IGNORED

Trevor Tainton

REDOXO

# Name Career Appearances

1 John Atyeo 1951 - 1966 645

2 Trevor Tainton 1967 - 1982 581

It was a long dull Thanksgiving in the colonies and whilst hoping it would end soon I took a little look at the Bristol City FC Wikepedia site.

While going through it, noting the references to a certain supporters club chairman's comments and wondering if it was really necessary, I chanced upon a stat that made me sit up and think through the haze of cranberry and turkey.

Trevor Tainton's name rarely appears among the names of city legends that are banded about like rice at a wedding on this forum and I would like to just throw out a few things that are note-worthy for those of us in particular of a certain generation.

As the stats above speak for themselves I will remind some and enlighten others as to Mr. Tainton

Trevor plied his trade chiefly as a winger and on rare occasion as an emergency forward/full-back for this club for 15 years. He rarely argued with ref he rarely went for a ball that he didn't think he could win and was a true gentleman and model professional.

He was for the entire time of Alan Dicks reign at this club the first (or one of the first) on the team sheet due to his commitment his skill his speed and quickness of thought a player of true class.

Trevor was never going to have the sheer cheek of Keith Fear, the skill of Clive Whitehead, the audacity of Ernie Hunt or the bloody mindedness of Gerry Gow, however he outlasted them all at our football club and when there was nothing left he cut up his contract as one of the eight players that had to go for the club to survive.

So I suppose I would ask the next time we speak of all time heroes/greats/legends we spare a little thought for Trevor a true great of this football club and maybe one day a permanent reminder of one form or another can be dedicated to the guy (maybe even before he turns his toes up)...Thanks for the memories Trevor and as I note there is no wkepedia site for you (that contains anything about you) maybe someone could add a few facts for the boy who is a true bloody hero at this club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Tainton

Still have his Garland, Galley, Gow and Gibsons names in felt tip on an old metal tool box of mine :blush: just something I did back then; seem also to have vague recolections of seeing him and Garland on the train on the way back from a game, with Chelsea? was it :dunno: anyway great City players how many of todays journey men would come close? Carey and ? Tinman recently?

Jimmy Mann, Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton and Clive Whitehead?

What a midfield that was!

Trevor always seemed to be the quiet one of the 4 but was a superb player and held his own in the top flight.

Great servant to the club and (on the rare occasion I had the pleasure to meet him) a nice bloke.

One of the few that genuinely does deserve the words 'City legend'!

Jimmy Mann, Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton and Clive Whitehead?

What a midfield that was!

Trevor always seemed to be the quiet one of the 4 but was a superb player and held his own in the top flight.

Great servant to the club and (on the rare occasion I had the pleasure to meet him) a nice bloke.

One of the few that genuinely does deserve the words 'City legend'!

Cashley,Sweeney,Drysdale,Gow,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Ritchie,Mann,Cheesley,Whitehead sub Gillies!

all legends!

Cashley,Sweeney,Drysdale,Gow,Collier,Merrick,Tainton,Ritchie,Mann,Cheesley,Whitehead sub Gillies!

all legends!

I don't want to upset anybody but I would not include Collier in this list.

Although he was an integral part ofthe promotion team, he was also part of the reason the club deteriated financially. He was the first player to take advantage of freedom of contract which resulted in Dolman and Dicks offering lucrative and long term contracts to our best players.

So,whilst I am gratefull for his contribution legendary statuswill not be applied by me as he showed no loyalty imo.

Trevor Tainton an excellent example of what he lacked in certain areas always gave 100% - legend.

Frequented the same haidresser as me in Westbury Park. What a claim to fame. Got the entire squad's autographs of that era on a team photo when the City coach broke down outside my parent's house- still up in the loft somewhere. Them were the days.

I don't want to upset anybody but I would not include Collier in this list.

Although he was an integral part ofthe promotion team, he was also part of the reason the club deteriated financially. He was the first player to take advantage of freedom of contract which resulted in Dolman and Dicks offering lucrative and long term contracts to our best players.

So,whilst I am gratefull for his contribution legendary statuswill not be applied by me as he showed no loyalty imo.

Trevor Tainton an excellent example of what he lacked in certain areas always gave 100% - legend.

Wont offend me bruvver.

Gary was a great player and a personal favourite of mine who ended up in obscurity due to the Coventry move. I wonder if he had his time again if he would have altered a few of his decisions.

Lets be fair he was a young man being offered the world, how was anyone to know what the outcome would be for us. However, I take the point and so perhaps would he!

Anyway back to Trevor

Archived