IGNORED

Bradley Deserves Better

Who Shot JR?

I'll lay my stall out straight away - I think Orr is one of, if not the best right backs in the CCC. I think he works relentlessly hard for the team and the starting eleven looks far more solid and proficient when his name is on the team sheet (IMO etc etc).

However, listening to the Radio Bristol on the way back from the game yesterday made my blood curdle. "Bradley Orr can't pass the ball..", "Bradley Orr isn't a gifted wing back..." and on and on they went. WTF - Orr is a solid, hard working player who is an integral part of the team. Agreed, some of his crossing wasn't up to scratch yesterday but he didn't deserve the claptrap he was getting on the radio.

One thing I did notice is that the link up play between him and Sno was excellent at times. Already they seem to have established a rapport. This can only be a good thing.

Rant over; as you were.

I'll lay my stall out straight away - I think Orr is one of, if not the best right backs in the CCC. I think he works relentlessly hard for the team and the starting eleven looks far more solid and proficient when his name is on the team sheet (IMO etc etc).

However, listening to the Radio Bristol on the way back from the game yesterday made my blood curdle. "Bradley Orr can't pass the ball..", "Bradley Orr isn't a gifted wing back..." and on and on they went. WTF - Orr is a solid, hard working player who is an integral part of the team. Agreed, some of his crossing wasn't up to scratch yesterday but he didn't deserve the claptrap he was getting on the radio.

One thing I did notice is that the link up play between him and Sno was excellent at times. Already they seem to have established a rapport. This can only be a good thing.

Rant over; as you were.

I haven't read of anyone criticising Bradley Orr on this forum. :noexpression: I don't listen to Radio Bristol.

Rant over; as you were.

As a right back in a 4-4-2 formation, Bradley Orr is more than an adequate right back at this level and is a good player for the side. The problem has arisen with Orr because when we play in a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 the full backs/wing backs have a duty to get forward and produce decent crosses, as they essentially provide the width, and Orr is not very good at doing this. He has not got the attributes (crossing, passing, dribbling etc) to have a positive effect as a wing back, and he is therefore not good enough to start if we are to play wing backs, unless he makes a drastic improvement in the next few weeks.

The critiscism he gets is never for work rate or effort, we all know and appreciate how much he brings to the team with his hard work, but this is not enough to justify his place as a wing back, he simply isn't good enough going forward.

Guest ashtonyate

I think Orr is OK and when he was having trouble with his contract and not playing showed what a valuable member of the defence he was we became very vulnerable without him.

Guest AJ Sylvester

I wouldn't criticise Orr as such because he's given a great deal to this football club over the years. And he is a very solid defender. Yes the occassional mistake but he is very very rarely out of position and I can hardly remember a winger getting in behind him.

BUT his distribution is an issue. Firstly it puts pressure on the defence because too often the ball comes back. Secondly in the 3-5-2(ish) system we've been trying to play he doesn't offer enough going forward. It's not to say it's awful but I'm being picky and the same goes for McAllister who is a very similar player.

I admit I'm looking for faults a bit but let's just be picky and look for weaknesses in our starting XI. Now when fully fit I see the starting XI as being Gerken, Orr, McAllister, Carey, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Hartley, Elliott, Sno, Maynard, Haynes/Saborio. So just to be picky I'm going to try to put them into a "best player" list - it's very difficult especially having seen so little of 5 of them but here goes:

1. Sno

2. Elliott

3. Hartley

4. Fontaine

5. Maynard

6. Carey

7. Gerken

8. Nyatanga

9. Haynes/Saborio [just haven't seen enough of either to make any real opinion so this is really stab in the dark]

10. Orr

11. McAllister

Having done the above I feel harsh at putting Orr and McAllister so low. I think both do their defensive job exceptionally well and would be very hard to replace. I also feel very bad about putting Carey at 6th because he's more important than that - maybe our most important player. So while he may not be as good as Sno, Elliott and Hartley he leads brilliantly as is hard to replace.

But the point is if I was GJ I'd be looking at weaknesses in the current system. To progress you have to look at areas you can strengthen. Well the midfield three I wouldn't look to change for sure. You probably have £7m of talent in Marv and Sno while Hartley looks quality.

Fontaine and Maynard are definitely top Championship players. Carey I have discussed and Gerken and Nyatanga have done nothing wrong so far. Saborio has done well and Haynes was looking good before illness.

I know it's hard and it's very crude because the team is very close in ability (no huge stars and no major problems either) but the best XI I would argue that our full/wing-backs are probably slight weaknesses. For all that I can't see Johnson looking to replace them. If we have money in Jan/next summer the first priority would be to buy Sno and Saborio or players of similar ability in those positions [sno for example I can't see sticking around unless we went up and even then would cost huge amounts - but if he does go then we need to get some real quality in there]. If that could be done then the next task would be more depth especially at centre-back, central midfield and up front.

Guest bigcheese

Gerken, Orr, McAllister, Carey, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Hartley, Elliott, Sno, Maynard, Haynes/Saborio.

Shouldn't mind seeing this team play together although as you point out someone is gonna have to be sub :-)

My only criticism of Orr (beyond just kicking the ball out randomly for a corner last season!) is that he likes to get forward a bit and must remember to get back but he puts in a good shift.. :winner_third_h4h:

Personally I agree that Bradley is the best right back in the Championship. He organises, has good positional sense, gets up and down the wing well and often provides a reliable outlet when other less talented football wise defenders (Jamie McCoombe you know who you are). Also remembering where he has been in his personal life, he should be well respected as others who formed part of that "issue" with a similar amount of talent have disappeared never to be heard of again?

I would also say that in Carey's absence Brad would make a better skipper as he always gives 100% and appears to be well respected by the rest of the team.

Let us not forget the season before last he was chosen in the PFA Championship team of the season and you dont get many better judges than your fellow players.

SUPER BRAD :englandsmile4wf:

Personally I agree that Bradley is the best right back in the Championship. He organises, has good positional sense, gets up and down the wing well and often provides a reliable outlet when other less talented football wise defenders (Jamie McCoombe you know who you are). Also remembering where he has been in his personal life, he should be well respected as others who formed part of that "issue" with a similar amount of talent have disappeared never to be heard of again?

I would also say that in Carey's absence Brad would make a better skipper as he always gives 100% and appears to be well respected by the rest of the team.

Let us not forget the season before last he was chosen in the PFA Championship team of the season and you dont get many better judges than your fellow players.

SUPER BRAD :englandsmile4wf:

Agree totally and he chased that loss cause on Saturday that gave us the chance of the goal. We have seen that Wilson and Riberio are not up to the standard of Orr at the current time.

I also agree that if anyone should be captain it should be Orr currently.

I like Orr but to say he is the best right back in the ccc is overstating it a bit. He solid, high work rate, a good defender but going forward he is not the best, too many poor balls for me. Saying that he wears his heart on his sleeve and I was very happy when he signed a new contract.

If Bradley could cross the ball he would be playing in the Premier League. His positional sense as a defender is Premier League standard make no mistake about that. You ask Carey or McCombe and I would guarantee that they would trust Orr with their life to cover in behind them when they have been dragged too far inside. He did that fantastically on Saturday and, notwithstanding the linesmans flag anyway, saved a certain goalscoring position when McCombe was dragged inside. He is always switched on and knows his defensive job inside out. As a defender he is as solid as they come at our level - his only problem is he is playing for a manager who has left himself in a position where he has no decent wide players (although I'd like to think Haynes will plug one gap when he is fit again) and is now asking his full backs to play like wingers.

Agree totally and he chased that loss cause on Saturday that gave us the chance of the goal. We have seen that Wilson and Riberio are not up to the standard of Orr at the current time.

I also agree that if anyone should be captain it should be Orr currently.

Hope you're reading this GJ!

Has to be said, I am instilled with more confidence when Orr is in the team than when he's absent.

For me he's top notch defensively. He has the knack of nicking the ball off opponents without going to ground, always a sign of a good defender for me. His value becomes obvious whenever he is out of the team.

Spot on, especially when Wilson plays there, maybe its just me but i dont see what Johnson saw in him to renew his contract , but hey you never know he may prove me wrong

Archived