IGNORED

Let's Take Stock...

HibbsyBCFC

Good post, I honestly think if we had 2 decent wingers, we'd finish in the top 3 almost certainly. The supply the wingers would get from Hartley, sno, and the rest of the team would make us very very strong. We may even be able to get the best out of Soborio and Clarkson with a more ariel supply. The rumours we are looking at Commons are very promising, he is exactly what we need.

Regarding the strikers, i feel in previous seasons Johnson hasn't been able to attract the right sort of strikers for our style of play. He has had Nicky for a while now, and we are starting to see the results as he is proving to be a fantastic striker. To be fair, most strikers we have aren't here long, perhaps as with maynard, they need over a year to adapt to our systems of play. Now he has invested in youthful players, clarkson, haynes, maynard that gives us time to work on them as players, and hopefully lead to them becoming as much of a success as Maynard. Previous strikers we have had, Jevons, Brooker, Byfield, Trundle, have been older, and have had careers with various coaches teaching them to play in different ways.

Seems like a fair assesment to me. This is my 24th season of watching City too, and I'm more proud to be a S*ithead now than at any time, but.....there's always a but with City, aren't there!

I'm not a LJ basher by any means, but I'm afraid there is no way he can keep Hartley out of the starting 11. If Hartley is still recovering from illness, or has a knock then that is fair enough - but I've not seen or heard that anywhere. I said during pre season that this was the time for LJ to move on. Not aware of any bids, so guessing he will be around for a while yet. I always felt sorry for the fella in the past, but Hartley, Williams (when fit) and the ever improving Skuse, Sno and Marvellous are all simply well ahead of the little fella, in my opinion.

Getting really peed off with the inability to finish off teams at home. 6 points dropped with late equalisers already this season, we'd be clear at the top if we had held onto those points. Mixture of no width and the inability, that you pointed out, of not having a regular striking partnership. Been impressed with Haynes, not sure on Saborio and Akinde is a little green right now. Maynard is getting some lovely goals, but we need someone in the six yard box who is going to bury anything coming his way. On saying that, everyone is looking for that kind of striker!

Also a little concerned with GJ's problem with the fans right now. I don't agree with the stick he gets off certain people in the ground, but I'm afraid he's got to grow some and deal with it a whole lot better than he is currently. There are plenty of people struggling financially right now, and football will be at the bottom of their list of priorities right now - we go to be entertained, and as we're paying our money then we are entitled to have our say. It's always been that way and always will be - and we'll all be around a lot longer than any of the current playing or management squad.

Christ, I'm depressed now - I started off saying how proud I was to be a S*ithead then spent the next 3 paragraphs having a right whinge!

Regarding the strikers, i feel in previous seasons Johnson hasn't been able to attract the right sort of strikers for our style of play. He has had Nicky for a while now, and we are starting to see the results as he is proving to be a fantastic striker. To be fair, most strikers we have aren't here long, perhaps as with maynard, they need over a year to adapt to our systems of play. Now he has invested in youthful players, clarkson, haynes, maynard that gives us time to work on them as players, and hopefully lead to them becoming as much of a success as Maynard. Previous strikers we have had, Jevons, Brooker, Byfield, Trundle, have been older, and have had careers with various coaches teaching them to play in different ways.

I agree that my problem with his record in signing strikers may have turned a corner. Maynard is excellent, Haynes looks promising and I've liked what I've seen from Akinde and Clarkson. Jury's out on Saborio.

This is a great example of progress not being instant. Yes GJ's made mistakes, chopped and changed the front two a lot much to my annoyance... but he's been given time, has in turn given time to Maynard and now we are indeed seeing positive results.

Archived