IGNORED

Back The Bid On Facebook

Percy Parrot

Not sure if anyone noticed http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Bristo...il/article.html

but there is a Facebook group to back Bristol's 2018 World Cup bid.

It's actually really important that as a bid city we can show HUGE public support for the bid. I seriously think everyone on here should sign up to the group to add their support and also invite all their mates to join.

Bristol is doing really really well with only three towns ahead on the Facebook pages but Derby and Sunderland are well ahead and it's so important that Bristol can catch and beat them.

The group includes some pretty cool videos and photos that I've not seen elsewhere and some updates on the bid. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=95912219510

So please find the group "Bring the World Cup 2018 to Bristol!" and join it ASAP. No doubt at all that the FA's bid team will be keeping an eye on this.

Guest AJ Sylvester
Seriously, facebook? I hope the bid team has more up their sleave than this.

Seriously, I hope you have better things to do with your time than just dismiss it.

Yes the Bristol bid team will be working their socks off on all areas coming up to the visit.

Yes the England team will look at a number of factors.

Yes one of those factors will be "grass-roots" support.

Yes one of those will include Facebook and Twitter. Not my favourite things in the world but people use them including the England bid team and they follow them (check the Twitter thing out - you can see them talking to Bristol bid publicly)

Seriously, I hope you have better things to do with your time than just dismiss it.

Yes the Bristol bid team will be working their socks off on all areas coming up to the visit.

Yes one of those will include Facebook and Twitter. Not my favourite things in the world but people use them including the England bid team and they follow them (check the Twitter thing out - you can see them talking to Bristol bid publicly)

no he doesn't :laugh:.

Guest AJ Sylvester
It doesn't look good for England's bid if crap like this has any effect on which cities are chosen.

Rough guess - you have no experience of PR or Comms.

Is public support for the world's biggest sporting event important? Clearly yes.

Is Facebook now an accepted platform/channel? Clearly yes [if you have any knowledge of the industry you'll know this].

Of course other stuff is important but is the PR side important? Well clearly yes otherwise all the bid cities wouldn't be promoting it and Twittering about it would they? Or do you know more about this than every single bid city team? Hmm...at a guess they think it's important and it is.

Anyrisk of some substance in that twaddle? I see lots of yes's based on supistition.

Facebook group to decide world cup host locations, laughable.

Rough guess - you have no experience of PR or Comms.

and yours is? Because if you think they're doing a good job of getting people onside I hardly see a wave of support across Bristol.

Is public support for the world's biggest sporting event important? Clearly yes.

I'm sure the 1994 world cup proves that wrong.

Is Facebook now an accepted platform/channel? Clearly yes [if you have any knowledge of the industry you'll know this]. Yet simple yet more effective means seem to pass the Bristol bid team by.]

Of course other stuff is important but is the PR side important? Well clearly yes otherwise all the bid cities wouldn't be promoting it and Twittering about it would they? Or do you know more about this than every single bid city team? Hmm...at a guess they think it's important and it is.

we're not on about the importance of pr, more the laughable that a facebook group will have any bearing on matters.

Anyrisk of some substance in that twaddle? I see lots of yes's based on supistition.

Facebook group to decide world cup host locations, laughable.

I can assure you that Facebook is now considered a very valuable marketing and brand management tool. Zero overhead and potential reach of these campaigns is millions.

Just look at some of the biggest groups on Facebook, they have millions of members. The fact that you can send messages to everyone in the group, regardless of whether or not they want to see it, is just one benefit of advertising in this manner.

Bear in mind the Cadbury's Wispa was bought back because of a campaign which started on...wait for it...Facebook.

You may dismiss it, but there are now over 250 million users on Facebook, with 120 million people logging on at least once a day.

I have something like 300 friends on Facebook. If I were to join a group, I could do so, and invite all 300 odd friends, and each one of them could invite, say, 100 different people. Of course they won't all be interested, but if they were, that would be over 30,000 people exposed to the group, all within a matter of minutes.

You can't get that volume of exposure anywhere else, and certainly not for free.

The existence of the facebook group isn't going to make any difference to the bid, even if it gets 100,000 members. Although if you get the right people in FIFA/ FA to join that might help!

But it is what the group is used for that might help make a difference. If it is used to organise and alert people to events they can attend, or things they can do to genuinely make a difference to the bid, then as suggested by some above it is indeed a powerful marketing tool.

Archived