IGNORED

Fontaine Or Diet Tango...?

Steve Watts

I was just reading Louis' blog and it got me wondering who, out of these two fairly similar styled defenders, I would pick for the starting XI if I had to choose only one.

For me, Louis is an automatic selection, as backed up by his performance in midweek, and personally I would like to see all three of them in a 3-5-2, but at the moment, GJ is going with 4-4-2, meaning there's only space for one.

Both of them are very cool and composed on the ball - a Rio Ferdinand style of defender (though clearly not at his level), and I've no idea who I'd choose... I would possibly be tempted to go with Fonts due to his knowledge of the players around him, but.... :dunno:

Anyone else got any views on this?

tough call isnt it

I would also like to see all 3 accomodated in a back 3 (also leaving injury/rotation opportunities for ribs/j.wilson to get a game)

but i would agree that if its gottaa be just two it should be louis and fonts.

Harsh on nyatanga as he has done nothing wrong, but i wont forget how well fonts played for us last season anytime soon, and im a firm believer in having a a defensive unit with experience of playing together (like arsenal did in the 1-0 days)

Orr, Carey, Fonts, McCallister have been our first choice back 4 for years now and not done much wrong, i would lok to keep that the same and look to improve through our better midfield players and strikers this season

It seems to me that Nyatanga is much more physically dominating that Fontaine.

He's physically stronger.

He's better in the air.

Whereas Fontaine seems to read the game much better.

His distribution is better.

Probably due to his experience of playing in this side - he seems to complement Carey much better.

It seems to me that it all depends who we're up against.

For todays purposes, i'd play Nyatanga.

The key here for me is we have real competition for places in this part of the pitch now which is great news, and it bodes well for the future. Carey is no spring chicken now and has had injury problems. That said, he really earned his money on Tuesday where I thought he was great. A couple of times in the last 15 mins he was the most forward player, trying to get the rest of the team out of City's half!

Great place to be in my opinion

Lewis with Fontaine of Nyatanga, id be happy with either and the sooner we`re in a position to choose from them the better. I`m sorry, as much as i respect the guy, Boom Boom is way out of his depth and scares the shit out of me everytime he plays and it`s not just this season...i`ve been saying it for a while now.

PDG

Archived