IGNORED

Gj To Scotland?

cheese

Why not? Previous international experience - there must be some scottish in there somewhere cos LJ is eligible to play.

I know - they'll go for some Italian as is the fashion these days but he could change his name to Giorgio Johnsonio. :noexpression:

Why not? Previous international experience - there must be some scottish in there somewhere cos LJ is eligible to play.

I know - they'll go for some Italian as is the fashion these days but he could change his name to Giorgio Johnsonio. :noexpression:

Why drop down a level?!

I believe it's Mrs Johnson that's the Scot, maybe she can do it! :dancing6:

Why drop down a level?!

I fBurley thought he can leave out Macca, Carkson and Hartley then he deserves to lose his job. I found it funny his reason for leaving out Hartley was for the long term, how arrogant and slack was that? Scotland has not won a game in years and his job was hanging by a thread anyways, yet he still thought it more appropriate to think more about the future than the now, pfft, proves what a joker he is, Oh and GJ to Scotland, pull the other one, they cant afford him and you say drop doon a level, frankly i think he would be dropping down a dirty great ditch filled with piss and crap.

I don't mind Scotland, although i think Burley was a poor poor choice, love our Scottish players and hope they are smug as fork about him being sacked, i would be. Hopefully now they can get a chance again.

Graeme Souness said it all in an interview. Scotland is currently experiencing a vacuum of international level talent. Doesn`t matter if Burley kept the job or whoever takes over, the post of Scotland team manager is currently a poisoned chalice.

PDG

Its true. I think the SFA needs to restructure itself, Scotland are nowhere atm which is sad, I remember watching them play England at Wembly some years ago and they beat us 1-0, the few scots there made the most noise i've ever heard from football fans, they were terrific. they don't deserve this, the SFA has a lot to answre for, but we should take note, England could go the same way unless we sort ourselves out. our own FA has its hands tied in so many areas, soon we wont be able to make the decisions that move us forward, only backwards like the poor Scotts.

Thats what I thought, but I recall that Walter Smith's contract expires in january and rangers may not be able to afford his wages......

The new owners at Birmingham might not think McLeish is a big enough name for them so he could be off next month?

28% win ratio as an international manager - sounds a perfect fit for the Jocks!

You are of course jesting cheese...

Graeme Souness said it all in an interview. Scotland is currently experiencing a vacuum of international level talent. Doesn`t matter if Burley kept the job or whoever takes over, the post of Scotland team manager is currently a poisoned chalice.

PDG

They might be lacking world-class players the likes of which seemed to be two-a-penny back in Souness's day - no more Gemmils, Dalglishes, Hansens, McCoists, Strachans, Jordans or indeed Sounesses - however, they do have a number of players playing regularly in the top two divisions in this country and in Scotland, and a decent manager who can bring these players together to get them to play as a team (as happened with Walter Smith and Alex McLeish), could have a very good team.

Burley was not this man. He needed every player available to him, however he seemed to upset too many people along the way and losing one or two quality players in Scotland is a disaster for them. If we lost a Gerrard or a Lennon, we've got a Joe Cole or a Theo Walcott to take over. So for him to then, on top of that, decide to leave out players such as Hartley and say he was looking to the future was insane!

He clearly felt the Wales example was applicable to him, too. Wales, though, are more understanding and don't expect to qualify for every tournament like Scotland. Wales also have some fantastic youngsters coming through like Aaron Ramsey and the Cardiff kids, and it was then easy for Toshack to ditch the likes of Robbie Savage. Scotland don't have any fantastic youngsters coming through.

However, when Scotland struggle to hold onto McLeish and fend off the challenge of Birmingham City, they're always going to struggle to find a decent manager. Ideally, they'd want to try and attract Ferguson snr, Moyes, Strachan or maybe even George Graham. They're far more likely to end up with Mark McGee.

28% win ratio as an international manager - sounds a perfect fit for the Jocks!

You are of course jesting cheese...

Yep - it's a slow week with no game. I just wish GJ would announce that LJ is back in the team for West Brom then we could get some lively debate going again!!

I fBurley thought he can leave out Macca, Carkson and Hartley then he deserves to lose his job. I found it funny his reason for leaving out Hartley was for the long term, how arrogant and slack was that?

Does that mean GJ is insane for leaving out Hartley against Barnsley and Wednesday? Clarkson has hardly played for Months, and Macca is a very ordinary left back, so no shock to see them left out. As for trying younger players, surely friendlies is the time to do that.

Whilst I can't see it happening, GJ might be what Scotland need, a strong manager who can organise a group of modest players into an effective team. And if Lee is "Scottish"......

Does that mean GJ is insane for leaving out Hartley against Barnsley and Wednesday? Clarkson has hardly played for Months, and Macca is a very ordinary left back, so no shock to see them left out. As for trying younger players, surely friendlies is the time to do that.

Whilst I can't see it happening, GJ might be what Scotland need, a strong manager who can organise a group of modest players into an effective team. And if Lee is "Scottish"......

While I tend to agree that McAllister isnt the best left back we have ever had at City, there is no overlooking that he is currently in the best form I have seen him in his time here and based on recent displays I think he deserves a chance in the Scotland Squad.

The same for Hartley too. He has been class for us and I while Burley claimed he has been thinking of the future by leaving Hartley out, to me thats stupid. If someone is in good form and can do a job for you now, then you need them.

Scotland would welcome GJ with open arms - a manager who managed to get a draw with San Marino when in charge of Latvia (albeit Latvia have high standards and they sacked him for that).

If GJ took over and managed to get Scotland a draw with San Marino he would become a Scottish legend and hero overnight alongside the likes of Robbie Burns, John Logie Baird, Alexander Graham Bell, Billy Connoly, Gerry Gow, Kenny Dalglish, Jimmy Johnstone, Rab C Nesbitt, Alcoholism and Deep Fried Mars Bar.

Craig Burley said today that Scotland's players were too stupid to understand what George Burley wanted to do. This prompted the Guardian's (excellent) email the Fiver to come up with the following, which right tickled I:

"Thus we can deduce that the fault was with Burley, who must be "too intelligent", or "not thick enough" for the job. So the SFA's most important task now is to find someone stupid enough to replace him. Fortunately, they've got a job only a fool would accept. Thus, whoever is prepared to accept the job is the right man for it.

According to our logic, that means Scotland's next manager is guaranteed to succeed. This would make accepting the job quite a wise decision. Anyone capable of wisdom, however, is certain to fail. "

Impossible task, hey?

While it is true that Scotland do not have the talent that they once did, this is a team who very narrowly missed out on qualifying for Euro 2008 in the same group as Italy, France and Ukraine under McLeish and Smith. They go from that to once more narrowly missing out from at least getting 2nd in a group which contains sides like Macedonia, Iceland and to an extent Norway!

Archived