IGNORED

Back From St James' Park

Fat Cigar

Well, extremely chuffed to go up there (and it really is up there!) and get a point. We were lucky to draw in terms of chances created. Like last week at Derby we had very few. I'd say our best one (and it wasn't really a chance, more a piece of individual skill) was from Haynes. He got the ball, just outside the box (i think), back to goal, flicked it up, turned and volleyed just wide.

There were a few half chances during the game but nothing of note to be honest. Again, just like Derby, Maynard just wasn't given the service. He's on fire this season and all it takes is a one on one or a chance to shoot in the box and I'm sure he'd score.

Gerken was magnificent. But, he has been in every game he's played. For me, he's definitely our best keeper. Made two cracking saves in succession in the second half.

Newcastle should have had a penalty. Even from the other side of the ground I could see Harewood was tripped. But hey, these things happen!

It was a decent game, I wouldn't say a great game. Newcastle looked most dangerous in the opening 15mins, but we grew in confidence as the game progressed and really dominated the midfield in the second half. Sno played ok, but did give the ball away far too many times.

We pass it around ok but it's all too one dimensional. We are desperate for that killer instinct. Is that now 10 goals in 11 league games? And without Maynard, where are the goals going to come from? Still, it was a great day out.

We were all quite subdued for the first half, but everyone came to life for the whole of the second half and we made a damn good racket. The Newcastle fans to our right were pretty vocal for most of the game but I don't think they took kindly to our witty chants against them!

In fact, they seem to be devoid of a sense of humour full stop. We had a few dozen try to get at our lot at the very end. Most of them little scallies in tracksuits. There did also seem to be sporadic bits of fighting at various points from the ground to the train station. At one point I actually hid my scarf because there were quite a few groups of Geordies openly looking for City fans. And further towards the station most of the police had disappeared and so had the City fans. Think I was lucky at one point not to get surrounded.

Anyway, that aside, it really is a 0-0 to be more than satisfied with.

St James' Park may be enormous, but it ain't half ugly. Obviously, half the ground is bigger than the other, and what's with the awful grey seats? Why not black and white? Still, I enjoyed all the anti-Mike Ashley chants. To which we responded with: "There's only one Mike Ashley..." They didn't find that funny, either!

Right, been up since 5.30 and I'm knackered. I'm off to bed!

Good write up. I found myself pacing around my garden in Brisbane at two am waiting for the whistle to blow. It came as a huge relief when it did. Funny how things change in football, my initial relief was superceded by disapointment that we hadn't won!

Ah, it's a funny old game.

Thanks for the report.

I was doing the same thing in Brisbane as well, was bloody nerve racking.

Archived