IGNORED

Why Did Gary Not Play 3-5-2 Today?

Royston Red

I am surprised that - considering that we played well against Middlesborough last time at home with 3-5-2 - we didnt play this way today?

Clearly, the team put alot of training in to play like this pre-season. However, against Swansea and today a 4-3-3 , 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 was used (not clear to me what it was meant to be). I think this was also used against Cardiff (where we were badly beaten). Whatever the formation, it didnt have any width.

The players were available to play 3-5-2 despite the illness (Skuse or Nyatanga could have played in defence), so why didnt we stick with it?

I understand that our fullbacks are not experienced wing backs; but the results and performances playing 3-5-2 suggested that they were doing a reasonable job.

I also dont understand why Clarkson wasnt given at least 20 minutes today - he is never going to get match fit unless he is on the pitch. He must be over his illness by now.

Even teams playing in the Premier League tend to stick with one formation and use it as much as possible. This is understandable as, unless all your players are as versatile as Sno, they will not respond well to constantly changing roles on the pitch throughout the season.

Archived