IGNORED

Dirtiest England Xi Of All Time

Red_Mat

Here's the dirtiest eleven to play for England (Well, when I say 'dirty', what I mean is these are the only eleven to be sent off whilst playing for England. Amazingly, you can make a team out of it - just!):

Robert Green

Trevor Cherry

David Beckham

Alan Ball

Alan Mullery

David Batty

Paul Scholes

Paul Ince

Alan Smith

Ray Wilkins

Wayne Rooney

As you can see, I've had to go for that all-too-common 1-8-1 formation and decided that tough tackling, midfielder ball-winning nut-jobs - and David Beckham - are the order of the day.

Here's the dirtiest eleven to play for England (Well, when I say 'dirty', what I mean is these are the only eleven to be sent off whilst playing for England. Amazingly, you can make a team out of it - just!):

Robert Green

Trevor Cherry

David Beckham

Alan Ball

Alan Mullery

David Batty

Paul Scholes

Paul Ince

Alan Smith

Ray Wilkins

Wayne Rooney

As you can see, I've had to go for that all-too-common 1-8-1 formation and decided that tough tackling, midfielder ball-winning nut-jobs - and David Beckham - are the order of the day.

Good post Mat.

Has Mullery just stopped dyeing his hair?

Saw him on Sky Sports last week and his hair had turned completely white, quite a contrast to most of the panellists etc. whose hair seems to get darker and darker. :innocent06:

One or two of them have hair which seems blacker than humanly possible. :noexpression:

Don't you think it's unbelievable/ridiculous that of all the dirty, hard-case, psycho, nut-jobs that have played for England for the years, which include Alan Mullery, Norbert Stiles, Norman Hunter, Stuart Pearce (his nickname was psycho!), David Batty, Steve McMahon, Peter Reid, Paul Ince, Franny Lee, Neil Ruddock (1 cap!), Tommy Smith (1 cap also!), etc, etc., the only player to have been sent off twice during that time (over 100 years of international football) is the powder-puff Posh-lovin', celebrity/fashion-whore David Beckham?!

Does that demonstrate how actually hard the Beckham really is!? Or just how it's become more and more difficult to challenge for the ball without a) the opposition rolling around in agony like they've been shot by a sniper behind the grassy knoll at the mere hint of a tackle, or b) FIFA and every single ref getting so jumped up and full of themselves, whilst thinking that, actually, they're the star of the show who all the fans pay to come and watch, and that booking/sending off players purely for the orgasmic pleasure of it is just what the fans want!?!

I dunno.

Good post Mat.

Has Mullery just stopped dyeing his hair?

Saw him on Sky Sports last week and his hair had turned completely white, quite a contrast to most of the panellists etc. whose hair seems to get darker and darker. :innocent06:

One or two of them have hair which seems blacker than humanly possible. :noexpression:

Saw him on their recently along with Frank McLintock when they were talking about the Arse-Spurs derby and Mullery was like the annoying uncle who's jokes aren't funny and just don't make any sense, the one who you have to pleasant to and put up with because you've got no choice - he's family.

Frank looked like he was struggling to stay sane and diplomatic with him. He clearly just wanted to say, "What the hell are you talking about, Alan!? Arsenal will wipe the floor with Spurs, Mullery, you IDIOT! Now go to Specsavers and get a decent pair of glasses", before slapping him round his flabby chops.

Saw him on their recently along with Frank McLintock when they were talking about the Arse-Spurs derby and Mullery was like the annoying uncle who's jokes aren't funny and just don't make any sense, the one who you have to pleasant to and put up with because you've got no choice - he's family.

Frank looked like he was struggling to stay sane and diplomatic with him. He clearly just wanted to say, "What the hell are you talking about, Alan!? Arsenal will wipe the floor with Spurs, Mullery, you IDIOT! Now go to Specsavers and get a decent pair of glasses", before slapping him round his flabby chops.

I'm quite shocked by your malevolent outburst Mat, I quite like Mullery.

A very down to earth, ordinary sort of bloke for a former England international who had a very successful career.

He also played in the first City game I've got clear memories about attending at AG, the Dec. 1970 league cup semi final first leg.

Guess he must be well into his 60's now so my tongue in cheek comment about his snowy thatch was perhaps a bit unfair.

I DO like the fact he doesn't dye it like some of similar age who appear ( ridiculous) on Sky.

wahay, :laugh:

thought that would be the first choice, didnt even get mentioned.

beckham, dirty? he got a red card at the world cup n that was like, it. and how is rob green dirty?

I'll refer the honourable gentleman to my previous comment in my inital thread, which was thus:

"Well, when I say 'dirty', what I mean is these are the only eleven to be sent off whilst playing for England. Amazingly, you can make a team out of it - just!"

In other words, I noticed there were 11 players sent off whilst playing for England, one of whom was a goalie (Rob Green), so I was sad enough to try and make a team out of it! Yes, there are far dirtier players to have represented England, as I've pointed out since.

Feel free to add your own team with your own 'dirty' criteria! :read:

I'm quite shocked by your malevolent outburst Mat, I quite like Mullery.

A very down to earth, ordinary sort of bloke for a former England international who had a very successful career.

He also played in the first City game I've got clear memories about attending at AG, the Dec. 1970 league cup semi final first leg.

Guess he must be well into his 60's now so my tongue in cheek comment about his snowy thatch was perhaps a bit unfair.

I DO like the fact he doesn't dye it like some of similar age who appear ( ridiculous) on Sky.

You're right, I was a little harsh on the Mullery; he just came across as rather annoying. And some of his 'expert' viewpoints don't come across as the most intelligent or liberal... Perhaps he's not quite that bad, though. As I say, a bit like that annoying uncle!?

You're right, I was a little harsh on the Mullery; he just came across as rather annoying. And some of his 'expert' viewpoints don't come across as the most intelligent or liberal... Perhaps he's not quite that bad, though. As I say, a bit like that annoying uncle!?

It's occurred to me that I've now reached the stage of being "the annoying uncle who's jokes aren't funny" ( even though they really are very funny :rofl2br: ) rather than the irritated nephew I might have been at one time, so that probably influences my opinion of Mullery.

I don't think anyone could really take exception to him though, unless he's actually your Dad's brother Mat? :dunno:

Archived