IGNORED

Big Match Nov 4th

Rich

November the fourth is probably one of the clubs biggest contests for years.

It's bigger than the play off matches in relation to the clubs long term future.

Who will be at the council house to support the club?

Can you imagine supporters of the clubs plans being outnumbered by objectors?

Not to mention members of the blue few that don't want us to leave them lagging further behind.

6 pm meeting College Green, BE THERE TO SUPPORT THE CLUB.

It's bigger than the play off matches in relation to the clubs long term future.

Not to mention members of the blue few that don't want us to leave them lagging further behind.

One of the opponents of the plans is Mr Ron Morton, he will speak against the plans at the meeting tonight.

He is the organiser of Shortwood green against greenbelt expansion in South Gloucestershire.

He lives in the village of Shortwood and doesn't want development from Mangotsfield reaching his village.

He says that the greenbelt makes living in the city tolerable but doesn't live in the city.

Now he has decided to oppose our stadium plans because they are partly on greenbelt land,

by doing this he probably thinks this will bring to the public's eye the issue of greenbelt development

and heighten his chances of saving his house from falling in value and desireability.

In his statement to the council he says that he would like to see city in the Premier League

and the world cup come to Bristol,

From what I've read of his initial views published before, he did not mention this support

and it seems as if he's trying to put over a balanced view.

In reality he is only interested in his own little village and campaign.

One of the opponents of the plans is Mr Ron Morton, he will speak against the plans at the meeting tonight.

He is the organiser of Shortwood green against greenbelt expansion in South Gloucestershire.

He lives in the village of Shortwood and doesn't want development from Mangotsfield reaching his village.

He says that the greenbelt makes living in the city tolerable but doesn't live in the city.

Now he has decided to oppose our stadium plans because they are partly on greenbelt land,

by doing this he probably thinks this will bring to the public's eye the issue of greenbelt development

and heighten his chances of saving his house from falling in value and desireability.

In his statement to the council he says that he would like to see city in the Premier League

From what I've read of his initial views published before, he did not mention this support

In reality we are only interested in our own club :dunno:

I'll be there!

I'm not sure why you highlight this man, in his position I'd feel exactly the same.

If there were no new stadium for City involved in the whole business, with all the benefits to the club we are told it will bring, I'd be 100% on his side.

Although it may be hard to understand there is alot more to life than BCFC for some people, and the concreting over of the green belt is a very valid issue to get angry and object about imo., whether it affects you directly with the ruination of your particular village or not.

I'm not sure why you highlight this man, in his position I'd feel exactly the same.

If there were no new stadium for City involved in the whole business, with all the benefits to the club we are told it will bring, I'd be 100% on his side.

Although it may be hard to understand there is alot more to life than BCFC for some people, and the concreting over of the green belt is a very valid issue to get angry and object about imo., whether it affects you directly with the ruination of your particular village or not.

After following this debate from the outset I believe he is only interested in his village/house.

He advocates building more houses in the cities so villages like his aren't developed, with no regard for the people in cities and the overcrowding that causes, he is the typical NIMBY.

If he were a green party member or friends of the earth I would cut him some slack but he is not.

While I'd agree that protecting the Greenbelt is an important issue and brownfield development - which is what we're doing - is a much better idea, surely this chap is complaining to the wrong people, i.e. Bristol City Council.

All of the Greenbelt to the north of Bristol isn't in there area at all and it's not there decision on whether to build at Mangotsfield, Shortwood, Pucklechurch, Downend, Harry Stoke, or any other area around there.

That land all lies in South Gloucestershire, so South Gloucestershire Council make decisions and seeing as they are run by a completely different political party and completely different council officers, surely he's wasting his time to a large extent?

After following this debate from the outset I believe he is only interested in his village/house.

He advocates building more houses in the cities so villages like his aren't developed, with no regard for the people in cities and the overcrowding that causes, he is the typical NIMBY.

If he were a green party member or friends of the earth I would cut him some slack but he is not.

It's the principal he is fighting for, whether the development BCFC are part off will affect him directly in the first instance or not.

If he has chosen to live in a village, he has every right to be alarmed if it is threatened with being deluged by new houses. Obviously it would no longer be a village so his lifestyle would be severely affected.

He also has every right to protest if development will adversely affect the value of his property. You can hardly knock him for that.

People in cities like Bristol have made a decision to live in overcrowded places, this bloke has chosen the opposite.

You don't have to be a Green Party member or a Friend of the Earth to find wholesale development into the countryside objectionable, it is a much more widespread feeling than that.

I'd like to think I could move on into a "village near Bristol" sometime in the future, at this rate it looks like I may end up alot further away.

I doubt his objections will have much effect, and I expect City's new stadium to get the go ahead, but I'm not going to pillory the bloke for voicing his own objections just because I'm a BCFC supporter.

But for the little matter of BCFC being involved in the interwoven matters of supermarket/stadium/green belt development/10,000 new houses etc. I'd be right behind him.

Archived