IGNORED

Haynes And Maynard - How Many Chances Do They Need ?!

Mr Mosquito

The 2-3 defeat against Sheffield United yesterday should and could have been a 5-3 victory for us had Haynes and Maynard taken a small proportion of their chances. Gary Johnson brought those two forwards to the club and they had about 10 chances between them and scored from none of them yesterday. Scoring enough goals has always been a problem for us in recent seasons and Haynes and Maynard are making the situation worse.

A brilliant display from Paul Hartley and Louis Carey yesterday let down by a crap forward line. Even Lee Johnson played out of his skin with more forward passes - that actually found our players - than I ever remember him contributing before yesterday. I'm in total shock at how Sheffield United secured all the points in the final seconds and with how many chances Haynes and Maynard squandered.

The 2-3 defeat against Sheffield United yesterday should and could have been a 5-3 victory for us had Haynes and Maynard taken a small proportion of their chances. Gary Johnson brought those two forwards to the club and they had about 10 chances between them and scored from none of them yesterday. Scoring enough goals has always been a problem for us in recent seasons and Haynes and Maynard are making the situation worse.

A brilliant display from Paul Hartley and Louis Carey yesterday let down by a crap forward line. Even Lee Johnson played out of his skin with more forward passes - that actually found our players - than I ever remember him contributing before yesterday. I'm in total shock at how Sheffield United secured all the points in the final seconds and with how many chances Haynes and Maynard squandered.

Agree with most of this but I think you can forgive Nicky an off day afer what he's done this season, at least he got in position. Sort out the defence and one day someone's gonna get a hell of a beating, hopefully starting next Saturday.

I suppose you must give their striker credit, took all 3 goals well.

Football's a cruel cruel mistress !

Spot on. Maynard and Haynes should be hanging their heads in shame today, as should the manager, who stupidly selected McCombe ahead of both Fontaine and Nyatanga.

Agree with most of this but I think you can forgive Nicky an off day afer what he's done this season, at least he got in position. Sort out the defence and one day someone's gonna get a hell of a beating, hopefully starting next Saturday.

I suppose you must give their striker credit, took all 3 goals well.

Football's a cruel cruel mistress !

Nicky is a great talent, and has scored some awesome goals this season, however, as a striker, he has lots to learn. I think its 10 he has notched? most of these have been screamers....which is great, but when it comes to sniffing around the box, 1 on 1s etc, he struggles.

Still has loads to learn

Dany Haynes is just pure raw, great pace, crap touch, bit og a headless chicken, but still a useful player

Haynes needs to play on the wing. For me he just can't shoot straight.

Haha, he's scored a few though. And he's our best chance of unlocking defences.

OP will probably get mobbed for the mere mention of dropping Maynard. I think both players are great - and they're our best forwards at the moment. Saborio isn't ready, Clarkson is really the only alternative.

To be fair, although Sheff U were shite in midfield, the rest of the team didn't play too badly.

if haynes was a natural goal scorer then ipswich wouldnt have let him go.

He isn't a killer in front of goal to be sure. But to imply players suck if teams let them go is nonsense. Look at Hartley.

Haynes floats a lot. Sometimes he's on the wing, sometimes he's in the middle. He seems to prefer to cut inside too.

his pace and skill should be used on the wing and maybe a short term solution on the left until january

And play Sproule on the right???

So one person thinks he's being played out of position and another thinks he should be played even more out of position. :whistle2:

I'm afraid I disagree with both of you. Sproule isn't good enough so we either play an unbalanced formation or we stick with 4-3-3.

And I think the team works better with a more fluid attacking style - at least until we get a left winger.

Sorry Gobbers, i usually agree with your assesment, but on Saturday and at WBA its the defence that has let us down.

One man was selected to play against Sheff utd because he's our biggest defender, and was supposed to mark their biggest forward, who scored a hat trick. Nuff said!

2 goals at home should at least earn a draw :disapointed2se:

if haynes was a natural goal scorer then ipswich wouldnt have let him go.

his pace and skill should be used on the wing and maybe a short term solution on the left until january

Not completely in agreement there. Roy Keane doesn't appear to know s*1t from pudding, so I don't think it's impossible for him to let a good one slip through the net. That said, I agree Haynes would probably be best used on the wing, because his pace can terrify defenders and make openings for others and maybe even Clarkson could get a game then!

Not completely in agreement there. Roy Keane doesn't appear to know s*1t from pudding, so I don't think it's impossible for him to let a good one slip through the net. That said, I agree Haynes would probably be best used on the wing, because his pace can terrify defenders and make openings for others and maybe even Clarkson could get a game then!

yeah your right about keane, but if anyone at ipswich thought he was capable of getting 20+ goals a season then they would surely have said 'hang on a minute roy!'.

and on a side note, guy in work who isnt a city fan but went down on saturday said about sproule changing the game when he came on. having not gone, i can only imagine that means we were really playing that badly, or he had his one in ten good game.

yeah your right about keane, but if anyone at ipswich thought he was capable of getting 20+ goals a season then they would surely have said 'hang on a minute roy!'.

and on a side note, guy in work who isnt a city fan but went down on saturday said about sproule changing the game when he came on. having not gone, i can only imagine that means we were really playing that badly, or he had his one in ten good game.

Sproule livened things up a bit. Didn't do anything actually of note though to be fair to him, he didn't see much of the ball.

Sorry Gobbers, i usually agree with your assesment, but on Saturday and at WBA its the defence that has let us down.

One man was selected to play against Sheff utd because he's our biggest defender, and was supposed to mark their biggest forward, who scored a hat trick. Nuff said!

2 goals at home should at least earn a draw :disapointed2se:

Sir, you're entitled to your opinion and you are right but we could have and should have scored more than 2 goals had Haynes and Maynard managed to convert the chances they were given. It was a defender - Carey - on the score sheet with a superb converted free kick from Hartley.

Archived