IGNORED

Thoughts On Tonight's Meeting

Orbital

I have just arrived home after being sat in the council chambers for the last five and a half hours and wanted to share a few thoughts. Obviously it is fantastic news and I think Colin and Steve have just done a superb piece of street trading. Including Southlands in the proposal was a gem of an idea. If the committee had passed that too then it adds to the funding of the project. If it had been refused then they still get what they are looking for and the naysayers go home with a semblence of pride intact knowing that they have in part claimed a small victory in protecting a large proportion of the wildlife habitat.

There were a number of excruciating round and round in circles moments and it cannot be stated enough how one particular council member pushed this through while most of them would have still been debating the price of bacon still now. He needs to be bought a number of beers by every City fan. He will be outed over the next few days.

One point that was of note was that prior to the meeting two of the council committee excluded themselves from partaking due to conflicting interests due to being BCFC fans. However, a proportion of the way through the evening the question was raised by the chair as to whether any of the decision makers present had any grounds for conflicting interests and two of them both raised their hands and mentioned they were members of the Avon Wildlife Trust. This may appear outrageous as the Avon Wildlife Trust were there giving evidence againt the proposal but it was one of the two paid up members that was responsible for pressing the other councillers into pushing the proposal through.

Lastly, yay! Happy days!

I have just arrived home after being sat in the council chambers for the last five and a half hours and wanted to share a few thoughts. Obviously it is fantastic news and I think Colin and Steve have just done a superb piece of street trading. Including Southlands in the proposal was a gem of an idea. If the committee had passed that too then it adds to the funding of the project. If it had been refused then they still get what they are looking for and the naysayers go home with a semblence of pride intact knowing that they have in part claimed a small victory in protecting a large proportion of the wildlife habitat.

There were a number of excruciating round and round in circles moments and it cannot be stated enough how one particular council member pushed this through while most of them would have still been debating the price of bacon still now. He needs to be bought a number of beers by every City fan. He will be outed over the next few days.

One point that was of note was that prior to the meeting two of the council committee excluded themselves from partaking due to conflicting interests due to being BCFC fans. However, a proportion of the way through the evening the question was raised by the chair as to whether any of the decision makers present had any grounds for conflicting interests and two of them both raised their hands and mentioned they were members of the Avon Wildlife Trust. This may appear outrageous as the Avon Wildlife Trust were there giving evidence againt the proposal but it was one of the two paid up members that was responsible for pressing the other councillers into pushing the proposal through.

Lastly, yay! Happy days!

Sounds fun! seriously though thanks for going down and showing you support, I am sure there were a lot that would have liked to go like me but I had to work late - Thanks.

Just home myself.

If you were wondering who I was, I was the fool who started the evening sat in the 'opposed' section sporting my retro City shirt. Thank the lord that elderly 'naysayer' commented to my friends wife 'for a moment there I thought he was wearing a football top . . . . . '

I quickly skulked off to the back of the public gallery!

Whilst I understand that it was incredibly inconvenient to attend I was very surprised at the low turnout of City fans. Allow me to point out that it could not have been more convenient for myself to attend, working at the top of Park Street, so this is certainly not meant with any 'super fan' connotations, I was simply expecting to see College Green awash with red shirts when in reality there were probably 40 non-speaking City fans present.

Excellent speech by 'Dolly.' Well done for standing up in front of that crowd of people, some of which, among the 'Pro Otter' (not that im 'anti-Otter' mind you), were pretty darn obnoxious. Sexstone also spoke with, whether sincere or professionally, unrivalled passion and deserved his prolonged applause.

Fantastic news for the club. Southlands is a shame but not a disaster, onward and upward.

And amongst all the nonsense that has been muttered on these boards in recent times, can I just congratulate Gary Johnson {et al} for dragging this club up by it's boot straps and enabling nights like tonight to be a reality rather than a pipedream.

Excellent speech by 'Dolly.' Well done for standing up in front of that crowd of people, some of which, among the 'Pro Otter' (not that im 'anti-Otter' mind you), were pretty darn obnoxious. Sexstone also spoke with, whether sincere or professionally, unrivalled passion and deserved his prolonged applause.

Quite right. Interesting that given the ridiculous assumptions people still make about football fans that the city fans were impeccably behaved, and respectful of even the more ridiculous protestors. The same can't be said for a large minority of the protestors.

Both of the wildlife trust members voted in favour in the end.

I echo those sentiments, Dolly was probably the best speaker of the night. I thought many of thier arguments were answered before they mentioned them, leaving thier comments a little hollow. Mind you i thought at one point it was touch and go.

Was disapointed with the turn out and some of those that did attend seemed to expect a yes or no decsion in 5 mins. The young lads at the back groaned at every comment, i know it went on a bit but they seemed happy for a negative decsion if it meant that they could get home quicker. Also was this a place to bring a toddler???

Other than that a great if long night for the club, well done the media team for keeping everyone at home informed.

Roll on 2012!

Yes, very well done to those who turned up. Pretty pathetic numbers though one has to say. We get that turn out for a garden shed application in Devon.

Second the congrats to the Trust members who spoke - pretty daunting experience even for those who do it as a full time job.

SL and his team have played a blinder on this one. Well done all (just make the stadium look a bit more graceful and cutting edge could you?).

I echo those sentiments, Dolly was probably the best speaker of the night. I thought many of thier arguments were answered before they mentioned them, leaving thier comments a little hollow. Mind you i thought at one point it was touch and go.

Was disapointed with the turn out and some of those that did attend seemed to expect a yes or no decsion in 5 mins. The young lads at the back groaned at every comment, i know it went on a bit but they seemed happy for a negative decsion if it meant that they could get home quicker. Also was this a place to bring a toddler???

Other than that a great if long night for the club, well done the media team for keeping everyone at home informed.

Roll on 2012!

I was one of the lads. kind of. I did alot of groaning, but the lad next to me who was really young kept groan for the sake of it - even when progressed was being made - he obviously did'nt know what was going on and was not following....

I cant believe how much nonsense is spoken at these things, that is why I was groaning.......

Apparently because i'm a season ticket holder i wont go on the offical website..... WTF?? i go on there every day. just a example of the complete rubbish I was hearing....

Lastly, yay! Happy days!

I was thinking that was out of order, but I'm sure it's been noted by the club and could well be ammunition in any appeal.

Great result in the end though and as some have said, John Bees was a top man and seemed to have his head well screwed on. His comment about not throwing rocks as the could derailyl ythe whole thing really seemed to bring some to their senses, as I got the feeling there were some on a power trip.

Oh and fantastic speach by Mr Sextone.

There's plenty more battles to fight and we'll see plenty of ups and downs but that's a great start!

Was John Bees the gent sat next to the grey haired lady who congratulated the planning officers at the end?

Seemed to me about the only one capable of comprehending things and making a considered decision. If it had been left to the women and Joe 90 they'd still be discussing how to make a decision.

Went myself, Interesting night. Now I know why nothing ever gets down in Bristol and that is because the council want to debate ever last detail down to the size of screws used. I understand there are processes that need to be made but please why make it drag on longer than needs be, Will the extra info they require now hold the project up?

Dissapointed about Southlands, It is a enabling development like the rest so I hope BCC are happy to stump up the shortfull of 5.5 million or provide is with help in finding it. There decision to turn that down was poor and could add more money on to our ticket prices. Was dissapointed they debated a lot about minor things but just brushed Southlands aside. It was clear all along they were just going to follow the recommendation really.

Why would people sit through 3 or so hours of it and then leave?

Yes, very well done to those who turned up. Pretty pathetic numbers though one has to say. We get that turn out for a garden shed application in Devon.

Second the congrats to the Trust members who spoke - pretty daunting experience even for those who do it as a full time job.

SL and his team have played a blinder on this one. Well done all (just make the stadium look a bit more graceful and cutting edge could you?).

Would have loved to have been there but I'm at uni 300 miles away... Surprised there weren't a large following around.

Archived