IGNORED

No Wonder Newcastle Fans Are So Full Of Themselves

Tim S

Just been reading through the last few days worth of forum talk and I now realise why Newcastle fans are so full of themselves.

For ages Ive always thought that Newcastle fans are just a bunch of big headed Geordies who think they are better than they are and dont deserve to be in the Championship just because they are a "big club" with the most loyal fans (in their eyes) etc....

Well I take that all back. Fans (of all clubs, not just us) play right into their hands when it comes to them thinking they are such a big club. Gary Johnson said that going to Newcastle will be an occasion and seemed to be treating it like an FA Cup tie as if we were playing Man Utd and the fans have been talking about the trip for weeks and weeks.

Dont get me wrong, they have a great ground and with it being such a distance its a proper trip to get there either by road, train or air so that makes it a proper away day. But it seems like everyone has got more excited about going to Newcastle than any other away trip this season, and to me it just seems like we are massaging their ego's. And for that reason, I now know why they are so full of themselves and in a way I cant blame them.

Just been reading through the last few days worth of forum talk and I now realise why Newcastle fans are so full of themselves.

For ages Ive always thought that Newcastle fans are just a bunch of big headed Geordies who think they are better than they are and dont deserve to be in the Championship just because they are a "big club" with the most loyal fans (in their eyes) etc....

Well I take that all back. Fans (of all clubs, not just us) play right into their hands when it comes to them thinking they are such a big club. Gary Johnson said that going to Newcastle will be an occasion and seemed to be treating it like an FA Cup tie as if we were playing Man Utd and the fans have been talking about the trip for weeks and weeks.

Dont get me wrong, they have a great ground and with it being such a distance its a proper trip to get there either by road, train or air so that makes it a proper away day. But it seems like everyone has got more excited about going to Newcastle than any other away trip this season, and to me it just seems like we are massaging their ego's. And for that reason, I now know why they are so full of themselves and in a way I cant blame them.

Totally agree with this, I know Newcastle are the best supported club in this league but they are in this league for a reason, they, like us aren't good enough at this moment in time to be in a higher division. Therefore I was very disappointed to see articles of players and the manager treating this game as if we had just won the lottery in some way.

Great result yesterday as they are riding high, but It means no more to me than if we went to West Brom away and got a point. Hopefully the longer we are in this league we don't have to see anymore embarrasing headlines of how excited fans and players are of going to these places. It stinks of small club mentality and shows us up in a bad light.

A quote from their forum regarding our fans.

"Their support was piss poor too, all these teams supports are like Japanese tourists here."

They also said this

Another huge following from the West Country up in Level 7, with an estimated 3,000 making the long journey north. For the most part I was pretty impressed with them. They had a decent repertoir of songs, granted all very samey as the rest of the teams and simple replace Reading/Plymouth/QPR etc. with Bristol.

They spoiled themselves slightly with the "You're Not Famous Anymore" which seems to be becoming a staple song from the away end this year. They even had a little bash at "Empty seats everywhere", I presume they were having a laugh. I think we've really got to start getting at teams more and quieting the away fans down because the more we fail to break teams down, the louder they seem to get which can only be encouraging for away teams. There were long spells that they were pretty quiet, all in all they were another good following.

8 out of 10

Don`t forget that their forum represents a small percentage of their fanbase-as does ours. There are bound to be individuals with a certain, shall we say outlook, that is beyond the norm that express opinions that are complete fiction-we have some of those too. However lets not lose sight of the fact that NUFC are a huge club with a vast fanbase and i`d quite gladly chew my fingers off to be able to say we could be on a par with them.

PDG

But it seems like everyone has got more excited about going to Newcastle than any other away trip this season,

A chance to have a weekend away in Newcastle with the lads and watch the City infront of 40,000+, think that was worth looking forward too. :dunno:

A chance to have a weekend away in Newcastle with the lads and watch the City infront of 40,000+, think that was worth looking forward too. :dunno:

Exactly mate. A few are making it sound like it is wrong in some way to look forward to a nice weekend away and a game of football at a top ground. I enjoyed every minute of it, so did the old man and my seven year old can go to school tomorrow and tell his Chelski/Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal supporting mates (although there are quite a few reds in his school to be fair) that he had a great weekend and sat with 3K of City fans making lots of noise in a crowd of 43,000, the second biggest crowd in the country yesterday. And it was cracking banter with literally every Newcastle fan we met.

Exactly mate. A few are making it sound like it is wrong in some way to look forward to a nice weekend away and a game of football at a top ground. I enjoyed every minute of it, so did the old man and my seven year old can go to school tomorrow and tell his Chelski/Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal supporting mates (although there are quite a few reds in his school to be fair) that he had a great weekend and sat with 3K of City fans making lots of noise in a crowd of 43,000, the second biggest crowd in the country yesterday. And it was cracking banter with literally every Newcastle fan we met.

Fair play mate and lets look forward to many more days like that in the futre

It's not wrong to enjoy it, just completely blown out of proportion by some. Regardless of size of stadium, Newcastle are in the same division as us, and I can't see why such a big deal was made out of this one game alone above all others.

If we had drawn Man Utd away in the cup then that would be a big deal, but Newcastle are our equals at the moment, and I find it embarrasing that for some reason our fans and some of the staff are in awe of another championship side.

It's not wrong to enjoy it, just completely blown out of proportion by some. Regardless of size of stadium, Newcastle are in the same division as us, and I can't see why such a big deal was made out of this one game alone above all others.

If we had drawn Man Utd away in the cup then that would be a big deal, but Newcastle are our equals at the moment, and I find it embarrasing that for some reason our fans and some of the staff are in awe of another championship side.

In the same way Manchester United are Hulls equals ?

PDG

No.

But thats you`re argument and surely if it works for you in the CCC then it has to apply in every league. But you`re right, it doesn`t work in Hulls case and it doesn`t work in ours. However tinted your glasses may be the only comparison is that we are in the same division, after that we are way behind as a club. So if people look forward to going to a fine stadium instead of some of the dumps we still have to got to then fair play to them. I`m just happy we had nearly 3k fans who were able to make that journey and continue to show how good our away support is.

PDG

But thats you`re argument and surely if it works for you in the CCC then it has to apply in every league. But you`re right, it doesn`t work in Hulls case and it doesn`t work in ours. However tinted your glasses may be the only comparison is that we are in the same division, after that we are way behind as a club. So if people look forward to going to a fine stadium instead of some of the dumps we still have to got to then fair play to them. I`m just happy we had nearly 3k fans who were able to make that journey and continue to show how good our away support is.

PDG

To compare Hull to Man Utd in the same league is different. Man Utd are an established team at the top of the Prem, Hull went up to the Prem just over a year ago. You cant compare them.

Newcastle WERE an established team in the Prem. They cocked up and came down and are now finding out how good or bad they will do in the Championship. Its a long season and although they are doing well at the moment it only takes a few games and they could fall like a stone. City WERE an established League One team, we succeeded and are now an ESTABLISHED team in the Championship and only a couple of wins away from being on par with Newcastle. Two teams that have entered the same league in recent years, I would say that evens us up more than Hull and Man Utd, surely???

PDG

Don't be daft.

Man Utd are possibly the biggest club in the world, Hull are not.

Newcastle haven't won anything since 1993 (the championship), before that it was the Fa cup in 1955.

You are confusing support with success, Newcastle are the best supported in numbers but that means jack shit. They may have a nice ground so what? Right now as a club we are equal to them, apart from they are about £80 million in debt.

Well if we went out and spent £80 million we didn't have I would hope we would be better than a championship side in a nice stadium.

Don't be daft.

Newcastle haven't won anything since 1993 (the championship), before that it was the Fa cup in 1955.

You are confusing support with success, Newcastle are the best supported in numbers but that means jack shit. They may have a nice ground so what? Right now as a club we are equal to them, apart from they are about £80 million in debt.

Well if we went out and spent £80 million we didn't have I would hope we would be better than a championship side in a nice stadium.

Were nowhere near Newcastle as a club or support, they have 8 million pound players playing for them for a start. just take yesterday for what it was - A cracking weekend away with the boys and a game against a very big club.

Don't be daft.

OK, apart from the fact that you failed to realise that i don`t think Hull and Man Ure are equals, nice use of facts there. Can you now show me some more to support your argument that we are equals with Newcastle ? I acknowledge that there are financial problems at the club, but that isn`t completely the clubs fault. A lot of that can be put down to the current owner but thats not a debate for this forum. Fact remains that they have a vastly more superior and experienced squad never mind the value.

I admire your desire to see City in the same `league` as it were as them but the reality is we`re some way from it yet.

PDG

To compare Hull to Man Utd in the same league is different. Man Utd are an established team at the top of the Prem, Hull went up to the Prem just over a year ago. You cant compare them.

Newcastle WERE an established team in the Prem. They cocked up and came down and are now finding out how good or bad they will do in the Championship. Its a long season and although they are doing well at the moment it only takes a few games and they could fall like a stone. City WERE an established League One team, we succeeded and are now an ESTABLISHED team in the Championship and only a couple of wins away from being on par with Newcastle. Two teams that have entered the same league in recent years, I would say that evens us up more than Hull and Man Utd, surely???

Please read the previous posts and my post....i think you`ll find the Hull/Man Ure comparison was tongue in cheek....i even admitted it to being so. pfft.

PDG

I agree with all aspects of this thread - everyone has their opinion.

Mine is that the team and management should have likened this game to an other game when playing a team above you in the league - an opportunity to beat them and gain points in the pursuit of promotion. Beating them and/or drawing also has an effect on our next oppoenents.

If Peterborough are serious about establishing themselves in the Championship they will look at the game against us as showing to themseves and their fans that they can compete aginst the likes of ourselves and Newcastle as our draw yesterday says we are of a similar sandard to the present league leaders. Or they will be frightened of facing us as we are truly capable of thrashing them.

I hope it's the latter!

Were nowhere near Newcastle as a club or support, they have 8 million pound players playing for them for a start. just take yesterday for what it was - A cracking weekend away with the boys and a game against a very big club.

They didn't have such great support when i watched City play there in 1992 when the attendence was just 11,000, to me this "best supporters in the land" talk is rubbish, are they any better or more loyal than the 3000 that watch Rochdale in the basement year after year or the 6000 that watch Oxford in the conference year after year? to me these types of supporters are the best in the land

because they have players like alan smith, kevin nolan, marlon harewood, nicky butt..... basically, all can play in the Premier League! They had 1 poor season and got relegated. In my eyes, and many others so it seems, they are still a club worthy of being in the Premier League. Not even half of the clubs in the prem can pull in crowds of 40,000+, for christs sake, we can only pull in 15,000 at best at the moment.

For a club like ours to be playing teams like Newcastle is a priviledge... comparing that to Northampton, Port Vale, Brighton and Hove Albion, Cheltanham and Swindon 4 seasons ago.

This is a massive deal for us, and for a club like us who for years and years struggled to get out of League 1 to now be able to not only play, but compete and get results off of West Brom, Newcastle and Middlesboro is something we should all be proud of.

Football is about passion and seeing our team compete against clubs like these bring that out of us.... well, most of us!

I agree with all aspects of this thread - everyone has their opinion.

Mine is that the team and management should have likened this game to an other game when playing a team above you in the league - an opportunity to beat them and gain points in the pursuit of promotion. Beating them and/or drawing also has an effect on our next oppoenents.

If Peterborough are serious about establishing themselves in the Championship they will look at the game against us as showing to themseves and their fans that they can compete aginst the likes of ourselves and Newcastle as our draw yesterday says we are of a similar sandard to the present league leaders. Or they will be frightened of facing us as we are truly capable of thrashing them.

I hope it's the latter!

Exactly..and i`d like to think that every conversation GJ had with the squad in the lead up to that match went along those lines, lets face it he`s not likely to say otherwise is he ?

But my debate with screech centers on him lambasting a lot of our fans for viewing it as something special and claiming that it shouldn`t have been viewed as something special and that as a club we are equals to NUFC which is ridiculous in my opinion.

PDG

OK, apart from the fact that you failed to realise that i don`t think Hull and Man Ure are equals, nice use of facts there. Can you now show me some more to support your argument that we are equals with Newcastle ? I acknowledge that there are financial problems at the club, but that isn`t completely the clubs fault. A lot of that can be put down to the current owner but thats not a debate for this forum. Fact remains that they have a vastly more superior and experienced squad never mind the value.

I admire your desire to see City in the same `league` as it were as them but the reality is we`re some way from it yet.

PDG

The facts.

Newcastle Utd are a championship club.

Bristol City are a championship club.

Names of players, I hope you have realised by now, means nothing, size of crowd doesn't equal success, ask Leeds and Wigan fans, value of a squad means nothing, ask Ipswich, what they have achieved prior to this season means nothing, see Leeds again, how much each player is on means nothing, Notts County pay a crap load.

The only thing that matters is where we, and they are today, they are top of the league that is the only difference, if they are there at the end of the season then you will be right, they are a better club than us as the season would have proved this. I don't buy into this, we are worlds apart bollocks.

They are our equals until the end of the season, and if we are both still in this division at the end of it, I would bet we will go into the following season as a club with a damned better future than they have got in store, failure to get back up this time will kill them off.

because they have players like alan smith, kevin nolan, marlon harewood, nicky butt..... basically, all can play in the Premier League! They had 1 poor season and got relegated. In my eyes, and many others so it seems, they are still a club worthy of being in the Premier League. Not even half of the clubs in the prem can pull in crowds of 40,000+, for christs sake, we can only pull in 15,000 at best at the moment.

For a club like ours to be playing teams like Newcastle is a priviledge... comparing that to Northampton, Port Vale, Brighton and Hove Albion, Cheltanham and Swindon 4 seasons ago.

This is a massive deal for us, and for a club like us who for years and years struggled to get out of League 1 to now be able to not only play, but compete and get results off of West Brom, Newcastle and Middlesboro is something we should all be proud of.

Football is about passion and seeing our team compete against clubs like these bring that out of us.... well, most of us!

I wish i could have put it so succinctly.

PDG

Im actually going to stand up for the Newcastle fans. Having been up there for the weekend from Friday and staying till Sunday, iv met and spoken to many Geordies up there, at various bars and even the taxi drivers! I dont think iv ever met a group of more friendly, football educated and generally genuine people/fans like them! They all spoke very highly of us as an away following and a few said we were the best away supporters there for a couple years which was also shouted out by the DJ in Jumpin Jacks bar.

I think its unfair to say they are full of themselves, they understood it was a hard league (championship), it was there own fault (or mike ashleys) they were in the position they were and it was up to them to prove they were good enough to be back in the Premier League next year. You can tell speaking to them all that Football is all they care about in the area as there isnt any major other sport in the area and the local rivalry with Sunderland was very evident listening to the huge cheers when Man U equalised in the 92min!

They are real football fans who care very deeply for their club and I certainley have more time for them then perhaps fans of the other big clubs with fans who probably support them for the wrong reasons. So thank you Newcastle fans for welcoming us!

But my debate with screech centers on him lambasting a lot of our fans for viewing it as something special and claiming that it shouldn`t have been viewed as something special and that as a club we are equals to NUFC which is ridiculous in my opinion.

It depends on what you are judging the equality on. My point is that we are all equal as we have the same teams to play twice and the opportunity to prove you are better than the rest by the end of the season.

With regard to money, Man U get nearly 80k each week and are £700 Million in debt, Newcastle get 40k each week and £80 million in debt. Which is more succesfull, the size of your debt or the trophies in the cabinet?

Im actually going to stand up for the Newcastle fans. Having been up there for the weekend from Friday and staying till Sunday, iv met and spoken to many Geordies up there, at various bars and even the taxi drivers! I dont think iv ever met a group of more friendly, football educated and generally genuine people/fans like them! They all spoke very highly of us as an away following and a few said we were the best away supporters there for a couple years which was also shouted out by the DJ in Jumpin Jacks bar.

I think its unfair to say they are full of themselves, they understood it was a hard league (championship), it was there own fault (or mike ashleys) they were in the position they were and it was up to them to prove they were good enough to be back in the Premier League next year. You can tell speaking to them all that Football is all they care about in the area as there isnt any major other sport in the area and the local rivalry with Sunderland was very evident listening to the huge cheers when Man U equalised in the 92min!

They are real football fans who care very deeply for their club and I certainley have more time for them then perhaps fans of the other big clubs with fans who probably support them for the wrong reasons. So thank you Newcastle fans for welcoming us!

Good shout - The fans decide who a big club is or not and i would bet right now that the Newcastle away end this season sells out more than any other.

Archived