IGNORED

Sleezyjet

bcfczd

has anyone else noticed how the prices for newcastle fans flying to bristol for there game is only around £20 each way shocking compared to the prices they were charging us :disapointed2se:

At the moment! Easyjet's pricing policy is down to supply and demand. More people wish to fly a certain route more the price will be.

Flights up to newcastle were priced like that originally. But as more people buy then the price rises. Simple supply and demand really...

Technically, that's the definition of 'supply and demand' - that's more like 'making hay while the sun shines'...

'Supply and demand' is if there is a need, you provide a service. Sleazyjet were already providing a service in the forms of flights between Bristol and Newcastle. However, what they do is capitalise - unfairly - on the fact that more people need the flight so they realise they can charge whatever they want. If they have loads of spare seats, then they'll out the prices down as low as they can to encourage people to fly.

Most services in any industry will reduce prices to encourage people to use them, however few will rip people off by putting prices up when they realise they can make more money off it.

• SC&T Board Members
Technically, that's the definition of 'supply and demand' - that's more like 'making hay while the sun shines'...

'Supply and demand' is if there is a need, you provide a service. Sleazyjet were already providing a service in the forms of flights between Bristol and Newcastle. However, what they do is capitalise - unfairly - on the fact that more people need the flight so they realise they can charge whatever they want. If they have loads of spare seats, then they'll out the prices down as low as they can to encourage people to fly.

Most services in any industry will reduce prices to encourage people to use them, however few will rip people off by putting prices up when they realise they can make more money off it.

In their defence, the 'supply and demand pricing model' is actually the best way for any industry with a 'perishable product' to operate, i.e. if a plane takes off with even one empty seat they have failed to realise the full potential for that flight and the seat cannot be resold (unlike a retailer selling 'normal' products, where if the product is not sold today, they have another chance to sell it tomorrow).

The prices fluctuate based on very complex algorithms, which include data on past purchasing patterns for each flight, and aim to match demand with the remaining seats available, so that each flight ideally ends up 100% full with the last seat taken late in the day by someone prepared to pay the then higher price.

By pricing this way, they are able to offer very cheap prices at the start of the sales period, as they know that the higher prices that latecomers are prepared to pay will compensate for this and produce a reasonable average.

The alternative would be to charge the average price to everyone and then none of us would get the cheap tickets!

How about football clubs pricing their tickets this way?

As others have mentioned, if they didn't put up their prices as the tickets are sold then they wouldn't make a profit and therefore wouldn't be able to offer the cheap seats. I think everyone is aware that if you want a cheap seat on EasyJet/Ryanair etc then you book early. It's definately preferable to charging more from the offset and not increasing the prices.

To some extent we do, with the £2 discount for buying in advance. Although less so now that is only available to members, who have already paid £20.

I'm sure I remember city doing an experiment a few years ago along those lines for a game - first 100 tickets were £15 or something like that?

But basically whilst it might encourage people to buy tickets early if they were cheaper, the POTD prices are already at (or arguably beyond) the very maximum of what is palatable to the casual fan, so if they were further increased as the flip side of this scheme it wouldn't be popular and would probably end up reducing revenue & attendances.

In their defence, the 'supply and demand pricing model' is actually the best way for any industry with a 'perishable product' to operate, i.e. if a plane takes off with even one empty seat they have failed to realise the full potential for that flight and the seat cannot be resold (unlike a retailer selling 'normal' products, where if the product is not sold today, they have another chance to sell it tomorrow).

The prices fluctuate based on very complex algorithms, which include data on past purchasing patterns for each flight, and aim to match demand with the remaining seats available, so that each flight ideally ends up 100% full with the last seat taken late in the day by someone prepared to pay the then higher price.

By pricing this way, they are able to offer very cheap prices at the start of the sales period, as they know that the higher prices that latecomers are prepared to pay will compensate for this and produce a reasonable average.

The alternative would be to charge the average price to everyone and then none of us would get the cheap tickets!

The only problem with doing this with football is that you might end up in a situation where a Season ticket holder ends up paying more for watching the same amount of games than someone who can phone early. This would have a detrimental effect of ST sales and not guarantee the club a big wedge of cash at the beginning of the year

I used to really hate Easy Jet, but having used them a few times for really great deals flights to Barcelona etc, I can reccomend them quite highly now. At the end of the day flying accross Europe for under £100 is a bargain that you can not complain about as long as they get you to the airport where you are meant to be going.

Obviously a trip to Bristol is less attractive to Newcastle fans as a trip to Newcastle was to City fans.

I suspect The Goerdie nation don't consider a weekend away at Weston Super Mud, Bath, St Pauls, Avonmouth or the Cumberland Basin or Ashton Gate Superstadium something to look forward to.

Obviously a trip to Bristol is less attractive to Newcastle fans as a trip to Newcastle was to City fans.

I suspect The Goerdie nation don't consider a weekend away at Weston Super Mud, Bath, St Pauls, Avonmouth or the Cumberland Basin or Ashton Gate Superstadium something to look forward to.

I know a few who stayed over in Bristol the other week when we played Cardiff and loved the place and intend to do the same when we play you.

A framed Tee-Shirt with something about "Me Lovees" printed on it now hangs in a city centre bar up here as a souvenior.

Archived