IGNORED

Right If We Insist On Playing Narrow

Super Scotty Murray

Ok, I think most of us are sick and tired of seeing the same narrow crap every week at the moment, it appears Gary is insistent on playing narrow, so here is my answer:

If we are going to play narrow, lets try to copy the best team in the country that plays narrow, CHELSEA.

They play a diamond, with a sitting midfield, two central midfielders who are encouraged to get around the pitch and an attacking midfielder to link up play and get forward. If this can work for them, it can work for us as we have the players to play this way.

I say we play like this:

Hartley as defensive midfielder - he has played their for Celtic & Scotland and is comfortable there (with Skuse as cover).

Elliott and Sno as central midfieldfers - both their natural and correct positions, both very fit so can get around the park (with Johnson as cover).

Clarkson as attacking midfielder - we need someone who can get into the box (like fat frank does so effectively for Chelski) and he deserves his chance after playing well at the start of the season (with williams as cover).

Not only would this work, but we have natural cover in the squad in every area and the midfield would actually understand what the hell they are supposed to be doing coz at the moment they look completely lost.

Obviosuly Orr and McAllister would have to get forward as much as possible as the full backs getting forward are key to this formation. With the sitting midfielder, this is possible because you will always have some cover at the back.

Your thoughts?

Guest zider_head

cant get any worse can it, i know what you mean

We have 3 choices i feel :-

1) We need to either go down this route

2) Play 5-3-2 with orr / riberio and mccallister etc

3) Buy / loan two decent wingers wo can cross, hence sproule is no good

Ok, I think most of us are sick and tired of seeing the same narrow crap every week at the moment, it appears Gary is insistent on playing narrow, so here is my answer:

If we are going to play narrow, lets try to copy the best team in the country that plays narrow, CHELSEA.

They play a diamond, with a sitting midfield, two central midfielders who are encouraged to get around the pitch and an attacking midfielder to link up play and get forward. If this can work for them, it can work for us as we have the players to play this way.

I say we play like this:

Hartley as defensive midfielder - he has played their for Celtic & Scotland and is comfortable there (with Skuse as cover).

Elliott and Sno as central midfieldfers - both their natural and correct positions, both very fit so can get around the park (with Johnson as cover).

Clarkson as attacking midfielder - we need someone who can get into the box (like fat frank does so effectively for Chelski) and he deserves his chance after playing well at the start of the season (with williams as cover).

Not only would this work, but we have natural cover in the squad in every area and the midfield would actually understand what the hell they are supposed to be doing coz at the moment they look completely lost.

Obviosuly Orr and McAllister would have to get forward as much as possible as the full backs getting forward are key to this formation. With the sitting midfielder, this is possible because you will always have some cover at the back.

Your thoughts?

Far too much width with fullbacks and two in central midfield. Did you not consider the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation?

In all seriousness it seems to have more balance on paper but Chelsea are very well served by attacking fullbacks and a striker in Drogba who thrives on long balls up to him. I still think we would find ourselves very narrow with limited attacking threat with this formation. Especially when a goal up where our fullbacks will inevitably drop back to sit alongside the centre backs.

The reason this formation works for Chelsea when they play it is that they have fullbacks who can provide width, our full backs don't have the capability to do this, so i can't see it working for us with the same effectiveness. We desperately need some width though.

I think with the players we have the best formation for us to use would be the same formation as yesterday with Skuse on the left (he did alright there and the only option we really have), two of either Sno, Hartley and Elliot in the midle, and then Haynes on the right. At least with Haynes there we have some pace and width.

The reason this formation works for Chelsea when they play it is that they have fullbacks who can provide width, our full backs don't have the capability to do this, so i can't see it working for us with the same effectiveness. We desperately need some width though.

I think with the players we have the best formation for us to use would be the same formation as yesterday with Skuse on the left (he did alright there and the only option we really have), two of either Sno, Hartley and Elliot in the midle, and then Haynes on the right. At least with Haynes there we have some pace and width.

I agree, unfortunately our fullbacks aren't up to the job of providing enough quality from the wings. I feel sorry for Orr really, because he really is a very good classic right back, when he plays 'wing back' it only highlights his deficiencies.

On the subject of wingers, I just watched Spartak Moscow and Lokomotiv and who should come on and score a killer third goal after storming down the left wing?

Quincy.

Honestly, he really would have been a useful addition.

Considering at the start of the season Johnson made it quite clear that last year the wingers werent good enough and then told McIndoe he had to concentrate on working towards being a left wing back/central midfielder (which led to him moving), its quite obvious with the players he signed and the formation from the first game that he sees 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 his first choice formation.

The back 5 picks itself really with Fontaine, Carey and Nyatanga the first choice central 3 with Orr (right) and McAllister left. It gets more complicated in the middle as now with Sno arriving as it did appear to be a central pairing of Elliott with Hartley to start with. So then its either really Clarkson or Sno to play the attacking midfielder role behind a front 2 of Maynard with Saborio/Haynes.

But at this moment in time Skuse is one of our best performing players and Johnson seems to be a starter although his contribution is 'arguble' with the only apparent quality being picking up a simple pass infront of the defence which really any professional footballer could do if told to do so! So with the injuries currently in the squad this is what id like to see Tuesday.....

--------------Gerken-----------------

------Orr----Carey--Nyatanga------

Skuse----------------------McAllister

----------Hartley--Elliott-------------

----------------Sno-------------------

--------Haynes----Maynard---------

We cant leave Skuse out the team and his engine / pace could be used very well down the right hand side. This is also because I still feel although he has his 'uses' McCombe isnt good enough at this level so with Fontaine out injured Orr can do a job in the centre. This will bring the best out of Sno playing in the centre and we'll have more pace in the team with the inclusion of Haynes which was needed at the weekend. I do still feel Clarkson can be a big player thou and hope he will start to challenge with some good sub appearances.

I say we play like this:

Your thoughts?

Now I've gotten yesterday out of my system, I can begin to think more positively.

The formation and players you put forward was the way I had predicted Mr Johnson would line up and play..So I was alittle suprised by his team, although I suppose he will keep faith with a team and players who play well the previous week so I will assume this had a lot to do with the thinking (along with some semi-unfit/ill/recovering players)

Thus the best starting team on paper (and I hope on the field) IMO is

Gerkin Carey Fontaine Orr Mcalister Sno Hartley Elliot Clarkson Haynes Maynard

However if the manager wishes to revert to 352 Skuse/Nyatanga can be fitted to accomodate with either Elliot or Clarkson making way.

What I like about our team is the stength in depth the manager has brought in

Basso McComb Nyatanga Wilson Ribero Johnson Williams Skuse Artus Akinde Sabario

Is a decent side...Plus quite a few others who could equally claim a spot...The future is bright....LET US NOT FORGET

It's quite simple as far as I am concerned. If Johnson insists on playing narrow he can go and f00k himself and find a supporter to take my place from next season.

Christ, you're a real ray of sunshine of late aren't you? How on earth did you ever manage in the dark, depressing days?

My question is, if you're preapred to give up so easily in your quest for entertainment, will you consider watching other 'football' teams in Bristol?

;)

Christ, you're a real ray of sunshine of late aren't you? How on earth did you ever manage in the dark, depressing days?

My question is, if you're preapred to give up so easily in your quest for entertainment, will you consider watching other 'football' teams in Bristol?

;)

No, if I don't watch City I have other footballing options that are far more enjoyable at present and are nothing to do with any other club in Bristol. I'm not bothering on Tuesday because yesterday was so sh1te and having travelled with about 600 odd others to places like Sheffield United and Barnsley last season and watched too much appalling football I have simply had enough. I hope the team plays well and wins but I'm not sure that Johnson has got the b0ll0ck$, humility or the tactical nouse to take a chance and go attack minded against the worst side in the division during the week.

In the dark, depressing days we had crap players trying their hardest not talented players like Evander Sno played out of position and Paul Hartley left on the bench all to accommodate one very average player. We used to try and play with width not deliberately go narrow and bore half the support base to death. It was a lot easier to manage then watching limited players doing their best rather than now where we are seeing far more talented players mis-managed like I saw yesterday and in the majority of home games I have watched this season.

Fair play to you if yesterday's performance represents the type and standard of football you want to see. It's just not for me I am afraid. You can have a pop at me all you like but I still won't be there Tuesday and if the football doesn't improve I won't be there next season - I couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks of that. It is simply the way I feel and judging by attendances I don't think I am alone.

Archived