IGNORED

Let's Be Honest

cityfan

18 games into the season and it's clear to everyone who watches City that even though we are just off the play off's, which is great, it feels unlikely that we will be in the shake up playing the wrong players in the wrong positions. It stifles our play and it limits our ability to punish the opposition! When was the last time we punished the opposition?

I think Gary Johnson tries to use all his best players in the starting 11, but surely that is not the way to do it! It's about balance and harmony in playing terms. Four central midfielders is clearly all wrong and the only replacement for Orr at Right Back is either Carey or Ribiero. It is also clear to me that whoever our front two are e.g. Maynard and Haynes they don't link up and stay withing say 15 yeards of each other for knock ons and link play like the great partnership of Sheringham and Shearer for example. They were always in close proximity and therefore able to rely on each other and maximise their play. Do we not coach this to our strikers?

I also do not understand why when using Sproule as an impact player we don't make it our goal to get the ball to him as often as possible to try and cause as much mayhem as possible. Tinnion always looked for Murray and Murray was always making his run because he knew Tinnion was looking for him. We should employ the same tactics with Sproule, otherwise he has no chance of making an impact. That was the case again yesterday except for his first touch. After that, WE, City, locked him out of the game. Totally wasted.

Finally, when we need to win the game like yesterday, we should have brought on Clarkson, shouldn't we?

In summary.

Players in their natural positions

A midfield built around Hartley - This is essential and means LJ doesn't play in the same line up. Equally alongside Hartley it has to be Snow, Elliott or Skuse. I would say Skuse at the moment

Up front we should bring back John Akinde. We are looking small and lightweight up front again and Akinde offers Size, Pace and Strength as well as goals and an excellent touch on the ball. The excuses built around young players falls on deaf ears with me. Akinde deserves to at least be on the bench if not starting games. If Ribeiro is good enough for Wales, then we should play him and build up his ability in our team. Also, young Tristan Plummer can be a right handful and could play either left or right wing in my opinion, so he offers us some width if we want it. Young players need blooding in our team and

I cannot see our form dipping by playing players in their right positions and including Akinde, Ribiero and Plummer in our team or bench

Do you agree?

18 games into the season and it's clear to everyone who watches City that even though we are just off the play off's, which is great, it feels unlikely that we will be in the shake up playing the wrong players in the wrong positions. It stifles our play and it limits our ability to punish the opposition! When was the last time we punished the opposition?

I think Gary Johnson tries to use all his best players in the starting 11, but surely that is not the way to do it! It's about balance and harmony in playing terms. Four central midfielders is clearly all wrong and the only replacement for Orr at Right Back is either Carey or Ribiero. It is also clear to me that whoever our front two are e.g. Maynard and Haynes they don't link up and stay withing say 15 yeards of each other for knock ons and link play like the great partnership of Sheringham and Shearer for example. They were always in close proximity and therefore able to rely on each other and maximise their play. Do we not coach this to our strikers?

I also do not understand why when using Sproule as an impact player we don't make it our goal to get the ball to him as often as possible to try and cause as much mayhem as possible. Tinnion always looked for Murray and Murray was always making his run because he knew Tinnion was looking for him. We should employ the same tactics with Sproule, otherwise he has no chance of making an impact. That was the case again yesterday except for his first touch. After that, WE, City, locked him out of the game. Totally wasted.

Finally, when we need to win the game like yesterday, we should have brought on Clarkson, shouldn't we?

In summary.

Players in their natural positions

• A midfield built around Hartley - This is essential and means LJ doesn't play in the same line up. Equally alongside Hartley it has to be Snow, Elliott or Skuse. I would say Skuse at the moment

Up front we should bring back John Akinde. We are looking small and lightweight up front again and Akinde offers Size, Pace and Strength as well as goals and an excellent touch on the ball. The excuses built around young players falls on deaf ears with me. Akinde deserves to at least be on the bench if not starting games. If Ribeiro is good enough for Wales, then we should play him and build up his ability in our team. Also, young Tristan Plummer can be a right handful and could play either left or right wing in my opinion, so he offers us some width if we want it. young players need blooding in our team and I cannot see our form dipping by playing players in their right positions or including Akinde, Ribiero and Plummer in our team or bench

Do you agree?

I cetianly agree, its equally my view that we are playing players becuase they are on paper our best players (or that of the view of the manager), but as you say we are accomdating personel in a formation thats doe not appear to suit the player or the team overall.

I liken it to the English national team over the years how many times have we seen a player selected for England and then be played in a way that is totally alien to why the player was selected in the first place.

My view as that the team fundementaly needs an "out" ball or outlet...we are fortunate that we have a guy (Hartley) who can acurately pass the ball over a distance. We despertalely need a pace man out wide be it Haynes or Sproule and they must be allowed to hug the touch line and concertate on moving forward. If the formation needs to be compensated to make up for their lack of defensive input then so be it, but Sproule was given one opportunity yesterday and he created a reasonable cross which created a decent chance. When the team is under pressure or the game is scrappy knowing that you have a player in space would make all the difference. We are to reliant on inticate possesion football to be able to create chance and the reality appears to be that we are struggling with this....time for Plan B!

Well I think today, again, validates my post. 4 central midfielders - SHOCKING! Taking Evander Sno off today - SHOCKING! Leaving Lee Johnson on today - SHOCKING

Build the midfield around Hartley. Only one of Sno, Skuse or Elliott can play alongside him. Haynes should have gone out wide today, not been substituted, giving us two wingers in himself and Sproule

Everyone says it's not rocket science - I AGREE

If I was Elliott or Sno I would be asking GJ why I am constantly being asked to play out of position where I am less able to 'affect the game' and in playing me out of position it ruins the balance of the team.

We have a good squad, but for the reasons stated in my original post, we are no threat to the opposition and if I was a Bristol City player right now, I would be very frustrated and would be telling the gaffer about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to be a professionally qualified, highly paid Championship Manager to sort this one out

Well I think today, again, validates my post. 4 central midfielders - SHOCKING! Taking Evander Sno off today - SHOCKING! Leaving Lee Johnson on today - SHOCKING

Build the midfield around Hartley. Only one of Sno, Skuse or Elliott can play alongside him. Haynes should have gone out wide today, not been substituted, giving us two wingers in himself and Sproule

Everyone says it's not rocket science - I AGREE

If I was Elliott or Sno I would be asking GJ why I am constantly being asked to play out of position where I am less able to 'affect the game' and in playing me out of position it ruins the balance of the team.

We have a good squad, but for the reasons stated in my original post, we are no threat to the opposition and if I was a Bristol City player right now, I would be very frustrated and would be telling the gaffer about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to be a professionally qualified, highly paid Championship Manager to sort this one out

What he said :disapointed2se:

God, this is repetitive.

Sno does not play CM for us. His passing isn't very good and his stamina is terrible. That's why he got subbed. LJ didn't get subbed because then you'd be playing 4-1-5.

Both are right-sided players. Round pegs, round holes remember?

Elliott out of position? Hardly.

God, this is repetitive.

Sno does not play CM for us. His passing isn't very good and his stamina is terrible. That's why he got subbed. LJ didn't get subbed because then you'd be playing 4-1-5.

According to MINDJUICER Sno plays for Bristol City as a Target man :noexpression:

Last time I checked Elliott was a ball winning centre midfielder. Ergo on the right wing he was out of position.

Skuse is a light weight easy to push off the ball player, ergo in defence out of position.

There would probably be more balance switching the two of them around.

Last time I checked Elliott was a ball winning centre midfielder. Ergo on the right wing he was out of position.

Well yes, he would be if he was on the wing but he wasn't. He was playing right side of a 4-3-3, which is really more of a fluid 4-1-2-3 - as Hartley is consistently playing deep.

You could argue the angles are slightly different from being in the middle - but since he's been playing there all season, he should have got used to it by now.

Skuse is a light weight easy to push off the ball player, ergo in defence out of position.

I think his strength, balance and acceleration more than make up for his 'low' weight. For an attacking full-back, other attributes are far more important: tackling & marking, dribbling and crossing, heading and tracking-back.

Well yes, he would be if he was on the wing but he wasn't. He was playing right side of a 4-3-3, which is really more of a fluid 4-1-2-3 - as Hartley is consistently playing deep.

You could argue the angles are slightly different from being in the middle - but since he's been playing there all season, he should have got used to it by now.

I think his strength, balance and acceleration more than make up for his 'low' weight. For an attacking full-back, other attributes are far more important: tackling & marking, dribbling and crossing, heading and tracking-back.

I don't think there is nothing fluid about our system. Fluid is like Barcelona where players only follow a basic tactical framework. It's hard to judge what sort of framework we play.

With Hartley this suggests http://soccernet.espn.go.com/gamecast?id=2...&league=ENG. that he is encouraged to come from deep and get a shot on goal or he just does it himself and breking free of the shackles Johnson places on his players.

I don't think there is nothing fluid about our system. Fluid is like Barcelona where players only follow a basic tactical framework. It's hard to judge what sort of framework we play.

Maybe fluidity is the wrong word. In FM2010 they distinguish between fluidity and roaming. Fluidity is eg defenders attacking and attackers defending. Roaming is players going out of position to find space or support attacks.

Whatever you call it, I think it is one of our strengths at the moment. It means we can get players forward & unmarked - whilst covering them in case of counter.

I think our best chance today was when Sno, Haynes and Skuse (supporting) were 3 against 4 and Haynes hit the post. Maynard was about 30 yards behind the pace.

Obviously we're not Barcelona and a lot of Championship teams are more fluid than we are, but without it, we would be struggling even more to score.

With Hartley this suggests http://soccernet.espn.go.com/gamecast?id=2...&league=ENG. that he is encouraged to come from deep and get a shot on goal or he just does it himself and breking free of the shackles Johnson places on his players.

He plays so deep that at times he's like a defensive midfielder. I presume he and GJ agree on it as he's played there all the matches I've seen this season (missed the first 2 home games). I'm guessing he does it so he always has space without a lot of running... in this league with all the closing down and high tempo.

It's also quite apparent to me than Hartley has effectively taken on Vice-Captain duties and has sorted out our defence twice in consecutive games. I'm told the players respect him a lot.

It's easy to notice on corners but most times he goes forward, LJ stays back. A lot of people criticise the LJ - Hartley partnership because they're a very similar kind of player (actually because they need a scapegoat and are too lazy/cowardly to criticise anyone else) but I think they play well together.

God, this is repetitive.

It is repetive I agree... but only becuase the formation, tatics and personel does not change.

As for Sno's passing ability...have a look at last nights VERY brief highlights on the Football League show (available on iplayer)...his inch perfect slide rule pass to Haynes was City's best chance of the game. I make no apology for saying that I do not remember one single similar contribution from number 8. And it was keeping Johnson on the pitch that contributed in City surrendering the midfield late on and but for Gerkeen's heroics we would haver lost the game.

It is repetive I agree... but only becuase the formation, tatics and personel does not change.

As for Sno's passing ability...have a look at last nights VERY brief highlights on the Football League show (available on iplayer)...his inch perfect slide rule pass to Haynes was City's best chance of the game.

It was beautiful to watch - Sno is so graceful both on the run and as target man. Haven't seen the reply but IIRC, it was Haynes' run that made it and Sno could been a metre off and Haynes would still have got the chance.

However, for every lovely pass, Sno's made 4-5 bad ones.

In the first half, he beat their right back 4x on the inside and played a poor ball every time - all of which I saw perfectly from the Williams Stand. I'm pretty sure he passed straight into touch too at one point too.

I'm speculating here but all the bad passes I've seen Sno play (and it's about 20 now), it's always been from a still ball.

I make no apology for saying that I do not remember one single similar contribution from number 8.

Or anyone else on the team for that matter. LJ played quite a few nice balls in the first half.

And it was keeping Johnson on the pitch that contributed in City surrendering the midfield late on and but for Gerkeen's heroics we would haver lost the game.

I'm confused. Are you saying Marvin should have stayed on? Because LJ and Hartley were struggling to control the midfield by themselves all game.

It was beautiful to watch - Sno is so graceful both on the run and as target man. Haven't seen the reply but IIRC, it was Haynes' run that made it and Sno could been a metre off and Haynes would still have got the chance.

However, for every lovely pass, Sno's made 4-5 bad ones.

In the first half, he beat their right back 4x on the inside and played a poor ball every time - all of which I saw perfectly from the Williams Stand. I'm pretty sure he passed straight into touch too at one point too.

I'm speculating here but all the bad passes I've seen Sno play (and it's about 20 now), it's always been from a still ball.

Or anyone else on the team for that matter. LJ played quite a few nice balls in the first half.

I'm confused. Are you saying Marvin should have stayed on? Because LJ and Hartley were struggling to control the midfield by themselves all game.

What part of the field were the "nice balls" played? I certinly rremember a nice back heel on the half way line, but is this really enogh?

No need to be confused that exactly what I'm saying after Eliott went off, who I accept has not maintained his previous very high standards but still battles, and harries the opistion, the midfield emptied. Ipswich took control of this area of the pitch and dominated the last quarter. You may beleive that this was the case before hand and you may be right but it definately deterioated after Elliotts withdrawl. We had significant number of actacking options for Elliott to have been kept on the pitch...in my view Johnson was not one of then and therefore should have been replaced.

Maybe fluidity is the wrong word. In FM2010 they distinguish between fluidity and roaming. Fluidity is eg defenders attacking and attackers defending. Roaming is players going out of position to find space or support attacks.

Whatever you call it, I think it is one of our strengths at the moment. It means we can get players forward & unmarked - whilst covering them in case of counter.

I think our best chance today was when Sno, Haynes and Skuse (supporting) were 3 against 4 and Haynes hit the post. Maynard was about 30 yards behind the pace.

Obviously we're not Barcelona and a lot of Championship teams are more fluid than we are, but without it, we would be struggling even more to score.

I think Fluid is the last word I would use to describe us at the moment, and this roaming stuff your going on about I haven't seen any of that either. We look disjointed, we lack shape, our build up play is one paced and our movement is non existent. West Brom are fluid, were a million miles away from playing like them.

I think Fluid is the last word I would use to describe us at the moment, and this roaming stuff your going on about I haven't seen any of that either. We look disjointed, we lack shape, our build up play is one paced and our movement is non existent.

Build-up was one-paced, 1 for 4, not bad.

What part of the field were the "nice balls" played? I certinly rremember a nice back heel on the half way line, but is this really enogh?

All of them on the right wing, all first half. Quite a few short passes creating space in the middle too. LJ and Hartley combined nicely several times.

No need to be confused that exactly what I'm saying after Eliott went off, who I accept has not maintained his previous very high standards but still battles, and harries the opistion, the midfield emptied. Ipswich took control of this area of the pitch and dominated the last quarter. You may beleive that this was the case before hand and you may be right but it definately deterioated after Elliotts withdrawl.

Perhaps because we replaced him with a forward...

So you think we are playing fluid football, with good movement and that our team has good shape?

I think we are quite fluid. Movement is reasonable. Both are improving.

Shape is good when LJ is playing, generally poor without.

Depends what you're comparing us with - compared to other styles suggested on this forum in the last 2 days, all are superb.

I think we are quite fluid. Movement is reasonable. Both are improving.

Shape is good when LJ is playing, generally poor without.

Depends what you're comparing us with - compared to other styles suggested on this forum in the last 2 days, all are superb.

Don't you think if we had reasonable movement and good shape we'd be playing better football than we currently are and looking more dangerous? The fact we score so few goals suggests to me were not fluid and our movement rarely troubles any defences. Our general play is slow and one paced, we play in staight lines, we don't have anyone making clever diagonal runs. We have completely abondoned width, also yesterday both Hartley and Johnson sat in the midfield with neither getting box to box, and Elliot was completely anonymous because he was played on the right. You say shape is good with Lj playing, but often he fails to track back and simply plays his own game (doesn't make us fluid by the way). You seem to think without LJ we would lose all shape which in my opinion is odd, i'm sure you could swap LJ for Skuse, Elliot or Sno in the middle and we wouldn't miss him.

Don't you think if we had reasonable movement and good shape we'd be playing better football than we currently are and looking more dangerous?

Many of our attacks look good until the final ball.

We are going through a bad patch, still don't have a decent partner for Maynard, neither his nor Haynes' movement is good enough and we're not playing them into space.

The fact we score so few goals suggests to me were not fluid and our movement rarely troubles any defences.

In addition to the above we've had awful problems with viruses, injuries, driving without a license etc yet our scoring rate is in the top 33% of the Championship.

we play in staight lines

What do you mean by this?

We have completely abondoned width

Apart from Sno and Elliott allegedly playing on the wing.

also yesterday both Hartley and Johnson sat in the midfield with neither getting box to box

Even though LJ had a couple of good chances on goal... :rolleyes:

and Elliot was completely anonymous because he was played on the right

Yeah, who'd have thought a right-footed central midfielder would suck on the right side of a central midfield pair?

You say shape is good with Lj playing, but often he fails to track back and simply plays his own game (doesn't make us fluid by the way).

LJ's running is literally miles ahead of the rest of the team this season.

You seem to think without LJ we would lose all shape which in my opinion is odd, i'm sure you could swap LJ for Skuse, Elliot or Sno in the middle and we wouldn't miss him.

Hartley can probably perform that function this season but every time LJ has played this year he's earnt it.

Maybe fluidity is the wrong word. In FM2010 they distinguish between fluidity and roaming. Fluidity is eg defenders attacking and attackers defending. Roaming is players going out of position to find space or support attack

It's easy to notice on corners but most times he goes forward, LJ stays back. A lot of people criticise the LJ - Hartley partnership because they're a very similar kind of player (actually because they need a scapegoat and are too lazy/cowardly to criticise anyone else) but I think they play well together.

Firstly, dont try and tell us that you think a football game on your computer has any relevance to the real game because it hasnt.

As for the two central midfielders, it has always been the case that when one goes forward the other one sits and covers.

Its a basic part of the game.

I notice that you are the only one on the forum who cant see we are playing 4 in midfield, Sno and Elliot ARE playing as wide midfield men (no :noexpression: not wingers,but left and right midfield), its a fact. Sno has also at times been dropping deeper than McAllister to cover him in recent games.

Also you will not get the best out of Elliot untill he goes back to being played as a ball winning central midfield player, the position other clubs have bid big money to take him and play him in that position.

The only reason he isnt playing there is because LJ has got his spot,Hartley is 1st name on the teamsheet.

Firstly, dont try and tell us that you think a football game on your computer has any relevance to the real game because it hasnt.

For that I'm gonna smack you down. :bruce_h4h:

As for the two central midfielders, it has always been the case that when one goes forward the other one sits and covers.

Hartley is playing deep...

I notice that you are the only one on the forum who cant see we are playing 4 in midfield, Sno and Elliot ARE playing as wide midfield men (no :noexpression: not wingers,but left and right midfield), its a fact.

OK, not only is it bloody obvious to anyone with a vague understanding of football that we're playing 4-3-3, but I have contacts at the club who've told me exactly what formation we are playing. I posted it on one of the other threads.

Still want to question it? If you or anyone else want to put up £100-£1000 on this, I would love to take your money off you.

Here are the rules:

1. I use an anonymous proxy.

2. Someone asks GJ if we are playing 4-4-2 and we record his answer.

3. When he says no, I get your money.

Let me know.

Also you will not get the best out of Elliot untill he goes back to being played as a ball winning central midfield player, the position other clubs have bid big money to take him and play him in that position.

Then we should sell him because that's where he's playing, and I'll tell you something else - he chose to play there.

For that I'm gonna smack you down. :bruce_h4h:

Hartley is playing deep...

OK, not only is it bloody obvious to anyone with a vague understanding of football that we're playing 4-3-3, but I have contacts at the club who've told me exactly what formation we are playing. I posted it on one of the other threads.

Still want to question it? If you or anyone else want to put up £100-£1000 on this, I would love to take your money off you.

Here are the rules:

1. I use an anonymous proxy.

2. Someone asks GJ if we are playing 4-4-2 and we record his answer.

3. When he says no, I get your money.

Let me know.

Then we should sell him because that's where he's playing, and I'll tell you something else - he chose to play there.

Your laughable ,Infact you spout so much rubbish its unreal, You cant know anyone from the club because you havent got a clue about the game.We are playing 4-4-2.

First of all you tell me Sno is playing as a target man and now you tell me hes playing upfront on the left :rofl2br: .

Stick to playing your computer games, there more you.

Your laughable ,Infact you spout so much rubbish its unreal, You cant know anyone from the club because you havent got a clue about the game.We are playing 4-4-2.

First of all you tell me Sno is playing as a target man and now you tell me hes playing upfront on the left :rofl2br: .

Stick to playing your computer games, there more you.

So you don't take up my bet, even though there's £100 - £1000 in it for you. Instead you repeat the same nonsense that you refuse to back up with your wallet. And then you insult me for playing FM, even though I bet half the people on here play it or CM. Nor have you even tried to argue why you think we're playing 4-4-2.

All are big signs that you know you've lost the argument. Now you can either admit it like a man, or continue BSing like a child.

Yes, we're playing Sno as a target man (the role, not position) at inside left. And if you want to argue the toss over definitions, then it just confirms you know you can't win the debate.

Do you want me to scan my Player's Bar tickets for you? I'm pretty sure they don't give them out to paying fans.

I know when a team are playing 4-4-2, i dont need to go to a computer to work this out,. You have ONLY been watching City for 16 months and your idea of formations show how little you have taken in!!

You waffle a load of rubbish on here cos you havent got a clue what you are talking about, football is some kind of science to you.

You dont understand what a targetman's role is,and you are so stupid that you think Sno is playing inside left. Do you not quite understand that an inside left would be playing by the side of Maynard!!!!!!

An inside left would not be behind his own left back covering at times either.

You dont understand that as a club we have always played with width, because you have only just started watching. You even admit you have never seen G Williams play more than once, but you know that other midfield players are better than him :rolleyes

Ive tried to keep it as simple as i can for you, perhaps you need to watch a bit more football and get an understanding of the game. Perhaps you have never played the game.

Ive a two teenage sons who play football games on the computer, neither of them like you understand the real game, in time you will, it will come to all three of you.

P.S, Once someone on here starts talking bets and money we all know there argument is flawed and basically are spouting Bollox :yes:

By the way, how many City games have you ever watched???

I know when a team are playing 4-4-2

But it's plainly obvious to everyone on here who understands football that you don't. And to those who don't understand football, your cowardly refusal to put your money where your mouth is tells them everything they need to know.

You dont understand what a targetman's role is,and you are so stupid that you think Sno is playing inside left. Do you not quite understand that an inside left would be playing by the side of Maynard!!!!!!

Uh, that would be a centre forward. Now I know that inside left is an old term but saying he's the guy on the left of the forward 3 in a 4-3-3 is too much typing for my liking.

An inside left would not be behind his own left back covering at times either.

Actually, yes he would be, in a 4-3-3. Not that Sno ever does it.

You dont understand that as a club we have always played with width, because you have only just started watching. You even admit you have never seen G Williams play more than once, but you know that other midfield players are better than him :rolleyes

First sentence - utterly redundant.

Second sentence - strawman argument. Shall I translate for you?

P.S, Once someone on here starts talking bets and money we all know there argument is flawed and basically are spouting Bollox :yes:

Yes, putting my money where my mouth is means I'm "spouting Bollox". Your refusal to put your money where your mouth is means you're not "spouting Bollox".

That sure makes sense. :liar:

Actually, not sure why I bothered to respond. Maybe if you actually engage with debate rather than spout 100% unsupported BS / insults, I'll bother next time too.

But it's plainly obvious to everyone on here who understands football that you don't. And to those who don't understand football, your cowardly refusal to put your money where your mouth is tells them everything they need to know.

Uh, that would be a centre forward. Now I know that inside left is an old term but saying he's the guy on the left of the forward 3 in a 4-3-3 is too much typing for my liking.

Yes, putting my money where my mouth is means I'm "spouting Bollox". Your refusal to put your money where your mouth is means you're not "spouting Bollox".

Actually, not sure why I bothered to respond. Maybe if you actually engage with debate rather than spout 100% unsupported BS / insults, I'll bother next time too.

Just answer this question , how many football matches have you ever actually watched ?

Simple question.

We set out to play a 4-4-2 on saturday that I can assure you, Much liek last season the 'wingers' would have been asked to tuck in. Sno was better on teh left than Elliot was on teh right because Sno is a skillful player. I wonder if Snos performance was down to him following instructions or not? Next time you load FM up try playing your ball winning central midfielder as a RW and play your skillful AM as a LW, I bet you a £100 taht your AM will have a better game than your CM.

Sno has never been played as a target man, If you want to talk in FM terms he would be a advanced playmaker, Eliott would have been a defensive winger I suspect.

If you really want to talk in FM terms I will rip your 'tactics' apart based on FM.

Archived