IGNORED

An Exile's View

Dastardly and Muttley

Tuesday night was, for one reason or another, my first visit to the Gate for a league match since our promotion. I have a few points to make as a kind of outsider, who's avidly followed by text and radio!

Firstly, the new stadium is a must. My view was not what should be expected for £28, with two pillars obstructing the pitch and people walking directly in front for most of the match. As much as I love Ashton Gate, we need somewhere new to go.

Secondly, why did we need a "show of solidarity" when we're ninth in the table? What are we going to do if we have a bad season and struggle against the drop?

Thirdly, the match. A decent performance against a struggling team who came to play a typical smash and grab away performance. They put us under great pressure and were very physical, meaning we had to jumble things around before finding the successful formula, but when we played well it was very good indeed. We look comfortable on the ball, and have added real quality, I was extremely impressed with Nyatanga, Skuse, Hartley, Haynes and Maynard, who all look like top players in this division, and in Gerken we've found a solid keeper who wants to play for us, although England's number 1 as claimed by the programme might be a bit hasty!

All in all, an enjoyable night, and well worth the trip down. Plenty of positives from the quality of players that we have, who I believe are still not all fully fit after the virus. The squad is very strong, with only the wide areas looking vulnerable, and I genuinely believe, that by Christmas when everyone is fully fighting fit, we have the potential to be a top four side this season.

Tuesday night was, for one reason or another, my first visit to the Gate for a league match since our promotion. I have a few points to make as a kind of outsider, who's avidly followed by text and radio!

Firstly, the new stadium is a must. My view was not what should be expected for £28, with two pillars obstructing the pitch and people walking directly in front for most of the match. As much as I love Ashton Gate, we need somewhere new to go.

Secondly, why did we need a "show of solidarity" when we're ninth in the table? What are we going to do if we have a bad season and struggle against the drop?

Thirdly, the match. A decent performance against a struggling team who came to play a typical smash and grab away performance. They put us under great pressure and were very physical, meaning we had to jumble things around before finding the successful formula, but when we played well it was very good indeed. We look comfortable on the ball, and have added real quality, I was extremely impressed with Nyatanga, Skuse, Hartley, Haynes and Maynard, who all look like top players in this division, and in Gerken we've found a solid keeper who wants to play for us, although England's number 1 as claimed by the programme might be a bit hasty!

All in all, an enjoyable night, and well worth the trip down. Plenty of positives from the quality of players that we have, who I believe are still not all fully fit after the virus. The squad is very strong, with only the wide areas looking vulnerable, and I genuinely believe, that by Christmas when everyone is fully fighting fit, we have the potential to be a top four side this season.

Steady on mate. Bit strong innit? :disapointed2se: :disapointed2se:

Seriously, thanks for that, bit of common sense. Nyatanga impress's me more and more and if we can get Haynes going he could be a real bargain. Hartley is Captain Class.

That's good to hear, although this season I've done Cardiff away, Newcastle away and was down for the Peterborough game.

So perhaps I've seen three of the worst performances this season (ok Newcastle was a back against the wall job) but I think I should be banned as the next game I am down for is Ipswich.

Can see it now, Ipswich still no wins, down to AG, pressure on RK, etc etc and we go and get beat......mark my words......:laugh:.

Off to Middlesborough but not sure where else as yet, but if I go then save your money!!

Up the City.

That's good to hear, although this season I've done Cardiff away, Newcastle away and was down for the Peterborough game.

So perhaps I've seen three of the worst performances this season (ok Newcastle was a back against the wall job) but I think I should be banned as the next game I am down for is Ipswich.

You've missed out Carlisle. Me and half a dozen other fools turned up for that one. That was our worst performance of the season. I took that game as an ideal opportunity to bring along my girlfriend to her first City match. I think I put her off for life.

Archived