IGNORED

Defending The 1-0 Lead

Chivs

I've read on here a few times that we were once again guilty of sitting back on a 1-0 lead on Saturday.

I'm bemused by this as I didn't think that was the case at all. Indeed, in the last few games at AG I think that the players have started to go for that second goal.

Sheff Wed naturally came out and transformed a draw mentality into a "must not lose" mentality after we had scored. We didn't withdraw into our shells but were hit by a very forceful Wednesday side. In the end I suspect we were all grateful for the point.

We were definitely guilty of sitting back last year. It seemed to be almost guaranteed that the opposition would equalize. This year we have been far more positive when 1-0 up. I think that the players and GJohnson should be commended for changing an almost engrained attitude.

Am I right about this or have I been taking the Johnson positive pills?

I agree, a lot of posts slate our negative tactics when leading, but ignore the fact our opposistion may have changed theirs to be more attack minded.

It does seem that once we go a goal up the players and crowd become very nervous in expectation of conceding and this makes the team drop deeper.

But I really think we didn't drop deep on Saturday. :dunno:

However, just to prove that when GJ handed over the positive pills I put one of them under my tongue and didn't swallow...

I really wish we could keep two forwards up field when they have a corner.

I'd fancy Maynard and Haynes/Sproule against any defence in the country when chasing after a Gerken launch. The best form of defence is attack.

• Admin
But I really think we didn't drop deep on Saturday. :dunno:

However, just to prove that when GJ handed over the positive pills I put one of them under my tongue and didn't swallow...

I really wish we could keep two forwards up field when they have a corner.

I'd fancy Maynard and Haynes/Sproule against any defence in the country when chasing after a Gerken launch. The best form of defence is attack.

Apart from when you lose the ball and they get a clean run on goal as a result :whistle2:

I agree though, there was definitely the Marv opportunity to cross to bodies in the box (before turning the other direction) on one foray and Haynes with a similar chance the other side (but he got tackled) shortly after we'd taken the lead.

Would a result at Forest make this a reasonable result?

I've read on here a few times that we were once again guilty of sitting back on a 1-0 lead on Saturday.

I'm bemused by this as I didn't think that was the case at all. Indeed, in the last few games at AG I think that the players have started to go for that second goal.

Sheff Wed naturally came out and transformed a draw mentality into a "must not lose" mentality after we had scored. We didn't withdraw into our shells but were hit by a very forceful Wednesday side. In the end I suspect we were all grateful for the point.

We were definitely guilty of sitting back last year. It seemed to be almost guaranteed that the opposition would equalize. This year we have been far more positive when 1-0 up. I think that the players and GJohnson should be commended for changing an almost engrained attitude.

Am I right about this or have I been taking the Johnson positive pills?

While I agree that, on Saturday, we didn't sit back on the 1-0 lead, we have been doing that so often at home for a L-O-O-NG time, I almost come to expect it. This is by far my biggest criticism of the manager. Too often, this season and previous ones, we have been guilty of giving away a goal when trying to defend a lead after an hour by giving up 3/4 of the pitch and sitting on the edge of our 18-yard box.

And to all those who say we should be grateful for what we have and the position we are in, I say we should be looking to improve not remain static and as far as I'm concerned, that's not happening - especially since we now have better players (on paper) at the club.

Archived