SL later intimates that he’s happy to keep funding us which I think we all owe him huge plaudits for, but he does make the point that “it’s not my club, it’s OUR club” and makes a plea for people who are yet to get to the Gate to get off their a55es and get to some games.

I imagine that there’s been a very deliberate decision to go for promotion even if that means spending money we don’t really have. To the extent that SL can fund this, great. I think that the new stadium becomes increasingly important however, as that is the longer term cure to the financial ills of the business. He also talks about the financial importance of improving the scouting network for younger players so as to avoid paying inflated transfer fees for more proven talent.

I guess the underlying message that I heard was that at present we’re punching above our weight a bit, and walking a tight financial line. I think it's useful for us all to remember that bigger picture.

Good post I've just got two points to make, I too think its a great job we have Lansdown funding the club but just because I don't actually know, does he use his own money to fund aspects like wages and transfer fees etc or is there a loan system to the club or does he input money into the clubs account at periodic intervals etc etc and my second point I think it is vitally important that we improve the scouting network especially in the Bristol and Bath area. Young talent should always be nutured (think thats how you spell it) in the home city and surrounding area.

Archived