IGNORED

Christian Ribiero

Super Scotty Murray

I for one am very surprised and disappointed that Christian Ribiero has not played in more first team games this season. He clearly has lots of ability and is thought of very highly by the club but has hardly played at all.

In my opinion whilst I believe Bradley Orr is a good player, we should be giving Ribiero a chance to start games at full back, especially at home where Bradleys poor crossing is really starting to be a problem when we play 4-3-3 and the full backs are often being relied upon to get forward a lot.

Also, if we were to play 3-5-2 Christian would be excellent as a 3rd centre back as he has shown with his excellent performances for Wales U21's in that position.

I feel that if I have one complaint about Gary, it is the fact that he doesn't give young players enough experience when they are coming through the academy so that we end up loaning them out or selling them on when they are 19/20 because they havn't had the opportunity to play any first team football.

In my opinion, a player like Cole Skuse would not be as effective as a first team member if he had not been blooded into the first team at an early age by Tinnion and has learn't from experience how to be the player he is now.

Last season, when we were clearly finishing mid table, this was a great opportunity to give some of the youngsters this experience and we didn't. With Lansdown already worrying about our spiralling wage bills I would really like to ask Gary why we don't give players like Ribiero more of a chance?

I am interested in peoples thoughts on this and whether anyone feels that our young players are just not good enough to warrant more first team football. I for one have not watched much of the youth/reserve team so I would also be interested to know if there are any other good young players that people feel we havn't given a proper chance to prove themselves (e.g. Artus, Plummer, Wilson). Your thoughts?

I for one am very surprised and disappointed that Christian Ribiero has not played in more first team games this season. He clearly has lots of ability and is thought of very highly by the club but has hardly played at all.

In my opinion whilst I believe Bradley Orr is a good player, we should be giving Ribiero a chance to start games at full back, especially at home where Bradleys poor crossing is really starting to be a problem when we play 4-3-3 and the full backs are often being relied upon to get forward a lot.

Are you serious? Bradley has been solid all season, his crossing needs to improve yes, but at the back he has been in good form. Again, Why change whats not broken? Ribs will have to force his way into the side at the moment in my opinion.

Also, if we were to play 3-5-2 Christian would be excellent as a 3rd centre back as he has shown with his excellent performances for Wales U21's in that position.

At the moment Carey/Fontaine/Lewin/Mccombe are ahead

I feel that if I have one complaint about Gary, it is the fact that he doesn't give young players enough experience when they are coming through the academy so that we end up loaning them out or selling them on when they are 19/20 because they havn't had the opportunity to play any first team football.

We have one of the youngest squads in the championship

In my opinion, a player like Cole Skuse would not be as effective as a first team member if he had not been blooded into the first team at an early age by Tinnion and has learn't from experience how to be the player he is now.

Im a huge fan of skuse and think he is a good first team player

Last season, when we were clearly finishing mid table, this was a great opportunity to give some of the youngsters this experience and we didn't. With Lansdown already worrying about our spiralling wage bills I would really like to ask Gary why we don't give players like Ribiero more of a chance?

Ribs was injured last season, but James Wilson made a break into the first team. As for players like Artus/Plummer they simply are not good enough at the minute to make it. Akinde is young and he has a good few games under his belt.

I am interested in peoples thoughts on this and whether anyone feels that our young players are just not good enough to warrant more first team football. I for one have not watched much of the youth/reserve team so I would also be interested to know if there are any other good young players that people feel we havn't given a proper chance to prove themselves (e.g. Artus, Plummer, Wilson). Your thoughts?

Personally i think that Ribs and Wilson are close to becoming regular squad players, I think thats a far as it goes at the moment

I'd play him at centre half ahead of McCombe.

I'd rather have a young lad making mistakes and learning from them than an older* one making them and not improving.

*Actually McCombe isn't that old himself, but I honestly don't believe he's got much scope for further improvement.

I think some people seriously underestimate Brad's ability.

I agree and I have to admit, I used to be one of those people. In the last few seasons he has proven himself to be one of the most solid right backs outside the Premier League.

In response to your reply Benerz I would like to say the following:

Bradley Orrs ability

I agree that at this current moment bradley is the best defensive option at full back but I am thinking of the future. If we want to be a premier league club in the near future we need to play players like Ribs who could potentially be good enough to play at that level. Bradley is an absolute legend and always gives 100% but there are lots of areas of his game that are simply not good enough if we are to seriously challenge for promotion playing this 4-3-3 formation. I am not advocating that we should drop Bradley, just that we should give Ribs the odd start here and there when Brad needs a rest. Also, forget Bradley, when he was injured we played Wilson ahead of Ribiero which I find ridiculous personally!

Centre Backs

I agree that Lewis, Fonts & Nyatanga are ahead of him at the moment but I personally believe that I have the similar sentiments with Jamie McCombe as I do with Bradley. He has been a great player for us in getting us to where we are but Jamie McCombe is simply not good enough against the best championship strikers if we are to seriously look to finish in the top 6. Ribs, if played often, has the class to be potentially be able to play at a higher level from what I have seen.

Young Championship squad

I again agree that the squad is young but that is not because we have given acadamey players a chance, it is because we have bought young players!

Ability of young players

What I am trying to say here is that by not giving young players a chance to play first team football how are they ever going to learn?! If we seriously only have 2 players from the whole academy (Ribs, Wilson) who are good enough, that is a bit of a waste of money spent on the academy! To be honest I think you are probably right that these are the only two, which is quite worrying really!

In response to your reply Benerz I would like to say the following:

Bradley Orrs ability

I agree that at this current moment bradley is the best defensive option at full back but I am thinking of the future. If we want to be a premier league club in the near future we need to play players like Ribs who could potentially be good enough to play at that level. Bradley is an absolute legend and always gives 100% but there are lots of areas of his game that are simply not good enough if we are to seriously challenge for promotion playing this 4-3-3 formation. I am not advocating that we should drop Bradley, just that we should give Ribs the odd start here and there when Brad needs a rest. Also, forget Bradley, when he was injured we played Wilson ahead of Ribiero which I find ridiculous personally!

I Understand the thinking for the future and agree ribs has very good potential, But i think Bradleys defensive side is very good. His passion and motivational skills on the pitch are also a highlight. For me he does need to improve on his crossing abit but he does his job very comfortably. I would have ribs on the bench and as an option to bring him on if need be but he would have to force his way in. The time may come when Brads gets a suspension or injury.

Centre Backs

I agree that Lewis, Fonts & Nyatanga are ahead of him at the moment but I personally believe that I have the similar sentiments with Jamie McCombe as I do with Bradley. He has been a great player for us in getting us to where we are but Jamie McCombe is simply not good enough against the best championship strikers if we are to seriously look to finish in the top 6. Ribs, if played often, has the class to be potentially be able to play at a higher level from what I have seen.

I completely agree, McCombe looks very uncomfortable on the ball and the tendency to pump it up field far to often for my liking. My Johnson sees him as a good player as he can deal with the Ariel threat, which is very good. Again for me he would have to force his way into the team but at the moment lies down in 5th choice maybe even 6th if you include skuse standing in at the back

Young Championship squad

I again agree that the squad is young but that is not because we have given acadamey players a chance, it is because we have bought young players!

We have bought these players, but can you name someone who is good enough to be given his chance? As my previous post stated, only Ribs and J Wilson are anywhere near close.

Ability of young players

What I am trying to say here is that by not giving young players a chance to play first team football how are they ever going to learn?! If we seriously only have 2 players from the whole academy (Ribs, Wilson) who are good enough, that is a bit of a waste of money spent on the academy! To be honest I think you are probably right that these are the only two, which is quite worrying really!

Well the players that have been promoted from the academy to the squad are Artus, Plummer, Wilson, Ribs... 2 out of 4 pushing is good. Marlon Jackson has had a loan spell to. But in all honestly, can you see Artus forcing his way past an already hard midfield to get into? I mean Elliot,Sno,Hartley,Johnson,Williams,Skuse,Sproule i mean it leaves him very far back, and teh same said for plummer.

It's simple really if GJ and KM think a youngster is ready and they are better than the one's in situ they will play, obviously that isn't the case as they are not playing . Wales U'21s is far cry from the championship so why not trust the managers and coaches judgement it aint been that bad so far, remember they see these young men every day.

At Championship level you are simply not going to find anyone in our price bracket who comes anywhere near Bradley Orr's defensive ability. He is so under-rated by so many on here it is untrue and there are countless times he gets his centre-half, whether it be Carey or McCombe, out of trouble because he has a fantastic positional awareness in relation to his defensive responsibilities.

Ribiero looks like a decent player going forward but defensively he is so far behind Orr that a prolonged run in the team would seriously weaken us defensively in my view. Orr is as solid as they come and if I was looking to get rid of players then he would be way down the list.

I want to see us play more attacking football but you still have to have defenders who can DEFEND PROPERLY in your side - otherwise relegation battle here you come.

It's simple really if GJ and KM think a youngster is ready and they are better than the one's in situ they will play, obviously that isn't the case as they are not playing . Wales U'21s is far cry from the championship so why not trust the managers and coaches judgement it aint been that bad so far, remember they see these young men every day.

Agreed - the other point to make here is that other teams use cup competitions - particularly the league cup - to give youngsters the chance to get first team experience.

We did that against Carlisle - a game in which Ribeiro featured - and produced our worst performance of the season. That not only cost the club money but clearly showed that the players outside of the team at present are not as good as those currently in the first team.

Well_red

Whilst I do think Orr is first choice full back, Ribs should be 1st reserve at full back and also should be being considered for centre back too. I would be disappointed if he didn't get 10 starts this seasons, like the OP says, he needs football to be blooded and with his ability and pedigree I am frustrated that Wilson played when Orr was out - where was the value in that, Wilson wasn't even fit.

Is Ribeiro a right back or left back. right footed or left?? im a bit confused. I clearly havent seen much of him as he hasn't played first team games but on FM09 he was a left back or centre half...

anyone able to fill me in who's seen him play for the reserves or wales u-21's? Also what type of defender is he, can you compare him to anyone?

... there are countless times he gets his centre-half, whether it be Carey or McCombe, out of trouble because he has a fantastic positional awareness in relation to his defensive responsibilities...

He certainly didn't do that for McCombe's first booking at Derby. Watch it on the highlights, it was very poor positioning from Brad, almost like he lost concentration or was ball watching.

BUT, I want nobody else but Brad at right back with his aerial ability being very underrated also I feel. I agree Ribs will be great but he didn't cover himself in glory against Carlisle and I think Brad will get even better the longer he has Sno in front of him because Brad is actually quite skilful and clever and I could see them striking up an excellent partnership. Albeit most of us want Sno central.

He certainly didn't do that for McCombe's first booking at Derby. Watch it on the highlights, it was very poor positioning from Brad, almost like he lost concentration or was ball watching.

BUT, I want nobody else but Brad at right back with his aerial ability being very underrated also I feel. I agree Ribs will be great but he didn't cover himself in glory against Carlisle and I think Brad will get even better the longer he has Sno in front of him because Brad is actually quite skilful and clever and I could see them striking up an excellent partnership. Albeit most of us want Sno central.

He doesn't get caught out very often. The best person to ask would be Louis Carey - he'll tell you whether Orr is a quality right back or not.

Two things about Bradley which have been a problem for seasons now

1) He cannot cross a ball! How can a professional footballer not cross a ball? It's appalling!

2) He always gets beaten by pace. Partly because he doesn't anticipate the tackle quickly enough which would then nullify the pace. Look at Carey. His foot is always in quickly before the striker even has a chance to think about going past him.

Richard Keogh was like Carey in that respect and his delivery and pace was better than Orr's. Sadly, he went off the rails.

I for one would say that Bradley, acclaimed though he is, is for these reasons one of the weaker players in our first team now. There are plenty that would be on my team sheet before him

Two things about Bradley which have been a problem for seasons now

1) He cannot cross a ball! How can a professional footballer not cross a ball? It's appalling!

2) He always gets beaten by pace. Partly because he doesn't anticipate the tackle quickly enough which would then nullify the pace. Look at Carey. His foot is always in quickly before the striker even has a chance to think about going past him.

Richard Keogh was like Carey in that respect and his delivery and pace was better than Orr's. Sadly, he went off the rails.

I for one would say that Bradley, acclaimed though he is, is for these reasons one of the weaker players in our first team now. There are plenty that would be on my team sheet before him

Reluctantly, I have to agree with much of what you say. A lot of Bradley's shortcomings are forgiven because he plays with his heart on his sleeve. He's also moved on from his problems off the pitch (well versed), grown up and become a Dad. He gives his all for the shirt and is not bereft of talent, but......(see above).

Not sure however about "plenty" of options. Brian Wilson is a good squad player (well above average League One player) but I wonder when Ribs will be given an opportunity. Even a Cardiff supporter at work raved about his Wales U21 perfomances. Now he's been called up to full international level and he's still not getting a proper look in in BCFC's first team. We have truly reached new heights in terms of strength in depth. I'm sure (hope) Ribs will get his chance soon.

He's too close to the team to be loaned out but isn't ahead of Bradley Orr on merit.

His injury sucked because then was the ideal time to let him go out as he perhaps wasn't as close to the team as he is now. He seems like the nicest guy in the world but his career is stalling IMO.

For once a plausible rumour from football-rumours.com, given that Wilson is ahead of Ribeiro when he is fit:

Cheltenham town to sign Chriatian Riberio from Bristol city on a three month loan deal to cover for the injury to Duff

Also, btw:

I was at the Brentford v Southend game on tuesday night and was listening to a number of premiere league scouts who had all turned up to watch James Wilson who is on loan at Brentfrod from Bristol looks to me like there will be a bit of a bidding war for the highly rated defeender in January clubs there where Mun U Arsenal Everton and Celtic

I'd rather see Wilson at Right Back. Much more pace and a better delvery. Not sure that his defensive qualities are any less than Bradley's.

Would agree that Ribiero should also be hitting first team appearances this season

He needs to start playing 1st team football in order to gain the necessary experience. Obviously the club does not have the confidence in his ability to play at this level at this time. He is clearly 3rd choice at right back behinf Brad and Brian. So unless he is allowed to go out on loan, his only competive footbal comes from International duty. Ironically, the Welsh set up seem to have confidence in him marking top strikers who play in Seria A, but we don't.

Whilst always appearing professional and optimistic he must be totally frustrated by the fact that he never actually gets any time on the pitch other than in pre match warm ups. I agree that his carreer is in serious danger of stalling if in fact that has not already happened. Very disappointing for the player and a wasted opportunity for the club.

Archived