IGNORED

Pele Talks Sense

cityhead

Just heard Pele gve an interview where he played down the France handball as just a linesman/referee mistake.

However, he made a great point imo regarding beating several opposition players, being one on one with the keeper, a defender fouls him (not necessarily the last defender), being denied a goalscoring opportunity, getting the free kick, thegame is stopped for several minutes while the referee orchestrates the defensive wall thus taking away the advantage from the attack to the defence, and also then having to face a wall of defenders in order to score.

UEFA/FIFA should ban walls and pass the advantage back to the attacking team. Agree or dissagree?

• Admin
how would you in force that though?

Would you say right, three or more players standing next to each other in a line within a few feet is a wall?

One way would be to offer the attacking team the choice of taking a traditional free-kick (with wall et al) so they can float a ball in to be won in the air, or they could be offered the choice of a direct shot at goal where no player (barring the goalkeeper) is allowed nearer the goal-line than the ball itself (so a similar-ish situation to a penalty but further out).

Difficult to enforce I agree, but like Ian,s thoughts.

Nobody between goal and ball except keeper. That way, a direct shot could either result in a goal, keeper saves or keeper punches and then all hell breaks lose as every body tries to recover possession. OR, more invention by the attackers to create a goal.

Either way, alot more excitement and get the game moving quicker ad provides an advantage to the attacking team, which it shold do.

Just heard Pele gve an interview where he played down the France handball as just a linesman/referee mistake.

However, he made a great point imo regarding beating several opposition players, being one on one with the keeper, a defender fouls him (not necessarily the last defender), being denied a goalscoring opportunity, getting the free kick, thegame is stopped for several minutes while the referee orchestrates the defensive wall thus taking away the advantage from the attack to the defence, and also then having to face a wall of defenders in order to score.

UEFA/FIFA should ban walls and pass the advantage back to the attacking team. Agree or dissagree?

Looking at another scenario, a defending team may have eleven men in the box and the attacking team have one player with four defenders around him, he's also right on the edge of the box with his back to goal, right next to the by-line and the ref deems a foul has occurred on him.

How can a direct free kick (a penalty) be awarded and thus take away the bad angle the attacker was at, removing all of the defenders who were in the way? I know it's the rules, but it weighs very heavily in the attackers favour - doesn't seem too fair to me.

Guest zider_head

its simple really this has been a amazing game for years, its only lately with the common day cheats and money invloved that we see the following :-

Elbows

Spitting

Diving

Faking Injury

Time Wasting (to a obvious extent)

This is down to the players pretty much and the fatc that fifa / fa dont do anything really to stop them.

I think if we used the same rules as rugby the game would improve so much i.e

No abuse of the ref (stright red if so, would soon stop them)

Only captains can talk to ref and vice versa (anyone else stright red)

Citing after games by a panel of refs and ex players (to ban players for cheating, diving etc)

Im not a fan of the video ref idea as it stops the flow I feel and its what makes footie etc

But we need to sort these chilidish brats out soon, yes I mean Rooney (greta player but he needs to let his feet do the talking) Ferdinand, Ronaldo, A Cole, Terry

These players have no RESPECT

Can you imagine Martin Johnson, Johnny Wilkinson or Justin Leonard ever doing that ?

The game dont need changing the respect and law abding does and the only way to do that is ban them fines mean nothing to people on 100k a week.

We also must ensure all 92 teams are under the fa not the welsh fa have never understood that, if they dont like it please leave.

Closing point, did you ever see the following cheat, dive, chase a ref :-

Moore

Banks

Shilton

Pearce

Lineker

Charlton

Law

Best

Its only the last 15 years or so (since Klinsman showed us lot how to dive etc) that the game has slowly lost its head.

Drogba is the worst going in the prem now Ronaldo has gone, he is a big bloke who went down the other day like he had been shot and then electocuted no need, embarrassing. I would also ban players who show cards in the air etc.

We could learn alot from rugby....

Ps, I know we cheated really but you have to play to the whilste still we didnt go out the way to cheat etc plus it was Warnock :laugh:

We could learn alot from rugby....

Top point.

Half the problem in football though is that the referee isn't a strong enough or imposing enough figure to demand respect from players. It goes all the way down to sunday league. If you've got some fat dude who hardly keeps up with play and acts like he can't be bothered then will the players be bothered to show him respect? The answer is obviously no. When we look at the highest level of the game, the referees are too soft for their own good at times and don't draw the line that they must have between them and the two sets of teams.

In my rugby playing days I was brought up to recognise that the referee's word is final and that whatever the referee says goes. If you disagree with it, you keep it to yourself or you get an early shower and there is no other way about it. Generally from my experience Rugby officials at grass roots level make by far more of an effort than in football and generally sport a better image for their game than their footballing counterparts. And then with Rugby at the highest level it is evident to anyone that the referee shall not be challenged unless you want trouble.

Guest zider_head

I can see what your saying people never used to push "Pierluigi Collina" about, he was a great ref

Its all about respect, but it works both ways, I feel top to bottom would help the grass roots

Archived