IGNORED

Hello Robins, From Up Here In Sheffield..

OwlsonlineAdmin

Hello there,

Was just wondering if some of you wouldn't mind answering some questions for us ahead of our trip to Ashton Gate this weekend?

Nothing too strenuous, just stuff about your expectations for the season, who's the ones to watch, etc etc..

This site will be linked in the article by way of thanks..

If you fancy chipping in with your answers then please drop us a line,

admin@owlsonline.com

Thanks for listening.

Here's the questions if you can't be bothered to email...

1) So this season, what were you're expectations for the Robins?

2) Have those expectations changed now we are well into the season and you

are unbeaten in five games?

3) Gary Johnson, is he the man to take the club to the next level?

4) If you could sign one player (realistically) to be the final piece of the

jigsaw who would it be?

5) Other than your nearest geographical rival, who else do you REALLY look

to beat?

6) Nicky Maynard is hitting the headlines for you at the moment, but is

there someone that hasn't attracted the attention of the media yet?

7) What do you know about Sheffield Wednesday?

8)Any memories of games against us?

9) Any team news?

10) Score prediction please.

Top 8 at least, play offs would be nice

No, I think we are going nicely

Yes, honestly, I don't know who else we could get in, based on our size as a club

jigsaw who would it be?

A right or left sided winger! We just got rid of a decent one in the last window, we've changed our formation to accommodate the lack of wingers, but I like wingers

to beat?

Sheffield Wednesday :P Or more seriously, probably Crystal Palace now, after the incidents from earlier in the season

Lois Carey never seems to get the credit he deserves outside of the club, I always feel less secure when he's not there sorting out the defense which is our stronger side of our game

Right now, not that much I'm afraid, alot of my knowledge is based on the football league show, based on that, I'm led to believe that the Championship is only made up Newcastle and some bit part players. I know that you should be in the prem based on your size and history.

Beating you guys 1-0 in our first season after promotion in a game we had no right winning, we then went top of the league after

9) Any team news?

Yes, there's probably will be

City 2-1

jigsaw who would it be?

to beat?

9) Any team news?

Questions 1-9 ---- Blah, blah, blah.

Question 10 - the proverbial 2-0 City win

1. Play offs

2. Nope, going well but i do think we have another gear if they can just find it.

3. I think so, underrated by others perhaps but he is the best we have had for a very long time.

4. Its probably the most complete squad we have had in years, that said a natural left wide player would be a welcome addition.

5. I guess it is Palace at the moment what with recent history, always like to get one over Forest as well.

6. As mentioned Louis Carey doesn't get a lot of press but is a key player for us, brings some order and composure to the defense.

7. Remember your cup run years ago and we seem to have some mixed results against you in recent times. Looks like you've struggled for the past few seasons, you seem inconsistent.

8. Some years ago, home game, 1-1 i think it was, Trevor Francis played, player manager perhaps? It snowed, i was in our Eastend, a strong wind blew right into the stand, its the coldest i have ever been at a game.

9. Squad got hit hard by a virus at the start of the season but we have now pretty much got back to full strength, luckily this season we have good depth in the squad which has helped cover those hit by the virus.

10. 1-2 City win.

Given the signings we made pre-season I thought that we would flirt with a playoff position and that's proved to be the case although we've done so without getting into top gear.

I think that we'll be there or there about at the end of the season. We've played well in patches so far but have lacked the killer punch - we've conceded very late goals (and points) on two or three occasions which, if we'd kept out, would have seen us in an automatic spot right now. No one team is dominating the division to date so it's there for the taking.

He is in my view. There isn't another manager that I'd prefer to have running Bristol City.

jigsaw who would it be?

Rumour had it that City were tracking Scott Sinclair throughout the Summer but he ended up at Wigan. He would have provided us with more width which would have been a good thing.

to beat?

We probably won't play our nearest geographic rival again in an competitive match unless they manage to spawn their way through the early rounds of the FA Cup and get drawn against us. The Taffs are the ones we always like to beat. Doesn't everyone?

Liam Fontaine - a classy defender but he's injured and won't play against you this weekend.

All I need to thanks!

Sorry but I'm going to have to go back to 1970/71 - the second game of the season and our first away game played on 21/8/71 at Hillsborough. We won 5-1 (Galley 3, Emanuel, Garland in front of 12,738). Away games don't get better than that!

9) Any team news?

Nobody will predict our lineup!

3-1 please!

top 6 place

yes i believe if we are confident we can go all the way and achieve promotion because we have lost joint least losses in championship along with newcastle , teams that dont lose and remain strong always have a good chance.so top me thinks

yes gary johnson is the man you look at his career stats he has very high ambitions and very strict rules you dont follow the rules your out

jigsaw who would it be?

realisticly i have always liked the look of darren ambrose and qprs patrick agyemang. and i believe they could do a job for us

to beat?teams near the bottom such as barnsley ,peterbrough ,s****horpe,doncaster,watford,derby and others but we cant manage it because we are always to over confident. but higher teams i would like to beat are west brom,middlesbrough,sheffield united ,cardiff of course because we hate them and also forest if we beat newcastle it would be a bonus.

i would've said dean gerken but he went and got in there for the wrong reasons last sat night.!

mid table side always hard to beat can produce that bit of magic good manager and s**t defence got best fans in country imo though.

1-1 draw last year great atmosphere,2-1 win 2 years ago ,1-0 win at hillsborough and the 3-2 win at hillsbrough i didnt go to the hillsbrough game but my dad went to the 3-2 were lee peacock went in goal for a penalty.

9) Any team news?

gerken possibly might not start,fontaine injured,bradley orr failed scan,but rest of team fully fit .

4-1 city i dont know why i just have a wierd feeling maynard to score twice ,mccombe and also danny haynes and tudgay for your lot :) ctid

Play offs or just outside.

not really, we havent fired yet though so that may change

I believe so and he should certainly be given the chance

jigsaw who would it be?

Anyone who wants to come who's got a left foot!

to beat?

Palace, just cant stand Warnock, never could, and i dont like his teams

Its always goal scorers isnt it? I suppose if Danny Haynes scores a few more he will be in the spotlight, has been very good so far.

Danny Wilson- De Canio- push the ref- relegation , big club, great fan base, kind of lost your way a bit . (didnt Tony Currie play for you in the 70's?),

nope.

9) Any team news?

Lot of rotation going on. Fontaine out, Gerken probably suspended, everyone else fit.

3-1 City.

Promotion at least the Prey Offs

No

Yes

jigsaw who would it be?

We have the players

to beat?

Crystal Palace

Evander Sno

sleeping giant

Peacock in Goal

9) Any team news?

Rarely before Kick Off

2-1

Hi there,

Righty then.

For me, just an improvement on last season, in league finish and performances, and I am happy to say we have seen them (so far anyway). I would be very happy with a Play-off place.

Not really. We have drawn a number of those 5 games, so we could either start playing well and winning games or the opposite. I think (and hope) we can get better as we have had a serious virus sweeping through the club over the last few months and players are just getting back to fitness.

Without a doubt.

jigsaw who would it be?

Scott Sinclair or Lee Martin would have been nice. In fact any left winger with a bit of pace and end-product would do.

to beat?

Cardiff, Forest and Palace.

Paul Hartley and perhaps Alvaro Saborio will come good.

Historically a big club, with a large but old ground and a good support. Always did well in the cups when I was growing up. For some reason I always disliked Mel Sterland. Oh, and the Hillsbrough disaster obviously, as I had a friend that was sat above the Leppings Lane end pulling fans up into the tier above on that horrible day.

Only over recent years due to the difference in leagues and there was nothing that really stood out as a memory as such.

9) Any team news?

Gary Johnson always plays his cards close to his chest, so you could be up against a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 or possibly a 3-2-2-2-3. As for players, the only one that is pretty much guaranteed to start is Maynard.

1-0 City.

1) So this season, what were you're expectations for the Robins? - Top 12 - Possibly play-offs, but if we do, we'll lose them, as always.

are unbeaten in five games? - Bit more optimistic, but 30 years of watching City has taught me that the only predictable thing about City is that they are unpredictable.

3) Gary Johnson, is he the man to take the club to the next level? - Not sure - He has good and bad points, but you have to respect what he has achieved.

jigsaw who would it be? - A couple of decent wide players.

to beat? Cardiff

there someone that hasn't attracted the attention of the media yet? - Cole Skuse, but he does not really get noticed and is vastly under-rated.

7) What do you know about Sheffield Wednesday? You used to be good, but are sking and struggling, and have an awful away record. Handy for the Kelham Island Tavern though.

8)Any memories of games against us? A defeat (3-0 or 3-1) not long after the Hillsborough tragedy. Very poignant and the result just did not matter.

9) Any team news? No idea. The man in possession keeps his place in a system of rotating midfielders, with a formation of numbers adding up to 10. Team selection is not always logical. I suspect that Lee Johnson will start.......

10) Score prediction please. 2-0 to City, but we are in great home form, you are awful away, so it has the makings of a win for you guys.

Given the quality of our signings (largely ignored by the media) a play off place was a realistic expectation and the start of the season- certainly top ten

Nope, a play off place is still the aim- automatic might be a bit much to hope for

Yes, sometimes he makes strange decisions but is definitely one of the best managers the club has ever had

jigsaw who would it be?

A decent winger, say David Cotterill or Chris Taylor

to beat?

Cardiff, although they are the nearest team in this division

Cole Skuse and Lewin Nyatanga, both quality players often ignored by even our own fans

Big club, poor manager, decent squad but all much of a muchness

Probably the stand out game was in 2004 (?) when we took 7k to Hillsborough on the back on an 11 game winning streak. We promptly lost 1-0 to a last minute goal.

9) Any team news?

Orr is injured and team is unpredictable due to Johnsons new rotation system

2-1 City

8) that game was 14 months after the disaster and sealed our return back to the top flight at the first attempt

You are right - I remember we sat in the top tier of the Leppings Lane end, and the terraces below looked like they had hardly been touched. Even that long after the event, it still felt a bit weird.

Top six, the side that got to the play-off final isn't a hitch on the team we have now so i don't see why not, wouldn't mind winning against the bigger teams this season though

No, we can do it. Best squad here for ages now. The unbeaten run isn't really a big thing as we still are drawing an awful lot at the moment, rather win 1 and lose 1 then draw 2 and be unbeatean eh

Yes, best manager in yonks, the day he goes is the day we decline back down the league and lose all our players

jigsaw who would it be?

A proper winger, really can beat a man and finish it off, wouldnt mind Chris Brunt from WBA

to beat?

Crystal Palace. One word, Neil Warnock

He is, really found his feet at this level now and looks a constant threat. Id say a couple of unsung heroes. Id put Hartley, Haynes, Skuse, Nyatanga and Gerken up there. Excusing Gerken's howler on saturday!

Not alot to be honest. I think Tudgay and Esajas (sp) looked ery dangerous when i saw you playing the other sheffield team ;) but i don't really know much, sorry

Yes, i think last season i had a bet for 2-0 and whoever scored first to score first and it was 80/1 i think. Put a tenner on it, well happy with a minute to go until Beevers i think pulled a consolation abck, not happy. Oh and the first season back at this level, on the TV at a big ground and Brian Wilson scored after a few minutes and how you didnt score that game i don't know.

9) Any team news?

All the first team should be fit. Orr and Fontaine a doubt and they are very important to us.

3-1........ again ;)

1. Somewhere between 8th and 14th.

2. Bit more optimistic now. We've signed some very good players, and we haven't got them firing on all cylinders yet - but we're there or thereabouts in the table.

3. Yes. He's got his faults, but he's got fewer than most managers, and I can't imagine anyone else coming in and keeping us at the level we're at in the short term.

4. A pacy left-sided midfielder.

5. Normally Cardiff. This year, Palace.

6. Cole Skuse. Quietly efficient, and getting better all the time.

7. Not much at present.

8. (a) Losing 1-0 at Hillsborough in 2004 (?), ending our 11 match winning run.

(b) Strangely, "supporting" you on the Spion Kop at Leicester (my home town) in the 1970s in an FA Cup 2nd replay (or was it the 3rd?) against Arsenal, when Cup Ties kept being replayed until somebody won, with the 2nd and later replays often on neutral grounds. You lost, but it was a great atmosphere.

9. Some people on here won't be happy with the team selected.

10. 3 - 1 City

Hope you all have a good day out, apart from the bit from 3.00 until about 4.50!

Correlated answers ( from 11 , complete, replies)

Play offs (8/11)

yes (10/11)

jigsaw who would it be?

left sided winger/midfielder (10/11)

to beat?

Palace(7/11)

Skuse(3/11)

3-1/ 2-1 (4 each)

Thank to you lot, some cracking responses..

if you go to www.owlsonline.com you'll see the Bring it on feature on our homepage, and the others of you that have emailed us, youer answers have been posted on our forum,

We will post our match preview up here for you to have an opinion on tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help peeps, good luck for the season.

A decent push for the playoffs has always been the aim, we've been in the league a couple of seasons and whilst it is very competitive I think a lot of our support truely (and possibly correctly) believe we are more than capable of beating any team in the division.

I've got to say, we are right on track to achieve our ultimate aim, Promotion. We have arguable the best central midfield in the division and one of the best strikers. Onwards and upwards.

I don't think any club in the division could honestly say they wouldn't have him at the reigns, his success in football has been monumentous. the guy deserves every success here, and he is definately the man to take us up!

jigsaw who would it be?

A lot of our fans would say a left winger, seeing as we don't have one. But i'd say the one thing we lack is that out and out left wing back that would help us when we play 3-5-2. I'd love to see someone like Kieran Gibbs or Fabio on loan to add some pace. But ultimately I don't think we need much more.

to beat?

Palarse and QPR are obvious ones. I suppose Crapdiff count as our nearest rivals with the gas languishing in another world!

Paul Hartley is a magnificent midfielder, as is Cole Skuse. So I'd say those two have put in performances that might warrant media praise.

Quite a lot, It was us and you typically in League 1, and unfortunately you came out on top and went up a few years before us! as a club I'd say you have done well to consolidate a position in this league but maybe you should be looking to progress to the higher regions of the league soon.

always recall teh big promotion battles against you, they were always big atmosphere games and highly charged!

9) Any team news?

Think we have a nearly fully fit squad(for the first time this year) :D

2-0 to the City, Maynard and Orr will score ;)

8) that game was 14 months after the disaster and sealed our return back to the top flight at the first attempt

Was that the night game, i was there and your ground was rocking that night. I never realised how big your Kop was untill that night. If i remember rightly you needed the Gas to beat Oldham the same night?, we obviously looked at that another way!!

Wednesday, REAL football club with great support. Your the sort of club that should be in the top flight unlike Wigan,Hull etc etc.

As for us, we are about where we want to be,establish ourselves as a decent Championship club and hopefully when we get the new ground we can push on.

Archived