IGNORED

What If There Was No City?

SecretSam

I find the whole idea rather stressful.

A better way to do it would be to close down Rovers, and announce that there is now only one team in Bristol. "Bristol City" seems like an apt name for the new club as it represents the city of Bristol. Oh and we could move to a brand new Stadium at Ashton Vale.

If City and Rovers had never exsisted and all we had ever known was a Bristol United then of course i would suport them... Weather we like to admitt it or not we would probably be a more succesful club and have a bigger fan base etc.

City and Rovers merging to form a Bristol United is totally different issue thou, never in a million years would i support them!

Another vote for Torquay United.

Seem to be a few reds casually supporting the Gulls. Spent a match a couple of years ago talking with another City supporter (with a far better golf handicap than moi!). Haven't been back for a season or so though after they threw a two goal lead against the Sags. Plonkers.

Exeter or Plymuff could be back ups.

I remember being faced with this as a real possibility in the pub before the game at Newport when we all thought we really were about to witness Bristol City's last match.

The general concensus was we'd have no interest in actively watching League football and there would just be a huge void. :crying:

...occasionally, the spectre of a "Bristol United" raises its head...if City no longer existed, would you support AN other team, or sit down with the Gas to cheer for a single Bristol team?

It dont think it could ever be branded a 'United' for obvious history reasons. It could capture the imagination if someone new came in, bought City and Rovers, took City's league position, built a brand new stadium, called themselves Bristol, played in all White perhaps....? May get enough support from existing City and Rovers (even though they may not admit it) plus some new follk.

Personally I'm not convinced, if it did happen, I'm probably too long in the tooth to change, I'd pursue my 33 long quest to get my golf handicap into single figures! :grr:

Archived