IGNORED

George Ferguson In Ep

View from the Dolman

Someone needs to put this george ferguson fella firmly in his place!

Personally I thought Colin Sextone scored a bit of an own goal calling him a 'pain in the backside'. Ferguson has put forward what he sees as alternative planning solutions and it's up to CS to present a reasoned argument against his proposals.

Childish name-calling (as opposed to sensible debate) doesn't help our case, but rather plays into Ferguson's hands, giving him an opportunity to state his case again and to claim the moral high ground. Which he has just done.

Personally I thought Colin Sextone scored a bit of an own goal calling him a 'pain in the backside'. Ferguson has put forward what he sees as alternative planning solutions and it's up to CS to present a reasoned argument against his proposals.

Childish name-calling (as opposed to sensible debate) doesn't help our case, but rather plays into Ferguson's hands, giving him an opportunity to state his case again and to claim the moral high ground. Which he has just done.

I disagree. Its nothing to do with George Ferguson - he has a cheek! Why does he think he has a say?? has he got 20 million quid??

I disagree. Its nothing to do with George Ferguson - he has a cheek! Why does he think he has a say?? has he got 20 million quid??

Agree with that but by slagging him rather than debating with him, we've just given him a stage to air his views once more and also to come across as some kind of heroic champion of the down-trodden citizens.

So instead of "you're a pain in the arse", what Colin should have said was "thanks for your input George, but you are wrong because...." etc.

Agree with that but by slagging him rather than debating with him, we've just given him a stage to air his views once more and also to come across as some kind of heroic champion of the down-trodden citizens.

So instead of "you're a pain in the arse", what Colin should have said was "thanks for your input George, but you are wrong because...." etc.

Tend to agree. While I don't agree with what GF has come out and said.. he's only responding to a comment that CS perhaps should have kept to oneself. GF might irk many people, but he also has a lot of supporters around here. The likes of who could make our life a pain when it comes to getting the Sainsbury's app through the door.

Tend to agree. While I don't agree with what GF has come out and said.. he's only responding to a comment that CS perhaps should have kept to oneself. GF might irk many people, but he also has a lot of supporters around here. The likes of who could make our life a pain when it comes to getting the Sainsbury's app through the door.

which he knows. He is a very smart business-man first and fore-most.

Ferguson doesn't actually say anything of substance with the soapbox the EP have seen fit to give him.

He just whines about a load of planning decisions he didn't make money from and purely co-incidentally I am sure does not agree with.

Boo-*******-hoo.

His position is that because he thinks that it is more appropriate to build something else, the club should pay an extra £15m or so towards building that.

My position is he should put up the £15m or shut his pie hole.

Ferguson doesn't actually say anything of substance with the soapbox the EP have seen fit to give him.

He just whines about a load of planning decisions he didn't make money from and purely co-incidentally I am sure does not agree with.

Boo-*******-hoo.

His position is that because he thinks that it is more appropriate to build something else, the club should pay an extra £15m or so towards building that.

My position is he should put up the £15m or shut his pie hole.

I think he talks a lot of sense regarding the poor planning decisions that have disfigured Bristol since WW2. Don't think he would have made any money out of the redevelopement of Broadmead in the 50's.

I think he talks a lot of sense regarding the poor planning decisions that have disfigured Bristol since WW2. Don't think he would have made any money out of the redevelopement of Broadmead in the 50's.

I don't, I think he's talking cock and all of those developments have improved the city, he just doesn't like them because they aren't his pie in the sky schemes that are financially unviable and have nobody willing to fund them.

The Broadmead work he is talking about is Cabot's that was completed last year not anything from the 50s.

I don't, I think he's talking cock and all of those developments have improved the city, he just doesn't like them because they aren't his pie in the sky schemes that are financially unviable and have nobody willing to fund them.

The Broadmead work he is talking about is Cabot's that was completed last year not anything from the 50s.

Well as he's an architect I'm assuming he's talking from an architectural point of view and I agree with him.

His argument about Ashton Gate, you know the big metal and concrete football ground next to the tower block, has nowt to do with architecture.

I was referring to his opinion of developements around the harbourside, Temple Quay etc.

Possibly another topic, or a letter from RL Smith in the Evening Post.

George Ferguson wasn't asked to provide alternative plans for Ashton Gate by the owners.

I don't think the plans he's drawn up have been costed and he's not come up with a way of financing the scheme (that I know of), this would have to be built by someone else, take considerably longer before getting a return (possibly holding up the stadium build) and most probably not offer the same return as the straight forward sale of Ashton Gate.

So all in all it's pie in the sky and that's why CS said he's a pain in the backside.

He likes giving his opinion and making plans for things which have nothing to do with him, in short he's a busybody.

If he's so keen on affordable housing for the area he could consider converting the Tobacco factory and his apartment.

This would kill two birds with one stone, create housing for the less well off in the area and remove some of the competition from the more traditional drinking establishments that have suffered since the opening of his bar.

It's nice to see City taking the initiative and the debate into the locals patch prior to releasing any plans, or reacting to an evening post exclusive and the criticism that always follows.

didn't tomf say he would try and get ferguson to come on here and explain his intentions are we any closer to finding out if he will

I haven't actually seen him to ask.. even though he lives on the same floor as our office he's never in. I'll see if he's on his email.

I haven't actually seen him to ask.. even though he lives on the same floor as our office he's never in. I'll see if he's on his email.

cheers i think it will be interesting to hear what he has to say when he gets asked proper questions about his intentions and not from some half baked ep reporter or his own private blog where he can write any old rubbish and not get taken to task over his views

George Ferguson wasn't asked to provide alternative plans for Ashton Gate by the owners.

I don't think the plans he's drawn up have been costed and he's not come up with a way of financing the scheme (that I know of), this would have to be built by someone else, take considerably longer before getting a return (possibly holding up the stadium build) and most probably not offer the same return as the straight forward sale of Ashton Gate.

So all in all it's pie in the sky and that's why CS said he's a pain in the backside.

I know and agree with what you say. Point is that despite the "minded to approve" decision, planning permission for the stadium is not yet in the bag, never mind the Sainsburys application. So the club's job at the moment is to continue with the PR initiative which SL & CS have run so well to date, to court public opinion and definitely NOT to piss off those who aren't onboard with our plans.

Colin Sextone was just voicing what a lot of us think about George Ferguson's interference but unfortunately he said it out loud. He might have chosen his words more carefully rather than play into the hands of the naysayers by appearing to slag them off.

Christmas List:

Colin: 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie.

George: 'Mind your own Business' by Hank Williams.

Archived