IGNORED

Scott Murray....

yeovilmac

Hi all, just popping in here before Saturday's big game against the Gas. Feel free to express your good luck messages ahead of the weekend on this thread.... :englandsmile4wf:

As you will know, Scott scored his 100th career goal recently against Brighton & Hove Albion. It took him a fair few months to get it but only another 37 minutes to get to 101 as he scored a penalty later in the same game.

You may also know that Soccerbase (and maybe other stats sites) had him down for 100 goals already due to him being given a goal that he didn't actually score. I don't suppose that anyone on here would know which game / goal that was would they? I'm putting together a tribute article for our matchday programme as he is nearing his 500th senior game soon ( I think he's four games away).

Any help would be gratefully received, many thanks in anticpation.

Martin

Cheers RIAZ and Tom, much appreciated.

He's scored against 36 different League clubs now, quite a feat. Add to that five other clubs who were in the League ( I think) when he scored against them and that's quite a feat. Maybe Marcus might be able to outdo that, one for a rainy day, I think.

In season 2002/03, did he play up front that season or was it just a one-off, almost flukey performance from a winger? I also noted that he scored something like one in fifteen during that season, he must have been on fire to still get to 27 goals....

In season 2002/03, did he play up front that season or was it just a one-off, almost flukey performance from a winger? I also noted that he scored something like one in fifteen during that season, he must have been on fire to still get to 27 goals....

No he played on the right wing but that season Tinnion was majestic in the middle of midfield and could put the most sublime ball through on the right behind the defender where Scotty would cut in out pace the left back and then tuck it in the far corner as the keeper advanced.

Cheers RIAZ and Tom, much appreciated.

He's scored against 36 different League clubs now, quite a feat. Add to that five other clubs who were in the League ( I think) when he scored against them and that's quite a feat. Maybe Marcus might be able to outdo that, one for a rainy day, I think.

All came from the right wing - although, I would hardly call it flukey!

That was by far Scott's best season at the club and he scored some superb goals, including one after picking up the ball inside his own half, running through what seemed like the entire opposition's defence and slotting the ball home. (A better person than me will remember the opposition!).

That season was characterised by Brian Tinnion pinging the ball out to the right wing where Murray would be stood hugging the touchline. There he would take the ball down and run at players - and it scared the life out of them! His control, pace and trickery completely outdid the leftbacks he was up against and he was often able to reach the byline and whip a half-decent cross (never the strongest part of his game) in, or cut inside on his weaker left foot and manage to slot the ball home over the advancing keeper.

Attacking days when we often looked like scoring and could take most teams apart. However, the openness did for us in the end, and we still didn't win promotion.

The question of entertainment or promotion is one we're still talking about now...

All came from the right wing - although, I would hardly call it flukey!

That was by far Scott's best season at the club and he scored some superb goals, including one after picking up the ball inside his own half, running through what seemed like the entire opposition's defence and slotting the ball home. (A better person than me will remember the opposition!).

That season was characterised by Brian Tinnion pinging the ball out to the right wing where Murray would be stood hugging the touchline. There he would take the ball down and run at players - and it scared the life out of them! His control, pace and trickery completely outdid the leftbacks he was up against and he was often able to reach the byline and whip a half-decent cross (never the strongest part of his game) in, or cut inside on his weaker left foot and manage to slot the ball home over the advancing keeper.

Attacking days when we often looked like scoring and could take most teams apart. However, the openness did for us in the end, and we still didn't win promotion.

The question of entertainment or promotion is one we're still talking about now...

Fair point, flukey isn't the right word, is it? Makes it sound like he was "lucky" 27 times that season which he clearly wasn't.

I guess I was trying to convey the fact that it is so unusual that someone who predominantly plays out wide should score so many goals. He was like a Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of his time, I suppose, although I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like Scotty...

My favourite Murray goal would be on 29th Feb 2000 when you played Exeter in the semi-final of the JPT or whatever it was called. He collected the ball out wide by the halfway line, ran in and hit a left foot beauty into the top corner of the net.... an absolute stunner!!

Thanks for all the help guys. I think we're all hoping he gets number 102 on Saturday, and maybe 103 and 104 too would be good...

I think we're all hoping he gets number 102 on Saturday, and maybe 103 and 104 too would be good...

Definitely - you'll have 15,000 extra supporters on Saturday, all hoping you smash the gas and Scotty nets a hat trick into the bargain. :winner_third_h4h:

Archived