IGNORED

Sol Campbell Leaves Notts County

bernie from barrow gurney

title says it all really

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nty/8270272.stm

ok he's 40k a week, so perhaps not. do you think he would take a pay cut to keep playing?

Well he went to League 2 on £40,000 a week - so for him to come to the Championship he will want at least £40,000 - probably more!!

My bet is that he will end up somewhere like Stoke, Hull, Bolton, Fulham or maybe even Everton.

I doubt he will go anywhere other than the Premier League because there is no club stupid (or rich enough) to afford those kind of wages in the Championship or Leagues 1 and 2 (other than Notts County - and that hasnt worked out very well has it!!!)

To be perfectly honest, I think that Sol Campbell has had his day - he is just looking for an easy pay off for his last couple of years as a footballer. The effort just wont be there wherever he ends up, and for that reason (as they say on Dragons Den).... Im out!

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that he's not that greedy at all - if he is then why is he not just staying put at County?

There was clearly another reason and it wouldn't surprise me if he's had enough with football full stop and has decided to retire.

On a vaguely related note, Ben Davies of Notts seems to think they're in with a shout of signing Roberto Carlos according to a column he writes.

Probably a load of rubbish but i'd sooner have Carlos than Campbell - that'd give us more width!!

He could do a job in the prem still. We would have no chance of getting him in.

He just looks a bit gullible having been taken in by all the Notts County flannel, and then finding out what the reality is on the pitch. Fourth division pub football.

This Notts County stuff looks as though it could be about to implode through the takeover being blocked; this will leave Sven high and dry. Which would be nice.

on the highlights of the only game he played for notts co, he looked totally lost!

Yes. But at Prem level everything relies on the players around you, how good they are and how they make one look good. For example, Beckham isnt setting the world alight over here yet he got rave reviews in Italy.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that he's not that greedy at all - if he is then why is he not just staying put at County?

There was clearly another reason and it wouldn't surprise me if he's had enough with football full stop and has decided to retire.

If he'd had enough with football he'd have stayed at Notts County!

I have to laugh!! If it was announced on the OS tomorrow that City signed Sol Campbell, I doubt there would be many on here that would complain!

A fit Sol Campbell would walk into our defence, even at 35!

He certainly would'nt be running!!

Guest AJ Sylvester
I have to laugh!! If it was announced on the OS tomorrow that City signed Sol Campbell, I doubt there would be many on here that would complain!

A fit Sol Campbell would walk into our defence, even at 35!

I really really don't think he would. He was really bad last season in a very poor Portsmouth side. He's not a Premier League player any more and I do like the guy.

£40k per week aside he's not better than what we have and on the highlights he did look totally and utterly lost against, err...Morecambe!

I really really don't think he would. He was really bad last season in a very poor Portsmouth side. He's not a Premier League player any more and I do like the guy.

£40k per week aside he's not better than what we have and on the highlights he did look totally and utterly lost against, err...Morecambe!

Let's not forget he was short of match practice/fitness, regardless of who he was playing against. Sol Campbell has been an awesome professional for many years 77 caps for his country, won FA Cups, League cups and Premier League titles! Just because the guy has a below par season with relegation threatened side, doesn't make him a bad player.

He could still cut quite easily in the Championship should he regain fitness. You don't believe we have better, we find it hard to see games out, and have found it hard over the past season to defend for the full 90 odd minutes.

I'm not saying I want us to go get him, but if we did I wouldn't complain.

Archived