IGNORED

Don Masson

redrebel

Did anyone else see Don Masson's best and worst section in the Sunday Times.He was midfielder for Scotland, Notts County and QPR.He is asked who is the best opponent you have played against , bearing in mind he played in the World Cup and European Championship and he names Gerry Gow of Bristol City.Gow told him "I have been told to man mark you and I sm going to kick you all day".He finally says that he dreaded palying against Gow.Those were the days Gerry Gow what a player he was.

Did anyone else see Don Masson's best and worst section in the Sunday Times.He was midfielder for Scotland, Notts County and QPR.He is asked who is the best opponent you have played against , bearing in mind he played in the World Cup and European Championship and he names Gerry Gow of Bristol City.Gow told him "I have been told to man mark you and I sm going to kick you all day".He finally says that he dreaded palying against Gow.Those were the days Gerry Gow what a player he was.

Fair shout Don Masson, because I'd have dreaded playing against Gerry Gow as well. I remember the hate in Norman Hunter's and Gerry Gow's eyes when they'd be launching themselves into tackles for the BCFC cause - great stuff - those were the days. :winner_third_h4h:

Today I was sat on my mower a task I once viewed as a pleasure and now view as a chore, However I thought about this post and the time just flew by just thinking about my fond memories of this real BCFC legend and my all time BCFC hero. Mr Masson I salute you on your choice.

Don't get me wrong I was privileged enough to see Big John Atyeo on many occasions and with all of his achievements he will always be the 'King of the Gate', But Gerry will forever be the 'Prince' of the Gate and that is apt because I read on another post some time ago recalling Gerrys battles with the gashead Frankie Prince, in actual fact they were'nt battles they were massacres, Why because you were more likely to be kicked by Frankie from behind, Not Gerry he would do it face to face every time.

I remember seeing him as a feisty teenager in the successful youth team of that era and thinking this kid is the real deal, As he progressed into the first team he just got better and better, He could tackle (my god he could tackle), he could pass, he had a good football brain and scored a good amount of goals from midfield.

if any team mates were kicked during a game, You knew Gerry would take retribution sooner or later, in our days in the first division he stood up to the hardest (like Billy Bremner) I even remember in one game in the 70's in the old 2nd division when Bobby Gould unfortunately played for us, Gould made the mistake of arguing with Gerry and Gerry stuck one on him, i'm not condoning this but as the recipient was Bobby Gould I think anyone would condone it.

The best compliment I could ever pay Gerry is even when City were crap, He usually still had a good game and always gave his 'all' for City and anyone he ever played for. in these days where players seem to get 'legend' status after playing for only 1 season before moving or for a player who had a few party tricks but never achieved a thing at this club a la a certain Polish hero, Gerry was a real and fitting legend and would always be my first choice in my all time BCFC team.

Amen

if any team mates were kicked during a game, You knew Gerry would take retribution sooner or later, in our days in the first division he stood up to the hardest (like Billy Bremner) I even remember in one game in the 70's in the old 2nd division when Bobby Gould unfortunately played for us, Gould made the mistake of arguing with Gerry and Gerry stuck one on him, i'm not condoning this but as the recipient was Bobby Gould I think anyone would condone it.

To be fair to Bobby Gould, he scored about 15 goals in 35 appearances for us and we sold him on for a profit. OK, he blotted his BCFC copybook by playing for then managing The Gas but he did do well for us.

I have so many memories of Gerrry Gow, although remembered so well for his tough tackling qualities it is often forgotten what a good footballer he was.His reading of the game was outstanding with a brilliant knack of being in the right spot at the right time.A very good passer of the ball he also had the great knack of chipping in with goals.

A couple of situations forever embedded in the old mind cells include one at Cardiff,Tom Ritchie was getting kicked up all over the place by Don Murray the mammoth number 5, Gerry much younger showed no respect for this older senior pro.and launched into him with a full blooded challenge. Murray fumed at this much smaller upstart,I'm sure my lip reading skills were spot-on with Gerry's response " if you can't take it then don't dish it out".

Another vivid recollection is the battle with none other than Graham Souness,when in his early days with Middlesbrough,he literally was pleading for protection from the referee, Gerry Gow simply was never ever intimidated with the stature of any player and this was illustrated right from the start of his career and of course evident in those early clashes with the mighty Leeds perhaps the most intimidating team in English soccer history.

Again though not to diminish his footballing talent I do remember an accolade from no less than Bobby Robson who at the time was managing a very stylish Ipswich outfit. Talking of his hard working and prolific goal scoring Scottish midfielder John Wark he also heaped praise on Gerry Gow and acknowledged Gerry was mightily valuable to City and deserving of full international recognition.That those comments were from Bobby Robson adds credence to Gow's overall ability.

To be fair to Bobby Gould, he scored about 15 goals in 35 appearances for us and we sold him on for a profit. OK, he blotted his BCFC copybook by playing for then managing The Gas but he did do well for us.

Yes his scoring record was very good, however he never liked us and never enjoyed his time with us and did nothing to hide that fact from the word go, arrogant, ignorant, egotist, take your pick, I for one was really glad to see the back of him and amazed we actually made a profit.

I remember Don Masson well & watching those clashes with QPR in the 70's, and GG was I would think a thorn in every oppo's side at that time

I recall an interview with Emlyn Hughes who told he tale of coming to AG as capt of the Scousers in 76 or 77

They had just won the league title the game before and the next game was FA Cup final (I think) with BCFC Away sandwiched between them.

Well as you can imagine, most Scouse players thoughts were on geting into the side for the Final on the coming Saturday so when Hughes found himself coming forward with the ball on a breakway and heard the roar from the terrace as Gow chased him down from behind you can guess that he imagined the worst was about to happen

So fearing injury from a typical and well known Gow challenge from behind (always HARD but mostly fair & allowed in those days of course) he shouted "I'm not going to score...I'm not going to score" and promptly hit a 30 yarder over the cow shed (thats East end to you young'uns) and into the car park beyond

A fine example of how Gerry's reputation could tackle as hard and as well as his legs could!

I remember Don Masson well & watching those clashes with QPR in the 70's, and GG was I would think a thorn in every oppo's side at that time

I recall an interview with Emlyn Hughes who told he tale of coming to AG as capt of the Scousers in 76 or 77

They had just won the league title the game before and the next game was FA Cup final (I think) with BCFC Away sandwiched between them.

Well as you can imagine, most Scouse players thoughts were on geting into the side for the Final on the coming Saturday so when Hughes found himself coming forward with the ball on a breakway and heard the roar from the terrace as Gow chased him down from behind you can guess that he imagined the worst was about to happen

So fearing injury from a typical and well known Gow challenge from behind (always HARD but mostly fair & allowed in those days of course) he shouted "I'm not going to score...I'm not going to score" and promptly hit a 30 yarder over the cow shed (thats East end to you young'uns) and into the car park beyond

A fine example of how Gerry's reputation could tackle as hard and as well as his legs could!

Good old Emlyn Hughes, another blast from the past. I last saw Emlyn Hughes looking a smiling picture of health at Hereford Races about 8 years ago where I'm pretty sure he owned a horse that was racing that day. A few years later he passed away.

That must have been Chris Garland's match when he scored the goals that beat Liverpool & helped keep us up.

The best compliment I could ever pay Gerry is even when City were crap, He usually still had a good game and always gave his 'all' for City and anyone he ever played for. in these days where players seem to get 'legend' status after playing for only 1 season before moving or for a player who had a few party tricks but never achieved a thing at this club a la a certain Polish hero, Gerry was a real and fitting legend and would always be my first choice in my all time BCFC team.

Amen

Absolutely, the only way someone should ever be considered to be an all time great is if they've played for many years for the club, not one season of ball juggling with no end product...

Atyeo of course but well before my time, Gow, Ritchie, Merrick, Newman, Tinnion and Louis Carey- these are all time greats.

That must have been Chris Garland's match when he scored the goals that beat Liverpool & helped keep us up.

I remember the lead-up to that match. On Radio Five, or whatever the sports programme was called then, there was an interview with Bob Paisley, then Liverpool manager, who was quite dismissive about little ol' City. He said something along the lines of "Oh we'll be looking to win that one right enough!". Showed 'em though, then onward to Coventry and survival.

I remember the lead-up to that match. On Radio Five, or whatever the sports programme was called then, there was an interview with Bob Paisley, then Liverpool manager, who was quite dismissive about little ol' City. He said something along the lines of "Oh we'll be looking to win that one right enough!". Showed 'em though, then onward to Coventry and survival.

Certainly did.

I remember being crammed in among the 38000, fantastic experience. Not quite the same now there's no terracing.

I also remember Gerrys song was 'he's here he's there he's every ******* where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow' and one year the old bill decided to crack down on offensive language and started to eject people when this song was sung.

The words were changed to 'he's here he's there in fact he's everywhere, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow' and the 'in fact he's everywhere' bit was sung in a very posh way to add to the irony.

I also remember Gerrys song was 'he's here he's there he's every ******* where, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow' and one year the old bill decided to crack down on offensive language and started to eject people when this song was sung.

The words were changed to 'he's here he's there in fact he's everywhere, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow' and the 'in fact he's everywhere' bit was sung in a very posh way to add to the irony.

Alan Dicks himself appealed to our supporters in a matchday programme to tone down the foul language so the Gerry Gow chant became:

"He's here, he's there

We're not allowed to swear

Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow"

Archived