IGNORED

Yesterday And Youth

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Yesterdays performance, taken as a whole, was the worst I've seen under GJ since he has got "his" players in. He has now been in charge since September 2005, so there is no legacy of previous managers, no players at the club he hasn't signed or re-signed.

Looking at his stats,he has now led us for 218 games, of which we have won 92, lost 66 and drawn 61. (or that 42% wins, 30% losses and 28% draws). I've not got time to compare these figures with other managers of similar experience, but given those figures we should be looking at 86 points per season.

This season for reasons well documented (lack of width and individual mistakes and GJ has indicated that he is looking for width) we look like falling well short of that figure, the team looks disjointed, the players yesterday wanted to pass the ball all the way to the goal, any incisiveness we had has gone AWOL. Do I think we should be looking to replace GJ, the answer to that is a big NO. He is goingto be aware that he is now under pressure from the fans and if performances continue to disappoint, he will undoubtedly come under pressure from the Chairman, the hardcore fans will attend come what may, the floating fans pick and choose, they definitely choose (as is their right) not to come when the entertainment value and the final result are poor.

In the 40+ years I've been a fan, we always seem to struggle to attract quality players, the club has traditionally been one of the higher payers, why does it remain unattractive? Location? Its been with a succession of Managers and Boards, so that doesn't hold water as an argument.

Going up to the old first division was obviously fantastic, but the most enjoyable season I've had watching was 89/90, with Bob Taylors 30 goals, attractive midfield and wing play, we felt like we were going to win every game, there was a togetherness amongst the fans.

I would hope that GJ and the players take a long hard look at themselves and try to get back to the free flowing, entertaining footnball we saw in GJ's early days, signing some width in January is an absolute essential.

Onto the youth, I hae liked what I've seen of Akinde, he has already created an inpact from the bench, I'd have liked to seen him get 20 minutes yesterday. (Yes I know he's at Wycombe) He could well create the sort of havoc in defences that Adebola did.

Wilson has rave reviews, lets get him back and blood him, some of these kids will be a third the way into their careers before they get a game for us.

Ribeiro will be 20 next month, plenty of 20 year olds already regular squad members in the Championship and Premier League, we've been consistently told of his qualities, I'm a Bradley Orr fan (as a right full back), but lets get Ribeiro back as cover.

Loaning these players out to get experience is great, but when we are short of cover, then why not ustilise them, fans will generally be more forgiving seeing a youngster giving 100% and making an error, than a seasoned pro appearing to be in cruise mode.

Surely there has to be some way of clubs getting togehter and reviving the Football Combination league, meaningful reserve games that will provide the match fitness and experince, as well as giving the fans other decent reserve teams to gauge the up and coming players against.

So, GJ in, but he now has his work cut out to address this blip which is in danger of becoming a slide and restore some exciting, free flowing and entertaining football to the Gate. This seasons home games have resulted in 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss, if we had converted 1 of those draws into wins and lost 6, we'd be on the same points, but may have been better entertained. Away its a differnt story won 1, drawn 5 and lost 3, converting 1 or 2 of those draws would have given our position a massive boost. With an incomplete formation, players not (for what ever reason) playing to the best of their ability, we are still within touching distance of the play offs, a concerted effort and a bit of luck going our way could see us back up there after the xmas games. A start would be converting some of the many chances that go begging.

Yesterdays performance, taken as a whole, was the worst I've seen under GJ since he has got "his" players in. He has now been in charge since September 2005, so there is no legacy of previous managers, no players at the club he hasn't signed or re-signed.

Looking at his stats,he has now led us for 218 games, of which we have won 92, lost 66 and drawn 61. (or that 42% wins, 30% losses and 28% draws). I've not got time to compare these figures with other managers of similar experience, but given those figures we should be looking at 86 points per season.

This season for reasons well documented (lack of width and individual mistakes and GJ has indicated that he is looking for width) we look like falling well short of that figure, the team looks disjointed, the players yesterday wanted to pass the ball all the way to the goal, any incisiveness we had has gone AWOL. Do I think we should be looking to replace GJ, the answer to that is a big NO. He is goingto be aware that he is now under pressure from the fans and if performances continue to disappoint, he will undoubtedly come under pressure from the Chairman, the hardcore fans will attend come what may, the floating fans pick and choose, they definitely choose (as is their right) not to come when the entertainment value and the final result are poor.

In the 40+ years I've been a fan, we always seem to struggle to attract quality players, the club has traditionally been one of the higher payers, why does it remain unattractive? Location? Its been with a succession of Managers and Boards, so that doesn't hold water as an argument.

Going up to the old first division was obviously fantastic, but the most enjoyable season I've had watching was 89/90, with Bob Taylors 30 goals, attractive midfield and wing play, we felt like we were going to win every game, there was a togetherness amongst the fans.

I would hope that GJ and the players take a long hard look at themselves and try to get back to the free flowing, entertaining footnball we saw in GJ's early days, signing some width in January is an absolute essential.

Onto the youth, I hae liked what I've seen of Akinde, he has already created an inpact from the bench, I'd have liked to seen him get 20 minutes yesterday. (Yes I know he's at Wycombe) He could well create the sort of havoc in defences that Adebola did.

Wilson has rave reviews, lets get him back and blood him, some of these kids will be a third the way into their careers before they get a game for us.

Ribeiro will be 20 next month, plenty of 20 year olds already regular squad members in the Championship and Premier League, we've been consistently told of his qualities, I'm a Bradley Orr fan (as a right full back), but lets get Ribeiro back as cover.

Loaning these players out to get experience is great, but when we are short of cover, then why not ustilise them, fans will generally be more forgiving seeing a youngster giving 100% and making an error, than a seasoned pro appearing to be in cruise mode.

Surely there has to be some way of clubs getting togehter and reviving the Football Combination league, meaningful reserve games that will provide the match fitness and experince, as well as giving the fans other decent reserve teams to gauge the up and coming players against.

So, GJ in, but he now has his work cut out to address this blip which is in danger of becoming a slide and restore some exciting, free flowing and entertaining football to the Gate. This seasons home games have resulted in 5 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss, if we had converted 1 of those draws into wins and lost 6, we'd be on the same points, but may have been better entertained. Away its a differnt story won 1, drawn 5 and lost 3, converting 1 or 2 of those draws would have given our position a massive boost. With an incomplete formation, players not (for what ever reason) playing to the best of their ability, we are still within touching distance of the play offs, a concerted effort and a bit of luck going our way could see us back up there after the xmas games. A start would be converting some of the many chances that go begging.

We have a problem cause GJ SAYS "performance wise that was one of our better games for a while" :noexpression: he also wants to "see if I can weed out" ( the problem of late goals)" it might take a bit of weeding"

I cant see us "back up there" anytime soon as Dec brings Ipswich h; Liecs a; Donny a; Reading h; QPR a; Watford h; cant see many easier than yesterday;

Jan dosent get any better Palace a; Preston,Cardiff h and Middles a;

i.m.o. things could get worse a lot worse and we need more than "a bit of luck"

Stop playing so narrow and buy a centre forward/winger or get ADE,mcindoe, Akinde back :noexpression: oh and play Clarkson.

There is no doubt that Johnson is not a manager that likes to bring on young players by blooding them in the first team.

This naturally begs the question why we have an Academy? Is it to produce players to sell on or is it, as I suspect, to produce players we can use in the first team?

It would appear to me that if I was a gifted teenager being chased by several clubs, the last place I would consider signing for would be City's Academy because their track record in producing regular first-teamers is appalling.

Looking at the current squad, only Carey (almost 33!) and Skuse (now 23) are products of the Academy/Youth System that are regular first teamers.

What we have to ask ourselves is, is the Academy not producing anybody good enough, or is Johnson steadfastly refusing to put youngsters into his teams? Johnson has been here four years and, from memory, the only academy products he's handed a debut to is Ribeiro, Artus and Wilson.

Totally agree about calling back Ribs and Wilson. They should both be pushing for a start at City, why continue to play McCombe when we know he is not good enough? That said Johnson is a natrually cautious and conservative manager and is unlikely to take risks, despite the fact that starting McCombe is riskier than crossing the M4 with a blindfold on.

There is no doubt that Johnson is not a manager that likes to bring on young players by blooding them in the first team.

This naturally begs the question why we have an Academy? Is it to produce players to sell on or is it, as I suspect, to produce players we can use in the first team?

It would appear to me that if I was a gifted teenager being chased by several clubs, the last place I would consider signing for would be City's Academy because their track record in producing regular first-teamers is appalling.

Looking at the current squad, only Carey (almost 33!) and Skuse (now 23) are products of the Academy/Youth System that are regular first teamers.

What we have to ask ourselves is, is the Academy not producing anybody good enough, or is Johnson steadfastly refusing to put youngsters into his teams? Johnson has been here four years and, from memory, the only academy products he's handed a debut to is Ribeiro, Artus and Wilson.

And JMW?? But agree with what you say entirely. What must Ribiero be thinking now - Orr injured, Wilson injured, and GJs response is to send him out on loan. If I was him I'd be looking for a move as soon as possible.

Why? because it doesn't support your arguement that GJ needs to drastically change?

If you expect us to get 86 points every season have 4 managers at once would disappoint you. It's not going to happen, and if you believe it should then GJ will never win and every manager might as well retire.

Best football i seen 89/90 season too, gavin flying down the wing and taylor knocking them in.......

• Admin
Why? because it doesn't support your arguement that GJ needs to drastically change?

If you expect us to get 86 points every season have 4 managers at once would disappoint you. It's not going to happen, and if you believe it should then GJ will never win and every manager might as well retire.

I didn't have time to make any comparison because I posted this before I left for work this morning, I've just got home, if I get time later I will look up some others to compare. I'm not convinced that I've argued in this post or anywhere else that GJ needs to drastically change, he himself has admitted he is looking for a player who will offer width on the left. Would blooding some of the academy players be such a drastic change? I don't think so.

I don't expect 85 points every season, it was just to highlight what his results to date have produced.

I'm totally lost about the 4 Managers at once?????

Archived