IGNORED

Gary Ablett On Ribeiro

always hoping

Stockport Manager Ablett has very been complementry about Christian's Ribeiro performances in his first 2 games. He appears to be one of their main outlets and attacking options offering plenty of width going forward, with lots of crosses from the byeline in both games.

http://www.stockportcounty.com/articles/ga...85563~1,00.html (use standard B city password)

Ablett very grateful that GJ has let him join Stockport on loan, likely to look to try and extend loan.

1st team experience being gained which can only help his development and hopefully provide future options for City.

A good start.

That's good, he can come back fit and raring to go for the reserves until the next loan spell.

Whilst you will no doubt upset a few you have hit on a point. As long as these lads like Wilson, Akinde and Ribiero PERFORM at League 1 level then the "inexperienced" and "wet behind the ears" excuse can no longer be used once they return to us. These lads MUST be challenging for a first team place when they get back otherwise you have to question why we are:

1) Paying them a wage

2) Funding an Academy

Whilst you will no doubt upset a few you have hit on a point. As long as these lads like Wilson, Akinde and Ribiero PERFORM at League 1 level then the "inexperienced" and "wet behind the ears" excuse can no longer be used once they return to us. These lads MUST be challenging for a first team place when they get back otherwise you have to question why we are:

1) Paying them a wage

2) Funding an Academy

Completely agree.

Akinde and J.Wilson both did really well in league two last season and now need to show the same sort of form in league one, if they do there will be no good reason why they shouldn't be in contention for a place on the bench at least.

This is Ribeiro's first loan spell, he simply needs a run of league games and then likewise a good spell for him should see Christian at least in front of Brian Wilson for first team contention.

Stockport Manager Ablett has very been complementry about Christian's Ribeiro performances in his first 2 games. He appears to be one of their main outlets and attacking options offering plenty of width going forward, with lots of crosses from the byeline in both games.

http://www.stockportcounty.com/articles/ga...85563~1,00.html (use standard B city password)

Ablett very grateful that GJ has let him join Stockport on loan, likely to look to try and extend loan.

1st team experience being gained which can only help his development and hopefully provide future options for City.

A good start.

Didn't realise before that the Player subscription would allow access to other clubs' clips. That makes it even better value for money!

Orr has been at the top of his form this season, in my opinion, has a terrific work-rate, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Ribeiro as first choice RB next season with Orr moving on to a 'bigger 'club.

My cynicism only got one 'yawn'! I just think that City need to decide whether we have an Academy, or rely on bringing players in. When short of centre-backs, we loan Wilson to Brentford, and with our 2 experienced right-backs injured, we loan Ribiero to Stockport. Exactly how long do these guys have to 'learn' before they get a crack at first-team football? Most other Clubs seem happy to play their youngsters, accepting that occasionally, they will have a poor game, and they will need breaks. (I can think of a few first team regulars having more than the odd bad game lately!) And then if they do progress, you get the prospect of a large cheque as they move upwards.

I would suggest that our current policy is just unsustainable. A large squad of quite highly paid pros, an Academy costing around £500K a year, products of Academy not given a look in, even in pointless end of season games (That was inexcusable!), spending quite a bit of cash in the transfer market, and as a result, losing money at an alarming rate. At the moment, I would not recommend the City Academy to any talented youngster - If you make it through, you will just get years of reserve football and loan spells before the inevitable release.

Cardiff City are surely the obvious example of how to get the best from an academy. You only have to look at their products over the last few seasons:

- Aaron Ramsey - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 16 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£4.8m to Arsenal (plus a hefty sell on I'd guess)

- Chris Gunter - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 28 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£2m to Tottenham (sell on again? obviously)

- James Collins - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 66 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£3.5m to West Ham (sell on again no doubt)

- Joe Ledley - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 213 appearances - CURRENT VALUATION probably around the £5m mark

- Cameron Jerome and Rob Earnshaw are also ones who were thrown in at 18 and made big impacts, resulting in big money moves

Surely teams like Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham, are only interested in buying young talent (in most cases) when they're pre-20 because they know they can still develop this talent further. Hence Cardiff have recognised this and blood their youngsters at a very young age, showcasing their talent at a very decent level and allowing the player to develop at this level.

Personally, I felt very disappointed to see Christian Ribero go to Stockport on loan. Bradley Orr's injury was the PERFECT opportunity to give the lad a couple of games at first team level. Skuse is clearly not a right-back, so this IMO was the time to do it. And lets be honest, he'd be better off playing in a losing team for City (at WBA), rather than a losing team for Stockport (home to Exeter) any day!!!

I just feel that the use of the academy is all wrong and has been for a long time. I think we leave it too late to blood youngsters from the academy. Cardiff's model of progression into the first team set-up, rather than loans to lower League 1 and 2 sides, seems to make sense both for the player AND financially for the club.

Cardiff are a good example of how to produce young kids.....

But it begs the question, where has all there ££££ gone??

there broke but they have made loads selling there youngsters.....

Maybe they run their academy at a high cost

Cardiff City are surely the obvious example of how to get the best from an academy. You only have to look at their products over the last few seasons:

- Aaron Ramsey - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 16 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£4.8m to Arsenal (plus a hefty sell on I'd guess)

- Chris Gunter - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 28 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£2m to Tottenham (sell on again? obviously)

- James Collins - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 66 appearances - SOLD FOR c.£3.5m to West Ham (sell on again no doubt)

- Joe Ledley - 1st team debut at the age of 17 (having not been out on loan), 213 appearances - CURRENT VALUATION probably around the £5m mark

- Cameron Jerome and Rob Earnshaw are also ones who were thrown in at 18 and made big impacts, resulting in big money moves

Surely teams like Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham, are only interested in buying young talent (in most cases) when they're pre-20 because they know they can still develop this talent further. Hence Cardiff have recognised this and blood their youngsters at a very young age, showcasing their talent at a very decent level and allowing the player to develop at this level.

Personally, I felt very disappointed to see Christian Ribero go to Stockport on loan. Bradley Orr's injury was the PERFECT opportunity to give the lad a couple of games at first team level. Skuse is clearly not a right-back, so this IMO was the time to do it. And lets be honest, he'd be better off playing in a losing team for City (at WBA), rather than a losing team for Stockport (home to Exeter) any day!!!

I just feel that the use of the academy is all wrong and has been for a long time. I think we leave it too late to blood youngsters from the academy. Cardiff's model of progression into the first team set-up, rather than loans to lower League 1 and 2 sides, seems to make sense both for the player AND financially for the club.

Unfortunately, it has to be said that Cardiff City's Academy p1$$e$ all over Bristol City's in terms of PRODUCING FOOTBALLERS WHO ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY AT A HIGH PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. You missed out Danny Gabbidon who was also sold to West Ham and Adam Matthews who is currently in the Cardiff City first team.

Unfortunately, it has to be said that Cardiff City's Academy p1$$e$ all over Bristol City's in terms of PRODUCING FOOTBALLERS WHO ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY AT A HIGH PROFESSIONAL LEVEL. You missed out Danny Gabbidon who was also sold to West Ham and Adam Matthews who is currently in the Cardiff City first team.

Riberio should be in first team.........he would provide the flair and pace we need from left wing back to make 5 man defence work......

we need to create more chances by getting decent ball in from wide and he is one who would do just that

My cynicism only got one 'yawn'! I just think that City need to decide whether we have an Academy, or rely on bringing players in. When short of centre-backs, we loan Wilson to Brentford, and with our 2 experienced right-backs injured, we loan Ribiero to Stockport. Exactly how long do these guys have to 'learn' before they get a crack at first-team football? Most other Clubs seem happy to play their youngsters, accepting that occasionally, they will have a poor game, and they will need breaks. (I can think of a few first team regulars having more than the odd bad game lately!) And then if they do progress, you get the prospect of a large cheque as they move upwards.

I would suggest that our current policy is just unsustainable. A large squad of quite highly paid pros, an Academy costing around £500K a year, products of Academy not given a look in, even in pointless end of season games (That was inexcusable!), spending quite a bit of cash in the transfer market, and as a result, losing money at an alarming rate. At the moment, I would not recommend the City Academy to any talented youngster - If you make it through, you will just get years of reserve football and loan spells before the inevitable release.

I agree, but Gary has gone on record as saying young players need to get 60-70 games under their belts. Before he can trust them.

So i guess the loan system is the only corse of action.

How many seasons would it take Ribiero to reach that total at Bristol City !!!!!

A good start.

What does Ablett know, its not like he played in defence for any one good is it? :noexpression:

I agree, but Gary has gone on record as saying young players need to get 60-70 games under their belts. Before he can trust them.

Looking at most other Clubs, Gary is in a minority of 1 amongst Managers! And how exactly do they get these games, continual loans? Personally, I just think that is an absolute load of bullocks to justify ignoring our Academy players.

How many seasons would it take Ribiero to reach that total at Bristol City !!!!!

How many games did Adam Matthews (now a rumoured target for Man Utd), Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Joe Ledley, Rob Earnshaw, Cameron Jerome, Daniel Gabbidon and James Collins have "under their belts" before they were given a shot at first team action 45 miles down the motorway?

GJ has done excellent things for this club and his overall record cannot be criticised but if he has one weakness it is surely the "caution" he exercises in both team selection and style of play. Blooding the odd youngster occasionally gives most, not all, supporters a bit of feel good factor. Many of us love to see a youngster given a go every now and again. As others have said GJ blew a perfect opportunity at the ar$e-end of last season when the club was literally going nowhere and vital experience for these lads could have been given to them instead of continuing to play people who are either no longer connected with or interested in playing for the club.

I entirely understand the argument about not playing kids who would be miles out of their depth (Plummer and Jackson perhaps) but the likes of Wilson, Ribiero, Artus and Wilson simply do not fall into that category.

how the bloody hell can 60/70 games in league 1or 2 compere with championship football ???????? .The 2nd team fixtures are piss-poor enough as stated Cardiff City really show citys academy up ,years of being loaned out before being shipped out to non league football how many years can a young player still be called promising to me the academy seems a awful drain on finance for little reward.

Cardiff are a good example of how to produce young kids.....

But it begs the question, where has all there ££££ gone??

there broke but they have made loads selling there youngsters.....

Maybe they run their academy at a high cost

Their new stadium would be wild guess! We run our acadamy at a high cost of £2m a year, and GJ chooses to ignore it, because he doesn't want to take the risk of unproven young players, coz ultimately his neck is on the line if they fail.

Or he may also be a good judge, and they may not be good enough, if that's the case, why doesn't he sack the acadamy staff and get some coaches in which will produce the players he can use with confidence, rather than relying on 'the chairmans' cash for signings.

Their new stadium would be wild guess! We run our acadamy at a high cost of £2m a year, and GJ chooses to ignore it, because he doesn't want to take the risk of unproven young players, coz ultimately his neck is on the line if they fail.

Or he may also be a good judge, and they may not be good enough, if that's the case, why doesn't he sack the acadamy staff and get some coaches in which will produce the players he can use with confidence, rather than relying on 'the chairmans' cash for signings.

Well done that man, but can you really see it changing !!!!

Archived