IGNORED

Radio Bristol Post Match Phone In

megansdad

20p seemed determined to lead any City fan that called into commenting on a lack of width - sadly they did - despite it being clear with the side we put out that Johnson was looking for us to create space by passing the ball, which we did, and to look to slide balls through rather than necessarily to get to the byline. Orr though did, typically with great effort for our goal, while McAllister also had time and space on a number of occasions. Not disappointed today by the performance, especially as none of us know the extent of ill-health within the squad.

Glad I won't be listening to the drivel again for a while - though Rob, of the blue few, from Southmead, clearly not the sharpest tool in the box, was classic. Didn't go to the game, didn't listen to it even, but felt compelled to call beacuse his girlfriend (??seems a stretch) had told him they were 3-0 up at half time- such insight. Glad I don't pay the licence fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely if you pass the ball around and move the opposition around so that you can get the ball into WIDE AREAS you stretch teams a lot more and create more chances? We tried to play slide rule killer balls down the congested middle for the most part and Joe Murphy had a very comfortable afternoon for the most part. BUT when we did get the ball out wide we caused panic and created the goal. Too often it was LJ who received the ball out wide and slowed the game down and went backwards simply because winger is not his position.

20p seemed determined to lead any City fan that called into commenting on a lack of width - sadly they did - despite it being clear with the side we put out that Johnson was looking for us to create space by passing the ball, which we did, and to look to slide balls through rather than necessarily to get to the byline. Orr though did, typically with great effort for our goal, while McAllister also had time and space on a number of occasions. Not disappointed today by the performance, especially as none of us know the extent of ill-health within the squad.

Glad I won't be listening to the drivel again for a while - though Rob, of the blue few, from Southmead, clearly not the sharpest tool in the box, was classic. Didn't go to the game, didn't listen to it even, but felt compelled to call beacuse his girlfriend (??seems a stretch) had told him they were 3-0 up at half time- such insight. Glad I don't pay the licence fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a similar call on last night's phone-in when some Gas Head went off on a tangent trying to remember what year it was the they blew promotion and then the play-offs under Holloway. Remembering things like "in what season?" is clearly not one of GT's strenghts, but instead of saying something like "that's a question for another time, next caller please" they rambled on for about 4 minutes like 2 drunks just before closing time. Not good Radio! :disapointed2se: I didn't stay tuned in long enough to hear if anyone phoned in with the answer (obviously 99/2000 as we were celebrating whilst watching Preston in the last game of that season). Some of the other callers are so cringeworthy that there should be some kind of quality control - someone like Mike from Stockwood should be banned for constant drivel-spouting.

When you do actually get someone on their giving a measured and reasonably intelligent view on whatever team or game, it can be quite good listening, but surely there must be a way of banning persistent offenders!

Agreed totally about 'Rob from Southmead'. For those Blackadder 3 fans, his (and his girlfriends) 'long winter evenings must just fly by'. What a phuk wit.

Do's anyone really take any notice of what is on radio Bristol?....Twentyman talksback used to be funny in the way crossroads used to be funny years ago ie moving scenery,missing lines etc etc..its now embarrassing......now on a saturday who wants to listen to a string of texts messages from totterdown red or Eastville gas etc its just pathetic,I notice various other presenters move on but twentypence stays....I wonder why??????

Do's anyone really take any notice of what is on radio Bristol?....Twentyman talksback used to be funny in the way crossroads used to be funny years ago ie moving scenery,missing lines etc etc..its now embarrassing......now on a saturday who wants to listen to a string of texts messages from totterdown red or Eastville gas etc its just pathetic,I notice various other presenters move on but twentypence stays....I wonder why??????

Probably because Bristols a very nice city, he gets a reasonable wage, and he's being paid for being involved in the sport he loves!

Probably because Bristols a very nice city, he gets a reasonable wage, and he's being paid for being involved in the sport he loves!

I am sure your right...but why should we pay through the license fee?Its time he moved out and moved on and let other potential talent emerge and not be stiffled by twentymans dire presence.......and please no more texts!!!!!!!!

Surely if you pass the ball around and move the opposition around so that you can get the ball into WIDE AREAS you stretch teams a lot more and create more chances? We tried to play slide rule killer balls down the congested middle for the most part and Joe Murphy had a very comfortable afternoon for the most part. BUT when we did get the ball out wide we caused panic and created the goal. Too often it was LJ who received the ball out wide and slowed the game down and went backwards simply because winger is not his position.

Have to agree with Greebo, when we did get the ball wide it was with LJ and with the best will in the world he is not a winger, so he passed the ball back and we lost momentum.

don't disagree that lj is not winger but he was all over the place and helped create space, which orr ultimately exploited to help set up our goal. Remember it was an excellent build up that saw Orr pull the ball back when it seemed he had overrun it. I thought we looked a good team - areas to improve but ceratinly not awful as some on here seem to think. Patience has been rewarded over the past few seasons and patience this season will again be rewarded. I am more optimistic after Saturday than before.

I thought we looked a good team - areas to improve but ceratinly not awful as some on here seem to think. Patience has been rewarded over the past few seasons and patience this season will again be rewarded. I am more optimistic after Saturday than before.

I completely agree.

The football this years is streets ahead of what we were watching last season.

As for the Radio Bristol post match phone in? Don't get me started. It's mainly done, I expect because it's cheap and easy. But it is absolute drivel. Unfortunately it is interspersed with some of the stuff you actually want to hear, like round ups of the other local sport, post match interviews etc.

Megansdad, you've made a well constructed argument in response to City fans (me included) that spoke to Geoff Twentyman about our lack of width.

But if you were so incensed, why didn't you call Geoff to respond?

Thanks was indeed heading up the M4 to catch a flight back to Singapore- wasn't laughing though....................

Like you I was heading towards the M4, loathing every tedious text from 'inbred Gas' and chums while waiting for the post match interview with GJ. If we want to improve the show the answer is for members of this forum to make the effort to call Twentyman - he knows the texts are crap but has no other material to work with.

- he knows the texts are crap but has no other material to work with.

Well they should invest in putting more proper sports reporting in - back in the '70s my brother in law used to phone in reports from rowing events he had been at, the sports coverage is hardly wide, when did you last hear any cycling, motorsport, athletics? All events which occur regularly in our region or where local sportsmen take part in events further afield. I happen to know that a forum member is taking part in an international motorsport event next weekend - will there be any coverage? Will there bu**ery.

If they can't put more proper sports reporting in, make the programme shorter and spare us the drivel.

Well they should invest in putting more proper sports reporting in - back in the '70s my brother in law used to phone in reports from rowing events he had been at, the sports coverage is hardly wide, when did you last hear any cycling, motorsport, athletics? All events which occur regularly in our region or where local sportsmen take part in events further afield. I happen to know that a forum member is taking part in an international motorsport event next weekend - will there be any coverage? Will there bu**ery.

If they can't put more proper sports reporting in, make the programme shorter and spare us the drivel.

It is a on the whole a football orientated prog, most people couldn't give a flying f##k about cycling or athletics,drop the text crap mainly from those who can't be assed to go or state the bloody obvious. I think the show is too long and padded out 6 pm finish should cover most of what needs to be said,get a managers view ,overall match report summing up,all the scores nationwide few reports job done .

Like you I was heading towards the M4, loathing every tedious text from 'inbred Gas' and chums while waiting for the post match interview with GJ. If we want to improve the show the answer is for members of this forum to make the effort to call Twentyman - he knows the texts are crap but has no other material to work with.

Not true. He fills the show with texts because he has no broadcasting talent.

I agree.

Twentyman calls himself a DJ? That is a joke! Every week I text in a requuest, and not once has he played my tune. On Saturday, I asked for a little bit of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, with a simple dedication to my hamster Nudger, and did he play it, did he hell.

His broadcasting license should be withdrawn forthwith. Farce.

I completely agree.

The football this years is streets ahead of what we were watching last season.

As for the Radio Bristol post match phone in? Don't get me started. It's mainly done, I expect because it's cheap and easy. But it is absolute drivel. Unfortunately it is interspersed with some of the stuff you actually want to hear, like round ups of the other local sport, post match interviews etc.

Well- I like BBC Bristol !

I listen to the Twentyman talk-back shows to hear those Bristolian accents .

Not true. He fills the show with texts because he has no broadcasting talent.

Exceptionally harsh, in my view.

He always handles the "Kevin and Tracey from Whorefield" calls with great tact. Never patronising (whilst the rest of us are shouting at the radio to shut them up).

He even manages to get through the "Callum, aged 8" calls without swearing at them.

A great professional I'd say.

Exceptionally harsh, in my view.

He always handles the "Kevin and Tracey from Whorefield" calls with great tact. Never patronising (whilst the rest of us are shouting at the radio to shut them up).

He even manages to get through the "Callum, aged 8" calls without swearing at them.

A great professional I'd say.

Harsh? So he can handle all callers with tact...he wouldnt be hosting phone ins for very long if he couldnt.

He reads out all these texts only to fill time.......otherwise he would be chatting more to guests, stimulating debate/themes and moving the show forward....much like the network hosts.....Green, Baker, Saggers, Durham etc....they dont feel the need to read out 'up the x from y' three hundred times in an hour to fill time.

An average broadcaster who is operating at the right level

Archived