IGNORED

Ok, Calm Down And Answer This...

andy g

Yes, todays result was disappointing - losing a match like that is always going to seem cruel.

But, take a moment to calm down, stop lashing out at players, the manager etc and try to think of a solution to our achilles heel - the late goal.

Since the end of last season we've simply let in far too many, but I can't see how that is the fault of any one player or formation. It seems a bit much to simply be luck though.

So what's the reason ? Is it a lack of fitness ? I doubt that.

I think the answer can only be that it's psychological. The players are letting in late goals because of a lack of confidence in their ability to close games out.

So what's the solution ?

Yes, todays result was disappointing - losing a match like that is always going to seem cruel.

But, take a moment to calm down, stop lashing out at players, the manager etc and try to think of a solution to our achilles heel - the late goal.

Since the end of last season we've simply let in far too many, but I can't see how that is the fault of any one player or formation. It seems a bit much to simply be luck though.

I think the answer can only be that it's psychological. The players are letting in late goals because of a lack of confidence in their ability to close games out.

So what's the solution ?

The late goal was not our achilles heel.

Our achilles heel was playing a center half out of his depth.

Playing two midgets up front (ok i know we have no height). Passes to these midgets well above their heads .

No width.

Players playing out of position.

Players loaned out to gain experience, when maybe they could be getting experience here.

The reason we're so exposed to a late goal is because in the las 10 minutes of a game we are almost always found to be drawing, chasing an equaliser or clinging on for dear life to a one goal advantage with an 11 man rearguard action.

If we performed better in the first 80 minutes we wouldn't be in that situation.

When they say "you make your own luck" this is what they mean.

The reason we're so exposed to a late goal is because in the las 10 minutes of a game we are almost always found to be drawing, chasing an equaliser or clinging on for dear life to a one goal advantage with an 11 man rearguard action.

If we performed better in the first 80 minutes we wouldn't be in that situation.

Exactly. Conceding a late goal is irrelevant if you are already two goals up. Indeed the opposition are less likely to score late goal because they will have given up.

Playing four central midfielders in midfield means you are unlikely to get many goals. Especially if those midfielders don't get past the forwards.

In our first season in the championship we weren't scoring many goals. But we were holding on for results. What's changed to make us more vulnerable in the last ten ?

So what's the solution ?

Mostly down to the safety first tatics there are so many times when we do not have a single player in the oppositions half the aimless punt anywhere that comes straight back ,today was a utter shambles a team with 1 win in 9 that was among the worst i have seen this season and do we go at them no. Our counter attack is so slow always waiting for enough players to move up ,the winner today was almost unreal and even by our late goal standards awful but the pace and finish saw the defence fall away . The old saying of being most vulnerable when you have scored certainly bit today, but until the mindset changes and we get away from playing not to concede which now no longer works more late goals and chucking points away will continue,we are no West Bromwich which fans accept but the squad at the moment appears to have at times no balance and some players are clearly not up to the standard required. I blame poor tatics and basic poor mistakes .

In our first season in the championship we weren't scoring many goals. But we were holding on for results. What's changed to make us more vulnerable in the last ten ?

We are hanging on much more often these days because we always have a couple of players out of position and have no balance, we're also lacking a consistent back four.

We are hanging on much more often these days because we always have a couple of players out of position and have no balance, we're also lacking a consistent back four.

This is true, but you also have to accept that in a successful team every player knows and understands his role. Now for the last 60 secs what role was our central defender playing? Striker?Centre half? Both? Might have been helpful to know.

This is true, but you also have to accept that in a successful team every player knows and understands his role. Now for the last 60 secs what role was our central defender playing? Striker?Centre half? Both? Might have been helpful to know.

Having watched the winner on TV, our central defender got a toe in to intercept the ball on the edge of our box - and therefore did his job on this occasion - but Marv had wandered away from HIS position at right back, drifting into an already well-populated centre, and passing Henderson on the way, leaving him unmarked. Just a momentary lapse of concentration (and the sort of thing that happens when players are out of their normal position) but another costly individual mistake.

The reason we're so exposed to a late goal is because in the las 10 minutes of a game we are almost always found to be drawing, chasing an equaliser or clinging on for dear life to a one goal advantage....

So, to summarise, in the last 10 minutes of a game we are almost always drawing, losing or winning.

Brilliant!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist! :innocent06: )

So, to summarise, in the last 10 minutes of a game we are almost always drawing, losing or winning.

Brilliant!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist! :innocent06: )

There's rarely more than one goal in it and when there's one goal in it we play with desparation not confidence even if we are ahead.

The late goal was not our achilles heel.

Our achilles heel was playing a center half out of his depth.

Playing two midgets up front (ok i know we have no height). Passes to these midgets well above their heads .

No width.

Players playing out of position.

Players loaned out to gain experience, when maybe they could be getting experience here.

Good post

So what's the solution ?

If we had taken the numerous chances we had in the game, the late goal would've been irrelevant.

The finishing by our forwards in both halves was poor. There were at least 3 opportunities in the game when it was easier to score than miss and we failed to take them.

Add to that the mind-boggling decision to select McCombe (who had a 'mare) in front of both Nyatanga and Fontaine and I believe you have the reasons for our loss yesterday.

So what's the solution ?

Scoring the three 1 on 1's we had, and win 5-3 like Wes Ham did!

If we had taken the numerous chances we had in the game, the late goal would've been irrelevant.

The finishing by our forwards in both halves was poor. There were at least 3 opportunities in the game when it was easier to score than miss and we failed to take them.

Add to that the mind-boggling decision to select McCombe (who had a 'mare) in front of both Nyatanga and Fontaine and I believe you have the reasons for our loss yesterday.

Well McCombe was obviously the only centre half we have capable of marking Henderson out of the game and stopping him scoring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived